AJ-200S Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/08/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: AJ-200S
The Epiphone AJ-200S boasts a solid Spruce top for exceptional projection and resonance. The tone is deep and rich, and the neck is as playable as instruments costing hundreds more. If you're looking for a dreadnought acoustic guitar with more quality, playability and tone than fancy appointments, bells and whistles, look no further.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
AJ-200S Reviewed by: Zeppelin71, on june 01, 2005

Features: This acoustic guitar has many good qualities. I wanted a Gibson J45, but it was a little steep at the time, so I got an Epiphone dreadnought. It has 20 frets, but isn't a cutaway, so you won't really use those a whole lot. This was not an electric acoustic, but I made it one anywho and it works just fine for it. The tuners are nothing special, but keep tune very well. It's got a tobacco finish I think with beautiful white body and neck binding. Slap some Ernie Ball Earths (Light) and this guitar is excellent. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my style. My band cannot locate a local drummer, so we decided we'd tone it down and go acoustic. So I play mostly Eric Clapton and Marshall Tucker and some Led Zeppelin. Anything soft enough, but not too soft. This guitar suits all very well. You can play pretty much anything on it. Sadly, when used with my amp of choice (Line6 Spider II), the feedback is awful and the feedback buster makes it sound tinny. But that's my fault, not the Epi's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had no flaws and everything was placed perfectly. From the manufacturer, this guitar was excellently constructed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I take my Epi to my gigs with no backup. This guitar isn't really like an electric. There's not so much hardware. My pick up is a Barcus and Berry acoustic pickup and is really the only thing that can fail. Everything is solid. No worries. Does gigs fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, this was a replacement for the J45 I never had. But for the last year, I have been playing guitar and harp and this is an excellent piece of workmanship. My fav. feature would be the low end sound. It's rich and hums with attitude. If it were lost I'd replace it or buy the J45. Now, I don't know if there would be that much of a difference. There's nothing about this guitar I hate. It's my baby. I only wish it had come with a case. It's got some beauty marks now. // 10

AJ-200S Reviewed by: JPTheGuitarDude, on august 08, 2011

Features: I just moved to NC from NY and I could only take my two electrics with me, so I needed a decent Acoustic guitar for around 200 bucks. I had whittled the choices down to 3: Yamaha FG700S, Fender CD140S, and Epiphone AJ-220S. The Epi was my top choice, and Guitar Center had one, but it got sold before I got a chance to buy it. Luckily I saw the model from the previous year, the AJ-200S, on clearance for only $150. It had a scratch on it, but it didn't bother me enough to turn away from it. I snapped it up for a total of $257 including gig bag and accessories. It gets a point off for the scratch, but I consider it a battle scar. // 9

Sound: I'm a big fan of hard rock and prog, so some of the first things I played on it were Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Yes. The guitar sounds big and loud, which I love. The strings that it came with were old and rusted, so I slapped on some Elixir Polywebs, and it sounds awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The scratch was the one flaw with this guitar. It stays in tune, and the action is great. Goldilocks would have considered it just right. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I used to be very cautious about Epis, but I think they've really stepped up their quality control in the last couple of years. I probably wouldn't gig with it without a backup, but that doesn't mean that this guitar isn't durable. I would take a backup even if I had a Gibson J-45. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I struck gold with this guitar. It sounds good, it looks decent, and plays like butter. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a Gibson, but doesn't have Gibson money. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014