AJ-100 Review

review (1) pictures (1) 20 comments vote for this gear:
AJ-100 Reviewed by: ZigZag667, on july 10, 2009

Price paid: A$ 190

Purchased from: New Zealand Rockshop

Features: This beautiful dreadnought style guitar has a mahogany body with rosewood fret board, with an ebony hard top finish. It has 20 frets which are generously spaced on a Tune-O-Matic style bridge. It was made in china and I am completely stumped what year it was made. The tuners are non locking and I wouldn't have a clue as to what brand they are but everything on the guitar is still factory standard and it didn't come with any form of electronics or accessories. All the extars had to be purchased seperately. // 9

Sound: I play very different genres of music and this guitar is purely amzing when it comes to playing any sort of mellow song or accoustic on. Accoustic guitars have never been really good at doing fancy sound work eg. Pinch harmonics, tapping et... thats for the electric guitar, but just the plain old stumming and picking. I use this guitar with D'Addario EJ11 strings. The light gauge and bright sound add another dimension to this stunning guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was fairly good from factory, the only flaws I found were 2 of the tuners were REALLY tight to turn and made me think my strings were going to break most of the time and the action was a litlle low and most strings buzzed quite badly no matter the gauge but lighter strings don't buzz anywhere near as bad or as often. Apart from that there wasn't anything that was poorly assembled or finished. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has taken hard knocks and keeps on playing, its withstood several Live performances and I would happily use it again in any situation without a back up. The Strap buttons are really good and strong and the finish is really good apart from some wear around the sound hole but other than that the finish is fine. // 9

Overall Impression: If this guitar was stolen or lost I would most certainly buy another one, it fit's how I play and what I play really well so I don't see point in buying a guitar that I wouldn't be certain about. I've been playing for nearly three years now and this was my first guitar, I own a Squier Strat SE100 pack with about 6 pedals and a Marshall MG50DFX and I am most pleased with the accoustic sound I get from my AJ100. There was lots of comparing guitars from Aria through Ashton to Gibson and Taylor and I didn't like any of them compared to the Epiphone. There's nothing else I wish I hadve asked on purchase, Great guitar all round. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014