Tradition AK48 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 03/10/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Dean: Tradition AK48
The Dean AK48 is a high-quality acoustic guitar designed with the perfect blend of features and affordability. The AK48 has a spruce top and mahogany back & sides, the most popular combination of tonewoods for acoustic guitars due to their open, bright, yet warm and punchy tone quality.
 8.7
 8.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Tradition AK48 Reviewed by: Infamou$17, on march 10, 2008

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: Made in China, circa 2005 or so. Made with spruce and mahogany, and mine is the standard natural finish. Mine did not come with a pickguard, which is fine with me since I didn't really want one. I got the nice, sturdy Dean case to go with it. It has 20 frets, and the neck feels great for me. Action was a little high but not a huge problem, the fret buzz wasn't very bad at all even after playing the same strings for a while. The head looks like that of a metal guitar's, but it's not a huge detractor, the talon-looking abomination on the center of the guitar is one, that thing could only look decent with a cutaway. Other than that, solid-looking guitar. // 8

Sound: I like to play a couple of styles, but when I'm playing acoustic songs or covering Jack Johnson this is excellent. The real deal, however, is that this thing is so good at staying in tune that I will swear to you that you could leave the same strings in it for about a year and it would still sound great and stay in tune relatively well. Every note comes out defined well and it's not often that notes will drown each other out. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit high but it's nothing that can't get fixed. Flawless fit and finish. Looked great when I got it and, even a few scratches later, looks good now after 3 years of playing it. I got the shiny natural finish because it's the best-looking one that Dean uses for this model IMO, better than the ugly translucent blue and the red one looks goofy with the brown wood colors. White dotted inlays, black and white pinstripe-looking, stripes, around the sound hole. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will probably withstand Live playing, since you're not jumping around covering The Chariot on it, actually in playing this you will probably be seated in a small room since it isn't electric. There is only one strap button, it's on the bottom of the guitar, so you'd have to tie the other end to the head right behind the strings, which is what I did with some shoestring. Another strap button would have been awesome to have on here. I'd do a small gig without a backup, it's not necessary to have one. The finish is fine, but the guitar will scratch fairly easily. // 6

Overall Impression: This is good for my playing, a great guitar to learn on, if you treat it right it will play forever, sounds like a champ, just a solid little guitar. I wish I had another strap button for it, though. If it were stolen, I'd buy an Ibanez acoustic with a cutaway because I really like those and I have the money, but I would remember how great a deal this thing was for the money. I love the sound and dislike some of the looks. I'd recommend this to anybody Who wants an inexpensive acoustic that plays well and wants something that will last a long time. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014