Exotica Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 05/30/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Dean: Exotica
Dao wood gives this instrument a complex & warm tone with great mid-tone range.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.2
 Features: 9.5
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (5) pictures (4) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Exotica Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Features: Wow, stunningly beautiful blonde guitar. Pearl dot inlays with pearl around the body and around the sound hole. The bridge is very unique and flows perfectly with the guitar. It's got a cutaway body for access to higher frets too. // 10

Sound: The Exotica is an electric/accoustic with active electronics. A 9V battery powers the 5-band equalizer sub bass, bass, mids, treble, bright, volume and an anti feedback switch, which comes in handy alot. I mean what can I say, Martin guitars watch your backs! I love the sound that I get out of this anywhere from Nirvana Unplugged sound, to John Mayor, to Frigan. Who ever else the sound is wow! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is nice and light with minimal twang. I got it in perfect condition, no flaws. Nothing. Nothing has had to be re-adjusted to make the action better so I mean its perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been with me thru my talents shows woo, relaxed accoustic gigs at parties, sing alongs by the campfire with all the friends, I mean its grown up with me and nothing has gone wrong yet! And I take it everywhere! It's always in the backseat of my car waiting to be played cuz she knows shes never going to fail me! the finish will be there forever on the body. The only thing thats wearing out a tiny bit is the bridge. The staining on the bridge is wearing off from palm mutes and stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: One word perfect. I'de go out and buy 10 of these in the event it got stolen 10 times! I love this thing SO much. I've writin countless songs with it! it's so perfect it got me a girlfriend! But then again that was part guitar and part musician. Still, I love it. // 10

Exotica Reviewed by: metalhead601, on july 14, 2010

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: There are 20 frets I believe, the neck is semi fat and the frets are a pretty normal size for an acoustic. It is a 12 string, the body and the neck are made of ash and there is a transparent finish on it giving it a very nice Shine but also showing the beauty of the wood. There is a volume control, treble, middle, and bass because it is an Acoustic electric. It came with a case and a strap... // 10

Sound: It suits my style because I play a wide variety. It is best for melodic calm music however. I use a Peavey and the phaser thats built in. If you put any distortion in it it will get wicked feed back so you have to have it on clean or just play acousticly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It's set up pretty good, there is absolutely no fret buzz and the neck is very slick so you can move around pretty easily. I'm pretty sure that everything is aligned properly seeing as there is no buzz or warping to the neck. There are no flaws that I've found so far. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it would take a live show, as long as you're not going to break it on stage. Hardware looks like it will last a very long time. The one strap button is very solid and seems like it is impossible to move around. I would use it on a gig without a back up if I was playing calm melodic music all the time. I believe that the finish is nice and durable so.. Ya // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, blues, jazz, harmony, peaceful, and a little classical. It suits the styles that are calmer and it sounds beautiful. I've been playing for about 7 years and I own a Fender squire strat, a dime Dean razorback 10k, a DR epiphone, a bc rich bich, a little Fender amp, a little Crate amp, a medium peavey, a Cry Baby Dunlop wah pedal, a Fender flanger pedal, and a DigiTech effects pedal. If it was stolen or lost I would buy a new one or track the damn thing down. I love the sound of its acoustics, hate... Nothing, favorite feature is the electric or Acoustic option. // 9

Exotica Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2004

Features: This guitar feature a flamed maple top, grover tuners, spruce neck with a rosewood fretboard, the inlays are mother of pearl, the matching color continues around the sound hole. It has a beautiful blonde finish. It is slightly larger than your standard cutaway guitar. It is equped with a Dean pick-up, and features 22 fret (I think). // 10

Sound: The Exotica can be played in all acoustic situations. My favorite is solo numbers with a blues style backround. The volume is great and the sound is even as sweet plugged in as by its self. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything seemed to be in place when I got the guitar and it really hold up well. I am a stickler for my instruments. They must have the right sound or I will not play them. The pickup amazed me Dean makes a fine pickup. The action was perfect I had a pro look it over for me and he said if I were to move the actuion one way or the other it would not be perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live play is the best for this instrument I have played it live, and I was told the tone was amazing. Grover tuners are the best I am sure they will withstand the years to come. I had to put a starp button on my guitar but the origianl button has never let me down. The finsih will hold for years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock/blues and acoustic numbers I can do all this in some sences. I have played for years I enjoy my time with my instruments, I own a les paul gold top, an I Banez SA series Transparent Amber, and the Dean. I would be upset if it was stolen I would get the same thing but it would have to meet my standards. I can outplay most of the top names like Taylor and Martin, even if they were of a higher price. // 10

Exotica Reviewed by: alex lifeson7, on may 09, 2008

Purchased from: a little store

Sound: I play all sorts of stuff, mostly classic rock, and blues. One this guitar I play all sorts of stuff, from just basic chord strumming, to stuff like kansas and zeppelin, to stuff such as what that kid in august Rush does. I play this without an amp mostly, when I do use an amp I use a 65W Fender Princeton. Obviously if you crank the volume and sit near the amp, you are going to get huge feedback, since this is an acoustic guitar. I can get a wide variety of tones from this guitar, since it has all the tone controls (presence, treble, middle, and bass). You can get a very bright sound, or a dark deep, mellow sound, really anything you want. It suits my music style good as well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup pretty good, the action is fairly high, I would change that for sure, haven't tried yet, so I'm not sure how much lower I could go before I get some fret buzz. The flame maple top was perfectly bookmatched, definitely no complaints there. Can't really find any flaws, one tiny thing is that sometimes it's a pain to get the battery out of the compartment (if you leave the battery in, it will go dead, even if it's not being used). Not a big deal at all though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will withstand Live playing. I haven't played it live, but I do play it quite a bit, and it has been dropped (not by me, I take loving care of my instruments) without any damage. The hardware seems like it will last, the tuners are good. There is only one strap button, on the bottom, it is solid. Definatley can depend on this guitar, could be played Live without a backup, although I'm not sure why you would want to do that. The finish is good, there are some tiny basically unseeable scratches from picks, which is normal on any guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a pretty good match for my style. I've only been playing for 2 years, I own a Epiphone mahogany SG as well, and am getting a strat or a tele very soon. If this guitar was stolen, I would be angry, then I would find the guy Who stole it, demand money for the guitar, and then go and buy another acoustic guitar, such as a Garrison or Epiphone masterbilt. Not because I don't like this guitar, but just becuase I would want to try something different. My favourite thing about this guitar would have to be it's looks. The flame maple top is absolutely gorgeous, especially with the dark blue (almost greyish) color that I have (the color of my guitar is much darker than the color on most pictures). The abalone fret markers and inlay around the soundhole are also sweet. The feature that I hate, at least dislike, would have to be the shape of the bridge. I compared it to a Takamine acoustic electric, and another Dean, and they all sounded fairly similar, so I picked this one because it looked way better than any of the other ones. // 9

Exotica Reviewed by: Jrod4928, on may 30, 2014

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: Keep in mind... all of these review ratings are considering the fact that the guitar was less than $200 for me (brand new). The guitar I had was a laminate Cocobolo top that looks amazing. The dean pre-amp/tuner is usable, but it isn't very accurate and has a tendency to feedback if you're not careful (moreso than most acoustics). The finish is glossy and smooth. It came with D'Addario strings. The body is slighly smaller than a jumbo, but just as thick as a normal jumbo guitar. The scale is 25.25 if I recall correctly. My guitar included the APHEX system in the pre-amp that is supposed to make the guitar sound better (it does, but only because the guitar needs a lot of help). I give it a 9, simply because of the look of the guitar and the APHEX system and onboard tuner. // 8

Sound: There are two tones to discuss: 1) acoustic tone 2) acoustic/electric tone. ACOUSTIC TONE: Not good. It sounds like an acoustic, but there are no resonating harmonics or overtones to speak of, it's not a very complex sound. The body is simply amplifying the strings at the most basic level. It'll be great for a beginner, but if you care about having a complex tone, you won't find it here. The sound projection is not great, and there is not much clarity between notes. Its sound accentuates the mid-range and top end. Bass is scarce. ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC: Without the APHEX system turned on, the guitar sounds like it does as described above. With the APHEX system turned on, the bass really was brought out and the sound was noticeably better all around, I was impressed with it. However, it still wasn't a very complex sound, and the APHEX system tends to muddy up the sound even more. I give the sound a 6 because as just an acoustic, I'd give it a 5, but because of the APHEX system, it makes the guitar somewhat usable in a performance setting. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looked awesome, the setup was decent, however it had fretbuzz, but not too bad. Action was fairly low for an acoustic. It was out of tune, but I don't expect it to be in tune after traveling by mail across the country. The frets did not snag my hand when sliding, however they need to be smoothed out on the playing surface because the string felt like it was "grinding" into the frets when bending strings. The real problem I had with the guitar wasn't the factory's fault. When I received it through shipping FEDEX, the box was damaged and so was the guitar... I won't get into specifics because it wasn't the factory's fault. I give it a 7 because the fret issue. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bet it would stand live playing and severe abuse - based solely on the fact that it held tune and didn't show any playability issues when it sustained damage from being mailed from CA to PA. Everything seemed solid as far as I could tell. I would not gig without a backup though - I don't trust the electronics, and I feel like I'd need a secondary tuner to double check the suspect Dean tuner. The finish would never wear off as far as I could tell - it's thick. I am surprised that with how much abuse the guitar withstood from shipping that it doesnt crack or creek when I put it through some stress tests (pushing against the body or neck to see if it's stable). // 9

Overall Impression: I like a well rounded, slightly bassy tone out of my acoustics, with very good note clarity. I have been playing on and off for 12 years or so, and I own a PRS, Carvin acoustic, and an Ibanez bass. Personally... I wouldn't buy this guitar again because it's not a good match for the tone I'm looking for, and the crappy tuner turns me away as well. Especially considering I'd use the guitar to play live performances - I need the tuner to work well and the guitar to sound good. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't replace it. I'd buy something else, such as an Ibanez AEL, my brother has one and it sounds great. I love how it looks I hate how it sounds and the tuner. I picked this one because it was different than the Ibanez AEL, and it had an onboard tuner that my Carvin doesn't have. I compared this guitar with the Carvin back-to-back and the Carvin blew it away in terms of everything except for the on-board tuner... because the Carvin doesn't have one. I rate it a 7 because of it's good appearance, the good features it has with the APHEX system, yet I lower the rating because of the crappy tuner and because of it's very average tone. // 7

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014