DR-100 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 02/14/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: DR-100
The DR100 features chrome hardware, a 25.5" scale, 1.68" nut width, set mahogany neck with dot inlays, mahogany bosy and select spruce top.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.7
 7.7
 7.4
 7.9
reviews (6) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
DR-100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 30, 2007

Purchased from: L&M

Features: Bought it and L&M last year, built in 05' I think. Japanese made so no Gibson, but good enough for camping so that I can beat the shit out of it and not worry about it too much. 20 frets and I'm assuming it's a laminated top. Body is pine and the neck is mahogany. The paint is nicely finished, I have the sunburst paint. It's your everyday dreadnaught, nothing special at all, and no electronics. Dealer gave me a decent gig bag, but it was nothing special either. // 7

Sound: Really I just use this guitar for jammin' around the camp fire, and so it suits that music, but with only 20 frets and really high action solo's are pretty much out of the question. The soind is decent, esspecialy for what I paid for it, although the guy gave me a deal because I was buying an amp the same day and I buy from him frequently. It's a nice enough guitar, just not special. No buzzing which is nice. Bridge isn't adjustable which is a pain in the ass beause you have to buy bone bridges and then file them yourself to lower the action, so just wait untill you change the strings, that's a good time to do it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Other than the action, the guitar is fine from the factory. The factory strings were surprisingly good and were slightly misleading. I thought this guitar would be better when I put new strings on it, and don't get me wrong, it does, just less than I expected. Other than that the factory set-up was perfectly fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, if you are a low budget band and are playing a small venue, this guitar will get you through. Durable and reliable, this is one of those guitars that you could throw it and the neck might break, but the body would still be good for a new neck. Nothing wrong with the body of the guitar, just isn't the nicest and isn't really show quality. Paint and finish are fine, they havn't worn at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, but not with this guitar, Rythm it's ok for I geuss, but it's no variax where you can acctualy solo on it. It's a great travel guitar, that's why I bought it. If it got taken, I'd probbably shop around, but if I could get this price, there aren't many guitars this good for this price. If I was buying right now, and this was my price range, I'd probbably look at ART & Luthrie. I play a Godin electric and it's awesome, A&L is a very reasonable guitar for the price and that would be my first choice now. Love the fact that it's just a good electric that will last a long time, and really don't hate anything about it, many things that I'm not crazy about. But nothing I hate about it. Love the price tag. It would be nice for it to be acoustic/electric but you can't have everything. // 8

DR-100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2008

Features: I am not sure what year or what country this guitar was made. Pretty sure Japan-China. I has 20 frets (about 15 you can reach). It has the classic dreadnought body. It's pretty basic. No electronics. Tuners are nice and big but I'm pretty sure there plastic. // 4

Sound: The guitar fills most of my needs. I wanted to bend o it so I bought extra light strings, not a good idea. Now instead of a small amount of buzzing it buzes about 15% of the time. Chords cum out good without buzzing. Power chords don't work as well lots of buzzing. All chorded songs sound good but don't try like Iron Man on it. Kirk's part in Fade Too Black sounds amazing on this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well action is very low and there is a lot of buzzin but other than that it's ok. I've only played for 6 months so I don't no much about the set-up Other than the buzzing. I have black and it's impossible to keep clean so I don't. The only scratches are on the pick guard and back but I did that. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Well my opportunity to play Live it held up but I wasn't acting like doing much jumping around and only played the guitar a porton of the song, I switched for the parts I had too. Every thing seems solid but It will ware with normall abuse. Especiallty the Pick flemsy pick guard. // 6

Overall Impression: I play most rock from Poison and Kiss to Iron Maiden and Metallica it is good for most songs. Every Fose Has Its Thorn sounds good for on a 6-string. I have a Squire P.O.S and an antique Airline acoustic. I hate the buzzing but it works. I want a Epiphone Ultra or Ultra II and a 75watt Line 6 or Spyder amp so I don't have to borrow other guys amp for playing with a drummer. I also wish I was Saul Hudson, don't we all? // 7

DR-100 Reviewed by: Captain_Obvious, on october 29, 2010

Features: 2010, Made in China, Spruce top, Mahogany body and neck, Chrome hardware, Rosewood fingerboard and bridge, 20 frets with dot inlays, Plastic bridge pins, Vintage Sunburst finish. Comes pre-strung, includes allen wrench for truss rod. I recommend replacing the strings, the stock strings are ok, but not for long. // 9

Sound: The sound is excellent. It sounds alot louder than it looks. Once again, I recommend changing the strings to fit what you want. The factory stock strings sound great out of the box, but wear very easily and it wont be long until you start to get pretty severe buzzing. Great for playing Classic Rock like Beatles and Led Zeppelin. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: For it's price, I don't think this could've gotten any better. The spacing between the strings and frets is fairly even from the nut all the way to the body. The only problem I have is when I got from the house in Lake Havasu, Az to the house in Orange, Ca. Going from the dry to moist climate started to make the strings buzz on the frets. But switching to Medium gauge strings from Light seems to have fixed that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be awesome for playing on a street corner or small live performances. I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than that. The strap buttons are more solid than any electric I've ever owned. So there's no fear of droping it when strapped to my back. So far, I've owned it for a little less than a year and it hasn't disappointed yet. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a pretty wide range of styles from Psychedelic, British Invasion, Progressive Rock, Alternative. This guitar has been pretty good for my needs. For it's price, I would definitely buy this again. The only problem I have with it is it has no cutaway for the top 7 frets. But I never go up there on Acoustic anyway, so it's fine. // 10

DR-100 Reviewed by: dazebook, on march 30, 2011

Features: This is an affordable gem. Made in China at Epiphone's exclusive Epiphone plant. Straight forward standard neck and scale. The neck is slightly large. Surprisingly it is wood construction and not HPL. Mahogany body and spruce top. This is what makes this 100 dollar guitar a gem. Used I picked it up for less than half that. I picked up the sunburst finish, which makes it look more like a beatles-esque guitar and is easy on the eyes. Standard cheapo tuners. No electronics. Dreadnought shaped body and no cutaway but it's an inexpensive piece not a martin. // 6

Sound: The sound is decently full and loud. Much louder than I expected. The strings on it are pretty bad, but I am planning on putting Martin Lifespan- coated strings on it. They sound great and are smooth as a baby's ass. That will make it sound a little better but not a whole lot. However There isn't a whole lot to complain about. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok so I bought it used no idea what the other owner(s) did or didn't do. I imagine they didn't do alot. The action was horrible. Seriously probably the worst action and unplayable massacre of a set up I have experienced. An easy fix though, don't let people fool you it's a crap guitar. I asked the sales associate at GC to fix it and in less than 2 minutes he adjusted the truss rod as low as it would go and it is as low as my Les Paul. Not super low but comfortable and no buzzing. If you need it really low, a. why are you buying a cheap acoustic, b. you will need to replace the bridge. Not worth it for such a low end buy... Really. No spaces in the bridge or problems with construction. Well made as I would expect built in their Chinese plant where they only focus on Epi, and quality. The finish is well, cheap. You aren't paying for a finish on this guitar, the natural might look a little nicer seeing the wood grain more, but I imagine not too much. It's just kinda flat. No biggie. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I think the construction is great, though with cheap parts. Real wood tone woods, plastic bridge pins, and nut. Eh, not unusual. Tuners on a guitar this price are going to be cheap and need to be replaced. It's a 20 dollar fix though not hard at all to do yourself if you get the right size to fit. Not all tuners are the same diameter. Make sure you get the right ones. Strap buttons are strap buttons. Get locking if you play gigs, if not it's not substantial. The finish again is cheap and thin and mine is bubbling a little. Not the wood, just the finish. It will wear easy. Summary- Good construction, cheap finishes and parts. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, pretty versatile. Great sound. With a little work it is a great player. I play blues and rock, mostly dark and depressing. Great though when I get manic and play The Beatles or upbeat music or irish traditional. It looks nice but no one will mistake it for even a higher end epiphone. Its a great "not gonna worry about it guitar". Stick it in your trunk without a case and go camping kinda guitar. Drop it in a puddle, eh whatever. Ding it up. Practice bongos on it. It will hold up and you won't be like... DUDE! That's my martin! I did compare it to a Yamaha of the same price range and a Cordoba Nylon string. This had the best sound and construction. I give it high marks for impression because of it's overall quality. You can easily change tuners and buttons. Good tone wood instead of laminate. It is a 9 for it's price range. // 9

DR-100 Reviewed by: Dawson_2010, on april 19, 2011

Price paid: £ 79.99

Purchased from: Internet

Features: Your standard dreadnought guitar, but with a better quality control and brand name behind it, is made by Epiphone(subsisdy of Gibson)and I think this one was made in China, although I know many come from Korea or Japan as well. 20 Frets as standard, which is pretty limiting when you need to go lower on the fretboard, but I own a SG so its ok and I think its maghoghany the fretboard. The body I think has a laminated top but the rest seems to be proper wood, mahogany and that. My Finish is the sunburst one, although you can get ebony and natural ones also, it hasnt faded at all and seems pretty sturdy and well done, so no complaints here. The bridge is standard, plastic I think. There are no electronics, a electro Acoustic version of this guitar would have been brilliant as one other guy on here mentioned. The tuners are standard chrome hardware, seem sturdy enough but not exactly Grover quality. It came with no accessories as I ordered online, for the price I think this is well above the norm, so a good 9! // 9

Sound: Really good sound for the price, sounded good out the box and the factory strings were well put on and tuned when I got it and lasted me ages before I needed to change them, really impressed. I play Acoustic stuff on this mostly, picking and strumming stuff, leave the heavier stuff to electric guitars, a great campfire guitar and seems pretty sturdy with a good full sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Really well set up out the box, no need to change anything for months until I broke some strings. Action is excellent, no buzzing and no need to adjust it as of yet and I've owned this well over a year now. Cant really complain for the price I paid, really good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Not really something to get up infront of a crowd with, it has no electical inputs, so you 'aint doing nothing fancy with this one, but is great for small crowds and friends. Hardware seems study enough, may replace the tuners, but probally wont as they are expensive. Strap buttons are great, although the one on the neck could be better placed to suit my playing style a bit better, I rarely use a strap anyways. Some finish has chipped off, but this is down to my mistreatment of the guitar, knocking it off stuff all the time! // 7

Overall Impression: Great for usual Oasis, coldplay and picking stuff, very good overal guitar. Been playing for around a year now, lasted me well and no serious damage has been picked up and I use this guitar a lot, I own a classic guitar, SG-400 and Ukulele and I use this the most by far as its so comfortable and easy to play, I love the size of the neck and action make this a joy for the price. It somebody stole this I would probally get it again, although I may at that point invest in something more expensive, say a EJ-200CE or something, but this is a definate favorate of mine. The tuners are a bit iffy, snapped a few strings but are good for the price paid and do the job 99% of the time but ar'nt totally smooth or reliable, somethings ratchet the strings a bit too much. Definate buy for any beginners or intermediate players and really cheap, look no further! // 9

DR-100 Reviewed by: taternoggins, on february 14, 2012

Purchased from: musiciansfreind

Features: Made in 2010. I got the black. The body and neck are supposed to be mahogany. The top is spruce. Some of the construction is laminated. Finish is so shiny. If you don't like fingerprints don't get the black. For a budget guitar it has really nice binding on the neck and body. Has a pick guard. Very nice looking guitar. Wish it had the old Epiphone logo instead of the new one. // 7

Sound: I play rock, folk, blues, some country. Used mostly for practice strumming and picking. Even practice doing unplugged solos (takes strong fingers and tiring). Upper frets not easily played being a dreadnought. Guitar puts out a lot of sound. Loud enough where you cannot use a pick if you are trying to not draw attention. Plays very clean. Harmonic notes are very low. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box all I did was tune strings. I check them with a tuner every time. It took a couple weeks for the strings to finally stay in tune. Tuners do feel cheap but seem to work ok. Frets feel pretty smooth on sides of neck. Binding is great. Had to lube nut to help with tuning. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Had this guitar for a year now and no issues. Bought this guitar to be a beater. I work in a bus garage and practice at lunch every day. I stand it on the concrete floor, I'm usually covered in grease and sand when I play. Finish seems to be durable. Guitar still looks like new. Feels solid. Keep it in an old semi-hard case in an unheated office (usually about 50 degrees). Its a good campfire guitar but don't know how well it would last for regular gigging. // 8

Overall Impression: Seems to be pretty good for any acoustic music and even alot of unplugged stuff. Harmonic notes are kinda weak sounding. I've only been playing for a few years. I own a Strat, Explorer and a Moderne. I wanted a budget guitar and feel this is a pretty decent guitar for what I paid. Easy to play, durable, fun. // 7

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014