V Wing Dove Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 04/02/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Dean: V Wing Dove
The feel of the slim neck contour of the V-Wing will make you forget you are playing an acoustic guitar! With a full, balanced sound and the onboard electronics package (with tuner) you can comfortably play "unplugged" or plug in with your choice of balanced or unbalanced outputs.
 9.1
 8.8
 9.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
V Wing Dove Reviewed by: scott58, on april 02, 2007

Features: This is a Dean guitar made in china new for 2007 and only 24 were made (I have 0012). Select spruce top, mahogany back & sides, rosewood fingerboard & bridge, custom design sound hole, black wing logo rosette, custom design Die-Cast tuners, Piezo pickup, buffer pre-amp w/built-in tuner, single cutaway, Series II headstock with abalone logo. Pearl blocks. // 9

Sound: I like spanish style picking and played acoustically it's almost to bright a sound for stuff like greensleeves, house of the rising sun etc. But I also like a lot of yes stuff and emerson lake and palmer and it lends itself well to that type of music. Through the amp it's a lot more versital and you can play a much wider range of music. This guitar really has a sound all it's own and would probably be a love hate kind of thing. I like it well enough. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The first one I recieved was damaged in shipping with a crack in the neck, but played well enough to find out I liked it. The second one (great customer service from the guitar place) was perfect out of the box. I had them put Martin Sp 11 strings on it before they shipped and it was really nice. It has a low action (with an electric neck) and fits me almost as well as my Icon. Very easy to play for an acoustic. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it a few weeks, but it's pretty good quality and very solid. Excellent finish, The electronics are very nice and it has an onboard tuner which is a very nice feature. Seems well made and dependable. The tuners don't have the same feel as the grovers, but they work well enough. The Martin strings were a good addition and I recommend those to anybody, but I think that's more a personal choice. I just like the feel of Martins. // 9

Overall Impression: I think most people are either going to love it or not. I got a white one. they also come in black which is what I originally wanted, but the fact only 24 are to be made swayed my decision. This guitar looks pretty different. It has a larger V head and doesn't look like anything else out there and really stands out in a crowd. This guitar plays well with others, especially martins and fenders that have deeper tones. They compliment each other really well and the bright sounds can really add something when played along side a Martin. I'm pretty happy with this guitar. I wanted something that was easier to play then a standard acoustic and that's certainly what I got and the onboard tuner is a huge plus. I'd buy it again. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014