EJ-200 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/15/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: EJ-200
The Epiphone EJ-200 is a jumbo-style 6-string acoustic guitar featuring a maple body, select spruce top, and body, neck, and headstock binding. Gold hardware and a set maple neck with a crown inlay on a rosewood fingerboard make this guitar stunner. Other features include a nut width of 1.68" and a 25.5" scale.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.9
 Features: 8.9
 8.8
 8.6
reviews (8) pictures (5) 26 comments vote for this gear:
EJ-200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Features: In my search for a good sounding jumbo under $1,000, I ran across the EJ200 and found myself very surprised. Although the top is not solid wood, the construction, maple back and sides, and easy playing neck make this guitar competetive with much more pricey models. The tuners stay in tune, even after a full day of play, and the feel to the guitar is solid, that you are holding a well built instrument. For the price, I can't think of anything negative to say about the features. It is recommended to spend a little more money and upgrade the nut, saddle, and strings of this guitar according to your likes. // 8

Sound: The sound is what sold me - big lows and nice balance. At first, the sound was a little bright, but by replacing the factory light strings with Elixer nanoweb mediums, it now sounds richer. It has a jangly sound that suits the alternative rock style I prefer (Oasis, Coldplay, etc) and the action is extremely low. You will not get the depth of a Taylor dreadnaught or the soul of the Gibson J200 this is designed after, but I gaurantee you will be surprised with the sustain and power, and this at 1/8th the price of Gibson, Guild, or Taylor jumbos. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I am not an expert concerning guitar construction. As far as I can see, this instrument was carefully built and feels sturdy. I believe the guitar shop where I bought it altered the set up before I purchased it, so I can not comment on the action from the factory, but when I received it, it was way low and extremely easy to play and fret. This guitar looks impressive, again for the money, and the only problem I have had after half a year is the strap pin on the end of the guitar loosening. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definitely durable and I don't feel as guilty taking it to the beach or a bar for the price compared to other Vintage guitars I own. I have used it live before with a boom mic and it sounds excellent. Actually, Noel Gallagher of Oasis is rumored to use an EJ200 (sunburst). Again, the strap button on the bottom of my guitar has become loose, but besides that, everything is solid and dependable, especially the tuners. // 8

Overall Impression: Whether you are looking for a more expensive guitar or not, I recommend a look at this model. I played a few at different guitar shops, and recommend to try more than one as from my experience they do not all sound equally good, but when you find the right one (as I did) you will not regret the time spent (and money saved) picking up this guitar. The most notable point is how easy this guitar is to play. I am all in all extremely impressed with this axe - well done Epiphone. // 10

EJ-200 Reviewed by: angus69, on may 01, 2006

Purchased from: internet

Features: My EJ-200 was made in 2002, in Korea. I got it 4 months ago. No pick up, no cut away. It is a super jumbo guitar. The finish is natural. I, personally, don't like the headstock of Epiphone. But this is the except one. The headstock is glossy black with binding, the side and the back are natural. There is a crown logo at the front of the headstock. It is a beautiful headstock of Epiphone so I like it. The gold tuners are Grover, same as in Gibson Studio 1999. Crown inlay, moustage bridge, flowered pick guard and super jumbo size are striking, especially for me. The side and back of the body are glossy natural. It a beautiful super jumbo. It came in soft foamy package, in a hard paper box that's not good quality paper compared to the hard paper box of Ovation. There were 2 cards came with it. One was Epiphone logo and the other was an inspection card, I will discuss about inspection below. There was a hex key in a small plastic bag, .012 string set. There were some rusts on 4 th, 5th and 6 th strings. The strings were not tuned, they were loosed. This super jumbo was a new one in stock. It was not shown in the shop. There were another 2 EJ-200s shown, One was natural and the other was little darker. If I can choose, I always choose the new one in stock, not the shown one. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock and modern, classically inspired rock. This means Oasis, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Neil Young, The Wallflowers, The Verve, The Who, etc... mostly British rock. One of the deciding factors in the purchase of this guitar is that Noel Gallagher of Oasis uses (or did use) one extensively for both recording and stage work. I liked the sound it gave and decided to replace my Epiphone PR-350CE with it. I couldn't be more impressed. Where the 350CE was muddled and undistinct, the EJ-200 is clear, bright, and full. This guitar's jumbo body style and maple side and back provide a clean, bright tone that also sounds very full and provides ample bass. This guitar is perfect for strumming along to a solo vocal or providing rhythm to a full band performance. I can say without much hesitation that this has got to be the best sounding guitar in the $500 and under catagory. Even without solid construction, the guitar simply sounds beautiful. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: action was a bit high, neck was straight etc, so removed the plastic bridge and sanded a couple of mm off. Now it's great. No flaws whatsoever. It's really made well in every area. Only thing I removed was the stenciled 'flowers' on the tortoise shell pickguard. A bit of nail varnish remover annd cotton wool and it got rid of it in 2 minutes. Looks a much grander serious guitar with out the frills of country sprayed on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, I'm using it live today. I sit and play, so the danger of lopping off the head-stock by hitting the ceiling fan while table-top-dancing is reduced. It's one of those dipped Korean guitars, and from experience, I know they're everything but stupid-proof. Run it over with you van, and it's gonna bust. Keep it in a decent locking guitar stand, put it back in its case--and don't do a Lizzie Grubman on it, and everything should be Jake. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now and have owned various guitars ranging from Stratocaster to Les Paul. I was worried that this guitar would not fulfill my expectations having never played one myself before buying it online. I really could not be happier with it though and plan to keep it for a long, long time. This guitar would be replaced if stolen because I love it's style, tone, and playability. I truly feel that it is the best guitar in it's pricerange. It's not a Guild, but for $700 less, it comes close enough. Great value. // 9

EJ-200 Reviewed by: yesterbird, on march 02, 2009

Features: I'm not sure what year mine was made in, but I do know that it was made in Indonesia. It's a jumbo guitar, with a 25.5 scale. The fretboard is made out of Rosewood, with beautiful Crown inlays. The inlays on the fretboard are made out of mother of pearl, and have a black outline that really makes it stand out even more against the fretboard. The writing on the headstock and inlays on the bridge are also mother of pearl, and add a really nice touch to the guitar. The neck, back, and sides are all mahogany, while the top is laminated solid spruce. I got it in the Vintage Sunburst finish. I usually tend not to like sunburst guitars, but this one was a kind of golden tinted a bit, and was strikingly beautiful.It's hard to describe the finish's tint, but it blew me away. Also, the sides and back have the sunburst, which is pretty dang cool. The bridge is one of the most unique I've seen on a guitar, I'm pretty sure it's called a moustache-style bridge. There are no electronics on this guitar (which is a nice change of pace for me lol), and the tuners are gold grovers. They really hold tune well, probably one of the best brands of tuners on the market. The only things it came with were some paperwork and a Tool to adjust the bow of the neck. Overall, completely satisfied. // 10

Sound: I play all types of acoustic music, from The Beatles, Oasis, The Kooks, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, and everything in-between. This guitar suits it perfectly! I have played the hell out of it, and have yet to find a bad sound made by this guitar. Even beginners would be able to make it sound amazing. It has really nice, deep lows, contrasted by crisp and clean highs. I have to admit, a big selling point of this guitar was that Noel Gallagher of Oasis Fame uses one. After playing one extensively, I don't blame HIM for using such a great guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was surprisingly really well set up. In my experience with guitars in general, the action was always just a little bit off. I'm not sure if it was a lucky fluke with my EJ-200, but I was happy either way. I have examined my guitar extensively, but there's not a single flaw. As I mentioned above, the finish is absolutely breath-taking, and the binding is flawless. The bridge, saddle, and tuners were also in perfect condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Both strap buttons come with a felt circle under them(basically a washer between the strap button and guitar. They seem really solid, like the rest of the guitar. I'm still pretty over-protective of it, and jump about five feet high whenever it bumps something. Despite how clumsy I can be, there's not even a scratch in the finish. I would completely trust it, there's no way I would need a backup, unless I was doing something with alternate tunings. I think it will last a really long time. The people at Epiphone did an outstanding job, 10/10. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar fit's my style so ridiculously well, it's like it was custom built to my liking. I love everything about it, and hate nothing. I have been playing for about 2 and a half years, and I only owned one guitar before I bought this one. However, I have played a lot of different acoustic guitars (at least 50 different models). Even though I had my heart set on the EJ-200, I spent about four hours at guitar center, trying out nearly every acoustic they had. I have to say, this was my favorite one that was available for under $1000. It's not a high-end Gibson or Martin, but for less than half the price, it comes so close you won't even care. // 10

EJ-200 Reviewed by: Breakingpoint56, on december 15, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: My EJ-200 is a 2008 model with a solid spruce top, and maple back and sides. (made in Indonesia) Rosewood fretboard (20 frets) with a maple neck and inlaid mustache bride. It looks pretty cool. The EJ-200 is a jumbo body giving you a great full sound, especially when coupled with elixir strings, I got my EJ in August, and the strings still haven't snapped. Pretty impressive and I play ALOT. Now solid spruce for those Who don't know is different from Sitka spruce and it cuts down the cost of manufacturing making it's Gibson counterpart much more expensive. One thing that really drew me to this guitar was the pickguard. it's absolutely gorgeous. For 350 dollars you simply get alot. Grover tuners are gold, and compliment the guitar very nicely making it a beauty too look at and the tone is wonderful. You definitly get all that you pay for and more. Epiphone seems to get a bad rap, but I have a Les Paul and this EJ-200 and I couldn't be happier. It has a laminated top, giving her a nice Shine once you polish it, and as I mentioned before the grovers keep it well in tune, with no string slippage. // 8

Sound: I play hard rock and alternative, and when there are times that you simply want to go bare bones this guitar gives it to you. Every note shines through thanks to the jumbo body, and there aren't any dead spots. Granted with it being acoustic your limits on fret work start to get obvious about the 15th fret. The EJ-200 has a very bright and full sound, wonderful resonance that doesn't bottom out. For those who use harmonics they come through pretty well, I mean for a bottom line guitar your getting wonderful tone. The harmonics come through well on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was ready to play, nearly in tune.Suprisingly low action for an acoustic actually not high off the fretboard making it a pain to play. It was completely immaculate. No finish flaws, or poor work. As I said before laminate top. It was really taken care of where it was made, and setup wonderfully by the guys at Epiphone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd take this guitar on stage with me for a gig. I'm wary about putting a pickup in it, just because I don't care to put holes or having a cord come out of the guitar. I prefer micing it anyday. The strap buttons don't come loose, they actually have a piece of I guess you could say... cloth as a buffer between the strap buttons and guitar, effectively making it like a washer. And we all know how annoying loose strap buttons are. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years, and I had an acoustic Schecter before this with a composite back, paid MORE for it, and got rid of it. It simply did not have the tonal range of the EJ-200. Since I got my Schecter I wanted a full bodied acoustic, I felt cheated by having that composite back and checked between fenders, some taylors, and an Alvarez before deciding on it. I didn't know what to expect when I ordered it honestly, I just saw the specs on how it was made and how it looked but I was glad I took the risk. If your in the market for a new acoustic I heavily recommend it. // 10

EJ-200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash, Cherry Hill NJ

Features: I got my 2009 Epiphone EJ-200 CE/N acoustic electric super jumbo guitar for Father's Day 2010... Other than the BC Rich Mockingbird ST my son got me this Christmas, it is the coolest present I've ever received! I'm fairly sure this guitar was built in China, and set up in the USA (by Epi employee number 5, according to the sticker). It has a deep rounded cutaway, 20 nicely finished frets on a 25.5 inch scale neck with a rosewood fretboard, natural finish on a spruce top/maple sides and back body, and mother of pearl inlays (crowns on frets, name and ART deco crown on headstock), as well as neatly done triple white and black binding on the body, neck and headstock... Simply gorgeous! It also has Epiphone's take on the Gibson mustachio bridge, only the curls are filled in with mother of pearl instead of being empty... Much nicer in my opinion. Gold Grover tuners keep it in tune, and a Shadow preamp connected to a NanoMag pickup under the bridge and a NonoFlex single coil tucked under the 21st fret position of the neck give this axe the ability to crank through any PA or acoustic amp with authority. Preamp has a master volume, individual tone for each pickup, built in tuner, and a fader slide to blend the pickups, and they're wired in stereo to boot... This provides the fullest electrified acoustic sound I've ever experienced, even with the uber-expensive guitars I tested while shopping around. Amazingly versatile, as it can be played straight up as a huge sounding acoustic, or on stage/in the studio with a clear, full presense! // 10

Sound: I play classic rock, country (old school), and Folk music, and this guitar absolutely dominates everything I play. The tone is massive... Thick full bass, clear shimmering highs, and nicely balanced mids. My only complaint is when I run it electrically using both pickups together, it has a slight buzz. Other than that, it is a dream to play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I played this guitar for over a year before it was given to me, and also tried several others to make sure I got "the one". This guitar feels, looks and plays like it should have cost twice what it cost! Finish is very nice, albeit urethane instead of nitro. The action is low for an acoustic, but high enough to afford gorgeous tone and playability. The frets are just about perfect, the binding is totally aces as are the inlays, the pickguard is beautiful (vine and flower design on tortoise shell), and the bridge is also a work of art! My only complaint would be (as stated above) the buzzing I get when I combine both pickups... It only happens when I record, and can be blended out, so I'm not too worried about it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is rock solid, it will withstand a nuclear blast, I've taken it out on stage, used it in the studio, played it around the campfire, and use it as my number ONE favorite axe! I'm madly in love with this beautiful (despite being mass produced and relatively cheaply priced) work of art, it's my lifelong acoustic weapon of choice! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 35 years... I started out on my dad's Kay jumbo western acoustic, and have been seeking out another that has the same sound, feel and fullness of my dad's. I found it in my EJ-200 CE/N! I've had an Epiphone in my collection since my 16th birthday, and now have four ('79 Genesis Standard electric, 2009 Dot Studio in worn cherry, sunburst 2010 Thunderbird IV bass, and this one), and want to get many, many more! If someone had the lowlife kahonies to steal this from me, I would seek them out, torture them until I felt they faid for their mistransgresions, then slowly kill them... But only after getting my prized possession. I love everything about it, its feel, its overall tone, its playability, its looks... I can play this guitar for hours and hours on end without fatigue or boredom. Even after playing the Gibson J-200, Takamine's super jumbo, Martin jumbos, Taylors, and many other high end artisian masterpieces, I am completely satisfied with my EJ-200! Even if I were to obtain one of the amazing guitars I listed that are thousands and thousands out of my price range, I would still keep the EJ as my main workhorse. It's a 10 in my eyes! // 10

EJ-200 Reviewed by: fronkpies, on october 10, 2005

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Features: My Epiphone EJ200 was made in 2005, no electronics, maple back and sides with maple set neck, the fretboard is rosewood with crown inlays, select spruce top, moustache bridge. Finish is Vintage sunburst. The overall appearance of this guitar is amazing, the cream binding suits the rest of the guitar and just makes it look that much more classy. By far one of the nicest looking acoustic guitars I've ever seen. // 9

Sound: This guitar is the best sounding in its price range and beats some of the more "big" name brands out there. Simple must be heard to belive. I compared this guitar against others in Dawson's ect. and it beat all of them, but as they were asking 350 pounds I couldn't afford it so I took the risky decision of buying off the internet, I had to get the action set up the way I like it as it did buzz but nothing a little tweaking wouldn't sort out. Sound is rich and bassy but you still get the nice bright high notes. I range from Bob Dylan to Son House and this guitar suits them all. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I say the action wasnt the way I liked it when I recieved it but no other problems apart from that. The grovers hold there tune well and I couldnt find a single flaw in the finish or craftmanship. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks and feels like it will last longer than me. I would gig with it in no need of a backup and if I did need a back up I would buy another one of these, the gold strap buttons are a nice touch and certainly do the job. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my blues/folk style perfectly, I've been playing for 3 years now I also own an Epiphone Les Paul and Vox AD50VT amp. I would definatly buy another if stolen. My favourite feature is the over all sound. One of the best acoustics out there, you won't be dissapointed. // 9

EJ-200 Reviewed by: samuelgdrowley, on july 16, 2012

Purchased from: Fuzz Nottingham.

Features: Made in October 2010 in Indonesia. Frets are crown inlays which look great, go all the way to 1. It's a nice, large and snug neck, plays great. Super jumbo. Mines a natural. No electronics, mustache bridge, gold Grover tuners. It's a super jumbo, the shape made famous by Elvis, Cash, Dylan, Noel Gallagher and Kelly Jones. Looks magnificent. Came out the box fully set up, perfect for me. Funky pickguard too. // 8

Sound: With the stock strings you get a real deep, bassy sound. It can do the light noises but better when a capo is added. The extra body capacity gives it a lovely, dark balance which complements the looks. It's perfect for nearly everything but will give everything a bassy tone. I play Oasis, Dylan and even some Miles Kane and Arctic Monkeys stuff and the EJ200 handles everything you throw at it. For the price, it's better than the 500 Martin's. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was set up great as soon as I tried it in store and then got it out of the box at home, not sure whether it was Fuzz's work or factory settings. No flaws, everything is solid. No wobble in the tuning heads, no strange noise from the frets. The finish is perfect, I've had the EJ200 since November 2011 (I write this in July 2012) and so far there is no sign of the pattern coming off the pickguard (it will happen in the future though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned earlier, the EJ200 will take anything you throw at it musically, and proves tough. I'm clumsy so it has gained a few bumps but nothing major and still looks great with a few love-bumps! I haven't played with it live yet as I'm yet to play live at all but when practicing with friends, playing some obscure Oasis b-side or writing my own stuff the EJ200 hasn't failed to give 100% quality. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a brilliant match for any style of music but beware of the dark and more bassy edge the EJ200 will give. I have played a few different acoustic guitars (from 800 Martins to cheap practice Fender acoustics) and the EJ200 stands up well to most. It lacks that extra bit of quality that an 800 Martin has but you wouldn't imagine I had paid 300 for it. If it was stolen or lost, I'd happily sell anything to get it back. I'm currently considering putting thinner strings on my current EJ200 to cope with the lighter acoustic sound and buying another EJ200 so I'm still getting that lovely dark tone. The only bad side of it, it does get a bit awkward to play because of the size of it, but it's something you forget about once you've strummed or finger picked a few things. // 9

EJ-200 Reviewed by: wdostrander, on may 15, 2014

Features: EJ-200 Jumbo - Blonde: 2010 made in Indonesia. Gloss finish. Laminate maple top, back and sides. Rosewood neck and bridge. Esonic 2 preamp system: 2 pickups - 1 piezo under saddle, 1 magnetic at end of neck; tone knobs for each pickup; mixer/slider for mixing the 2 pickups; chromatic tuner; master volume. Mother of pearl inlays on the headstock, neck & bridge.

The Esonic 2 preamp is why I gave this section a 9. It is an impressive preamp for this guitar. There are also 2 1/4" jacks on the guitar. One is for a single output or you can use both for mixing the two pickups separately (which I love). I can really mix this guitar nicely for recording or through a soundboard and come up with some great acoustic sounds. // 9

Sound: Acoustically this guitar is not great. The brightness of the maple mixed with the bass response of the jumbo help to make it OK but it still lacks plenty when compared to good sounding acoustic guitars. However, when you plug it in, the Esonic 2 preamp is a really good sounding system. Maybe one of the best. I own a few Taylors and prefer the Epiphone when plugging into an amp. This one will give you plenty of punch to get through the mix if you are playing with a group. Not my pick for unplugged. Not even close. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: At first the guitar seemed well made. I had to set up the neck when I received it. It needed heavier strings (came with .010's). There is no adjustment of the pickups so that wasn't an issue. I noticed no flaws but a few areas around the edges of the neck inlays needed a bit more attention to detail. However, that really doesn't affect the playability of the guitar. Overall, for $400 it was manufactured about as I would have expected.

Playability: After the neck was adjusted properly, the guitar plays fairly easily. No buzzes anywhere on the neck. Frets seem to be installed properly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems unusually sensitive to changes in humidity. The neck seems to need adjustment on a regular basis. The clear coat cracked at the heel/body joint which leads me to believe that the neck is moving a lot. Other than that issue, I had no problems with the guitar. Stays in tune fairly well. Needs a battery about once a month if played every day for about an hour. I haven't seen any issues with the top, back or sides cracking (make sure to keep it hydrated). The construction and finish has maintained itself pretty well. Just a few surface scratches from picks on the front and pickguard. // 7

Overall Impression: I have played professionally for 20+ years (30+ years total). I own numerous axes of different levels. This one ranks as fairly good for the price you pay for it. I don't play it acoustically at all, only through an amp or sound board. It has a bright and clear sound to cut through the clutter of a band and I'm not worried if some drunk Ahole knocks it off its stand. Mine has been on the road with me for about 1 1/2 years and has been fairly reliable. No real serious issues with anything just the fairly regular neck adjustments. I think that if a person had a stable environment for it that maybe it would perform better.

I do wish that this one had a solid top. I believe that might help the overall acoustic sound a bunch. It is quite playable. If the neck is adjusted properly, it plays pretty nice with .011's. Overall, not too bad but there are much nicer guitars out there for a few hundred dollars more. If $400 is all you can afford, then give it a try. // 7

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014