AJ-10 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/07/2003 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: AJ-10
Select Spruce top. Mahogany body. 20 frets.
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
AJ-10 Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 07, 2003

Purchased from: Steve's Guitar Shop

Features: I believe the guitar is made in malasia, but I can't be sure. It has 20 frets and 6 strings. Not much of a shocker. The guitar has a great finish, the sound is excellent and the neck is one of the most confortable necks I've ever held among acoustic guitars. // 8

Sound: The sound is incredible considering that I only paid 200$ at first you may think that good sound needs a hefty price. Not in this case. In the begining the sound was amazing. Then all of a sudden is sounded like every note was dead. I brought the guitar to the shop and the guy smiled and told me you need new strings. I stick with gibson string, and the guitar sounds better than my frined's 600$ Fender. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is swift and clean. The string don't buzz and they respond as fast as you can play them. The guitar is a jumbo size, this means that the main body is larger than most guitars. I enjoy the oversized guitars because the tone is deeper and the bass is more audible. However many people find the guitar too big for them especially if you previously had an electric. Go try it out. Don't ever buy a guitar online because it looks nice. This guitar does look great but it may not fit you. The wood finish looks just as good as it does in the store. My freinds can't believe that I've had it for a year now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Let's see how could you break this baby? Dropping it, or smashing on stage. Yes, it can be used to play live. I used it for two gigs. We played "Tears in heaven" and "Nothing else matters", and the second time we played "Hotel california". The guitar was sturdier than I was on stage. It's almost always in perfect tune and as long as the strings aren't dead you'll impress the crowd. I have a tendancy to walk around my house with the guitar and it has bumped into a few walls, even with the beating I put it though the sound never changed. // 10

Overall Impression: I just read another review, it's unfortunate that the store from which he bought the guitar could not keep good inventory. the guitar sounds great, it bends and has great sustain, it sounds more lively and is more fun to play than my friend's 600$ Fender. all guitars sound bad if you expect them to sound great when you start playing. I love my guitar and it carries me though, all the clapton songs including classical gas. I can't find a single flaw with the guitar. it needs only to be tuned a few times when you change the strings, then it last for a few months before the next retuning. If you're a beginner or an intermediate I doubt you need something better than this. If you do, then maybe it's not the guitar that's making the mistakes... Peace out and play on! // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014