CEA255OFT Review

manufacturer: Encore date: 03/31/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Encore: CEA255OFT
Based around Encore's acclaimed EA255 full-size steel strung acoustic, this exciting package will keep your guitar playing right on course!
 6.9
 7.1
 6.6
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
CEA255OFT Reviewed by: RockWriter1977, on november 06, 2006

Features: I've had this lovely acoustic for about 3 years now and the sunburst finish is as good now as it was when I bought it. In fact the whole thing still looks "showroom quality" even though I use it almost every day. I bought this as a replacement for my Takamine that got stolen by a so called "friend" (jealousy is a terrible thing). Bought as a "pack" it came with strap, gig bag, picks, tuorial CD and spare strings. // 7

Sound: In comparison to the Takamine which cost 4 times the price, the sound of this budget electro-acoustic is surpringly good. For the stuff I do currently (country rock and acoustic rock) it performs pretty well thru my Marshall AR50R amp and is heard nicely alongside other instruments (usually another guitar and keboard). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: "Out of the box" the guitar needed a little fine tuning, which you'd expect, but once sorted the sound was nice and full, but not overpowering, even when practicing on my own thru the amp. Feedback, even at fairly high volumes in a small room was minimal and only required small tonal adjustments to keep them same performance on stage. Over all, the fit and feel was very good for a budget madel. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I said at the top, with the three years of almost daily playing it's had, it's hardly showing any wear to the frets, pick plate or the body. I don't think I'd replace it with anything better for the price. Used it in several "guesting" gigs with local bands and never had a problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play country/acoustic rock and find this guitar handles it with fair ease. From Eagles to Bon Jovi, 38 Special and Extreme. I've been playing for about 5 years on and off but more seriously the last 3 years. I own the Encore CEA255ROFT and a Marshal AR50R Acoustic combo amp. If it were stolen, I would buy anouther as it's a good parctice/rehersal tool as well as being capable of Live use. Can't sat that I hate anything about it, I had to replace the strap as it was a little short for me, but apart from that, I've never had a problem with it. In comparison to other electro-acoustics this is a good peice of kit and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn to play. Wish it had? Hmmm, gold tuners maybe? // 8

CEA255OFT Reviewed by: LionHeart_sh07, on march 31, 2008

Features: I had this guitar as my starting guitar and I have have used it almost everyday for the last three years. It is an electro-acoustic, with a small pickup. It has tonal and volume control on the side (passive tone control, PS-900). It has 21 frets, unsure what wood but most likely a darker type of wood. The body is a dreadnought styled. Standard tuning pegs and bridge. Nothing was included with this guitar. // 7

Sound: My style of music is generally Acoustic varieties of pop and rock music, it's a rather basic guitar and the pickups sounds rather metallic when played through an amplifier, however I guess effects settings and various other controls could sweeten the tone of this guitar. Generally the guitar is just good for beginners Who need somewheres to start on guitar, and this provides the basics for it, it has a okish sound but it's nothing to go to town on. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: One of the most things most noticeable thing about this guitar is the high action on it, the necks pretty thick and for that reason it makes it rather hard to play Barre chords on this guitar, I have tried to fix this problem by using lighter strings, I guess it makes some small difference however barres are still a problem and ruins the experience of this guitar, however with the idea that this is a budget guitar I guess it is okay to an extent. As I do not know much of acoustic pickups, I will say the best that I know is that the pickups do work. The finish on this guitar upon recieving it was good, and there were no flaws. was pleased. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I as a amature player have not played any live gigs, however after having this guitar for three years, and mistreating it quite a bit it still feels like the first time I had it, it's okay it has stayed in tune despite being hit around, I often joke to my friends that I have a tank instead of a guitar, it's a very tough guitar, not the most playable but it sure does last pretty well and isn't easily damaged. // 8

Overall Impression: I play acoustic music and some rock/punk/grunge. This suits my basic needs in acoustic, it tends to work best when doing open chords than barre chords because barre chords do take quite a bit of strenght to do even with lighter strings on this guitar. This is just a basic guitar really, nothing more and nothing less. It's okay for the beginner. And it does what it can do. // 6

More Encore reviews rating category latest review
+ PK40 6.8 Bass Guitars 07/12/2012