NTL-20 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 06/17/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Cort: NTL-20
I love the sound this guitar gives. I like fat raw sound, and that is what this guitar gives me. It has a deepness to it, with good mids and lows. I think that this guitar would be good for any kind of music really.
 7.8
 8.8
 6.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
NTL-20 Reviewed by: fifer, on june 17, 2011

Features: I don't have all that much info ont his guitar but I will do my best to try and describe it. This specific guitar was made in Korea, I'm not sure what year, I'm thinking 2000 or 2003, I can't tell from the serial number. It has 20 frets. I believe the top is solid sitka spruce, the back is solid mahogany, while the sides are laminated mahogany. The neck is mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard. The body style is that of a mini jumbo. This guitar does not come with electronics, but the guy I got it from placed a undersaddle pickup with a volume roller. The tuners are Grover super rotomatic I believe. It has binding on the top and back of the body, on the neck, and goes all the way up to the headstock, which says "Cort" in cursive and it has a very nice little inlay as well. One last thing, I believe this guitar has a dove tail joint. Idk if that helps at all or not. // 9

Sound: I love the sound this guitar gives. I mostly play fingerstyle and folkish type music, using my fingers for the most part. I like fat raw sound, and that is what this guitar gives me. It has a deepness to it, with good mids and lows. The highs aren't as present as they could be, but it doesnt't bother me. I think that this guitar would be good for any kind of music really. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I got it used, so this info might not be very helpful. It has very nice action, one of the lowest I have seen on Acoustic guitars. The neck is straight and everything is pretty clean. There were some scuff marks here and there, most of which don't go through to the wood. The previous owner placed a clear pick guard, which imo doesnt't look so well, only because I am not a fan of plain pick guards. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far it is very good. I love the sound, I love the quality, and I love (for the most part) the look. I have only used it once in a performance. It didn't let me down. I am planing on using it again, whenever I perform, this is likely to be my choice guitar. I hardly ever use a strap; as a fingerstylist, I play sitting down almost 100% of the time. I'm not sure if the strap button on the side of the neck joint is after market or if it was like that already, but it is on there really well. The bottom button is a jack, but it is missing the screw part, so I need to fix that soon. The hardware seems very good and reliable, especially the tuning pegs. I think I would use it in a gig without a back up, but I would definitely take some extra strings just in case, but I would do that with ANY guitar; you never know when a strings is going to break. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar matches the stile that I play very well. I have been playing guitar for about 6 years or so, but only been playing fingerstyle for maybe 3 years; songs like Andy Mckee's "Drifting", Trace Bundy's "Dueling Ninjas"... Other Acoustic guitars I have (in order of my favorites besides this one): Epiphone Masterbilt EF500M, Epiphone EJ200ce, and an old (from the 70s?) Fender. This Cort is by far my favorite of the lot though. I love everything about it, with the exception of the pick guard, but that is after market, and if you are buying one of these (although I believe they don't make them any more) then you likely wont have a pick guard. If it were stolen, I might look for another one, and if I found one, and had the money, I would definitely buy it. // 9

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ MR710F SE NAT 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 03/05/2014