Tribal Performer Review

review (1) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Tribal Performer Reviewed by: Pazz91, on june 08, 2011

Price paid: € 320

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This 22 fret cutaway Dean electro-acoustic guitar has: Select Spruce Top Mahogany Back and Sides 25-1/2" Scale Mahogany Neck Rosewood Fingerboard Tribal Design Inlays Grover Tuners Celluloid Binding Tribal Rosette Dean Electronics w/ Tuner Finishes: Classic Black For the price paid its features are quite rich especially the beautiful binding and the tribal inlay, also I especially love the bridge which has a unique shape not like most acoustics that have a quite standard shape. The electronics contain an built in tuner and a 4-band EQ with a volume meter that is powered by a 9-volt battery. The only feature that it lacks is 2 straps since it only has one at the bottom and I would like to have one or on the neck joint or like the LP. It was made in China probably in 2008-9 not sure there. // 8

Sound: I have a variety of musical styles including blues, rock and metal and I often use the Acoustic for specific songs such the "Unforgiven" (Metallica) or "Tears Of The Dragon" (Bruce Dickinson) and it suits me very well, I even play "Hangar 18" (Megadeth) on it which is clearly not for Acoustic but it still responds quite well. It plays both plugged and unplugged very good and it handles harmonics excellent, I often play harmonics on it using as Wah at the same time and I get a very sweet sound out of it. It has a full and rich tone, with good lower ends due to its large sounhoule and body. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar flyies hear. The finish, which gets quite complex in the bindings, is exelent, all electronics worked fine, frets were smouth, tuners clean and no flaws. Only the nut has a very small missallingment but it is very small. Taken in mind that it came from china the finish is perfect. The action is just fine for an acoustic, not to high not to low, and the only adgastment I wonted was to change strings because it has heavy gadged ones for strumming and I wonted thinner ones so I can make bends but that's just my taste, so very high marks hear. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this for 2 years and I have had no problems yet. This is most defenetly a reliable guitar that can withstand gigging. I personally never played it live but I know friends that are professorial and they use them. The hardware is simple and solid, the finish is very durable, I banged it many times and only a tiny piece of paint flew of that was on an edge, but I had left it many months in the summer sun, that gets very intense and HOT were I live (Cyprus, Mediterranean) and it was fine even the truss rod didn't change position. The only thing that can fail is the 9-volt battery that you need to play plugged but it lasts a long time and you have a warning light for when its low, changing it is a 30 second job anyway, so you must be ignorant for it to fail. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a versatile guitar that fits me perfectly, from strumming or bending strings, and it can fit many musical styles. I am very impressed from the quality and packet that come for the price. I have been playing for 5 years now so I know a decent amount of stuff. I have an electric guitar that is my main (PRS SE Paul Allender) and I play both of them through a Ashdown 40 DSP Valve amp which handles both guitars excellent. When I bought it I didn't do any research, I just went in the store and in 5 minutes chose it, I was in a rush because next day I was of for camping and I wanted it) that was one of my best gambles, I have had tens of positive comments for its aesthetics and its playability from processionals too. I just love that it is nit like all the rest acoustics that are I bit boring on finishes and inlays this stands out. If it was stolen/lost I would consider buying another Dean like the Exotica serious for a change. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014