Hummingbird Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/14/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: Hummingbird
This highly stylized acoustic is made out of mahogany with a solid spruce top making it not only pretty but rich sounding as well.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.8
 Features: 7.5
 7.7
 7.4
reviews (6) pictures (1) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Hummingbird Reviewed by: paintITblack39, on july 10, 2006

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: The Epiphone Hummingbird I bought was made in 2005 in Japan. Just like mostly any acoustic guitar the Hummingbird has 20 frets and its shape is the shape of a dreadnought acoustic. The top of the guitar is solid spruce and the body material is mahogany. The neck is also made of mahogany and it has a rosewood fretboard with split parrallelogram inlays. The Hummingbird has binding on both its neck and body. Its finish is a Heritage cherry sunburst. It comes with chrome hardware and it has Grover tuners. Not to mention the great design of a Hummingbird on its pickguard. Its really good for the price. This is my first acoustic, and I have to say it gets damaged easily. I don't know if its like that with most other acoustics but it surely is with this. // 9

Sound: I find this guitar perfect for fingerpicking. It lays down the perfect sound for all the fingerpicking songs I've learned. The Hummingbird sounds even better with a capo. I've never heard a guitar this cheap play so beautifully. I haven't had a problem soundwise with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up fine. Then again, its an acoustic and doesn't have as much knobs or any other things to adjust, so its not too hard to mess up on the set-up. The guitar did buzz a little when I first got it but I've gotten that taken care of. I also found a messy finish job in the hole thing of the acoustic. Other than that, it plays like a beauty. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar gets damaged easily. I don't know if its the guitar or the way the other people in my house treat it, but its been damaged over the few months I've owned it. It doesn't affect its playability so its fine. The hardware seems fine so far. I've not had any trouble with it at all. If I'm gigging, I can totally depend on it, because I've not changed strings since I've gotten it and it still plays like a beauty. The finish wouldn't wear off unless if I want it to wear off. I'll soon be getting a case so it'll be fine. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of alternative/indie, modern rock, and classic rock. This acoustic totally fits with whatever I play. I don't really know what I've could've asked about this guitar. I already knew a lot about the guitar before buying it. If my acoustic was stolen, I'd probably get another one or the Dove, only because it has a cool bridge. I basically love everything about this guitar. The sound is probably my favorite. I compared this guitar to a Dove. I chose the Hummingbird because of better reviews and a killer paint job. I really wish it had gold hardware, so it can go along with the strings. It wouldn't be too hard to replace them, though. All I have to do is just change the tuners. // 10

Hummingbird Reviewed by: crazyfool91, on may 10, 2006

Features: My Epiphone Hummingbird was made in 2005 in China. It has 20 Jumbo frets on a rosewood neck. The solid spruce top is beutiful with the Heritage cherry sunburst finish on the traditional dreadnought shape. The pickgaurd is the highlight of the body. It's aristry is great. It does not have a preamp or any electronics installed, just an old fashioned acoustic. Equiped with Grover non-locking tuners. // 7

Sound: It plays great playing acoustic classic rock tunes along the lines of Zeppelin and Boston, also sounds pretty good with folk/country like Bob Dylan or Johnny Cash. Not very good for classical/flameco playing. The only way to amp the Hummingbird is through a mic. I haven't tried it yet so dont know how that works out. It kinda has the ringing bass sound of a jumbo when you strum directly over the hole. Strumming it closer to the bridge produces a nice treble heavey sound. The richest tone comes from strumming over the high frets. So obviously the Hummingbird has alot of variety for rock/blues fans. Not to great for other stlyes of music though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was awesome. Pretty much the best action for an acoustic. The tuners, bridge, strings all function properly. The finish looks great. The pickgaurd also looks great, but I can see it getting scratched up easily. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Epiphone Hummingbird is definatly durable, the finish looks like it will never get scratched up. The tuners hardly ever go out of tune. I didn't have to tune for about a month after I got it. The strap buttons work properly and seen solid enough to play standing up. The pickgaurd is easy to scratch and wear down. The Gibson Hummingbird does not have this problem. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and this guitar is perfect for nailing those acoustic Zeppelin tunes. I've been playing for about three years. I also have a Vintage Gibson Invader and a Peavy transtube practise amp. If it were lost or stolen id buy it again, unless I had the cash for a Gibson Hummingbird. I love the way it sound and the way it looks. My favorite part of the guitar is the pickgaurd: it shows a hummingbird with flowers and a butterfly, it realy looks awesome. The one thing I don't like is that it I always worry about messing it up, so I have to have some restraint about how hard I strum it. I wish it would have come with a hardshell case but instead I had to shell out 70 bucks for an Epiphone case. // 8

Hummingbird Reviewed by: darth_bob, on may 14, 2013

Purchased from: Private party

Features: Made in 2011. Purchased with hard shell case and several accessories s/a strap, capo, and an extra set of strings. Not much I can say that hasn't been said as far as features goes. I will note that the bridge pins, while plastic, did have abalone center buttons, which were nice looking, however, I quickly replaced them with brass/abalone bridge pins. The factory strings were garbage, so I replaced them immediately. The bridge itself seemed to be of decent quality, as did the hardware. The whole thing just looks and feels nice, even to those who don't really know what a "nice" guitar looks like; to be perfectly honest, if you're looking to pick up chicks, you should look no further. // 7

Sound: The factory strings make it sound dead, and its a shame, too. So many people must try it in the store and instantly lose interest because of these strings sounding so "muddled". One $7.00 set of Martins later, though, and it's suddenly a whole different guitar! I added brass bridge pins to mine as well, which I HIGHLY recommend. It adds a nice, bright, "crispy" sound to the whole thing, and coupled with the new strings, you now have a guitar that sounds at least $200 more expensive than it did. The thing about this guitar is that the sound only improves with age due to the type of wood it's made of, so it really can be a keeper. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup wasn't bad from the factory, but that's just me. The action is quite low and if you prefer high action, it'll take some work. Unlike most Epiphones, the finish isn't layered crazy thick with clear coat and it doesn't kill your sound. Still looks great, but I wouldn't give it to a child to play. The wood feels nice and robust in your hands (giggity) and doesn't feel like a toy, which is important to me. Had some minor fret buzz, nothing serious and it wasn't harsh, more of a natural wood bussing sound, kind of hard to explain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: On one hand, this guitar feels very solid and like it will survive for many, many years of strumming it up; on the other hand, it is very much a guitar geared toward asthetically pleasing people, and as such, there are more things you can bump and scratch and ding on it to take away from that. If I put a ding in my pick guard on my Schecter, oh well, that's why it there. If I put a ding in the pick guard on my hummingbird, I have actually ruined something visually pleasing on my guitar and it will bother me forevermore. In other words I'm not afraid to play it, but I'm afraid to take it out of its case. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing around eight years, and I picked this one up at a whim. I got a pretty darn good deal on mine, to be honest, and for the price range, it is hands down, the best LOOKING acoustic guitar. I did compare it to a Yamaha acoustic that was priced at $300.00 new (same price as the Hummingbird new) and it definitely sounded better out of the box, but there's something about this Hummingbird that just commands attention. If you're a a homebody who wants pure sound quality for this price range, go for a Yamaha. If you're going to be on stage, however, the sound difference doesn't trump the sheer amount of stage presence the Hummingbird brings to the table. Slap some new strings and pins on that sucker and I can almost guarantee that your average fan couldn't tell the difference as far as sound quality goes, especially in a three or four piece band. When I get compliments on my instrument, it means that I'm getting NOTICED. People remember me and my instrument. And that, my friend is a valuable, valuable thing for a musician. // 8

Hummingbird Reviewed by: upchuck51, on september 04, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: It's a mahgonany solid top with 20 frets it's a string thru and and over all simple. It's pick guard has a delecit display of a humingbird that adds to the flavor of the guitar that goes nicely with the pop of the red wood. It's fret markings are rather beautiful in my opinon. this guitar is ver pleasing upon the eyes. it has a gentle look but also it can be seen that it can become pretty brash and destructive while emiting a beautiful sound. // 8

Sound: It has a decent sounds it's not as rich and full as I would like but it can play over pretty decent it can easily be used for classical or spaish as well contemporary music while it may not be the best in each catagory it is well rounded. There is an ocasinal vibarating of the nerby strings when you play but that can be fixed by adjusting the bend in the neck. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was manufactured poorly when I recived it the B string was improperly set into the bridge and there were other miner off sets. Like I noticed there was a small ding in the back but this could be the store and not the factory. That we will never be able to know. But one thins is that there were very little spill overs from pain. There was just some slips and drips of paint on the inside of the sound hole. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can withstand a decent amount I would feel comfortable preforming without a back up for this guitar. It has never failed me and it can stay in tune in an excelent way. everything is very sturdely put in place. There are no lose ends of worry spots on this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I say it would be a good purchase for the price if you are an average guitarist. It will no where rise up to meet the exspectations of a seasoned pro but it will never let you down. and another thing I love about this guitar is that it can be played fairly hard for hours upon hours and will not need to be tunned. this guitar can hold it's tune for the longest time. you will still need to make minor adjustments for the weather and humidity but you shouldn't be able to play it out of tune easily. // 7

Hummingbird Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2011

Features: This one was a new Dove, 2011 assuming, it was new, in a high selling showroom. Laminate top dreadnaught I believe, the hired help didn't know! Lol. I believe it had Grover style tuners. No extra anything included when I tested it out for about 5 minutes. The guitar was about standard for the features you can find in this price range. // 5

Sound: Let me break it easy to you... Or maybe hard if you are a Epiphone/Gibson(electric) fanatic like me. A Fender cd60 sounded better, and also came with a hard case! Just an airy sound produced by the bird, cheap like. Sorta cool looking, but sounded bad. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Action seemed good, easy on the fretboard to play just like all epi's/gibsons.. But the sound that came out wasn't what I had expected at all. Finished to me came off like a cheap foreign copy of a real guitar. Let me make this clear from my time this past week, test driving Acoustic guitars at 5 different stores. Epiphone Acoustics at this 150-400 dollar price range in no way compare like epiphone's electrics do to ohhh lets just say a really expensive bigger brother. See below for build quality... // 4

Reliability & Durability: It seems like it may last if you baby'd it. Hardware was what I expected from epiphone. Wood, paint finish, and sound was not. The guitar was heavier, but the front of the body looked flimsy, I dunno weird. Strap buttons seemed solid. I wouldn't rely on it because I didn't decide to buy it even though it had "cool looks" online. // 3

Overall Impression: I play everything from Hank williams Jr. to Eric hutchinson, and alot of rock/punk in between. I have been playing for fun for 11 years. I tested this out this week. It totally dissapointed me. I wish it had a better sound/tone. Seek another brand. I rate this a 2, because I guess a 1 would be a 1st act or a Squier or something. Maybe I tried 2 bad seeds? // 2

Hummingbird Reviewed by: CoCoPoPz, on june 23, 2011

Purchased from: Georges Music

Features: My Epiphone was made in 2010 in indonesia, the Hummingbird has 20 frets and its shape is a dreadnought acoustic. The top of the guitar is solid spruce and the back and sides are mahogany. The neck is mahogany and it has a rosewood fretboard with split parrallelogram inlays. The Hummingbird has binding on both its neck and body. Its finish's are Heritage cherry sunburst, Black and Natural, mine is Heritage cherry sunburst. It comes with chrome hardware and it has Grover tuners. Its extremely good for the price. It is also so nice to look at! It didn't come with anthing though so I had to fork out another $80 for a case. // 9

Sound: With Acoustic I play mostly anything and it sounds great, very good with Oasis, light rock stuff, blues, country, it is perfect for all of them, it suits me pefectly, it can be very loud, obviously depends on how hard you strum, overall very good sound. Very rich and full sounding, a nice bright sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've seen some reviews say it was set up perfectly from the factory but mine was awful, the first couple weeks was fine but it needed a setup badly, it was at the stage of dead frets after a couple of weeks, I'm not brilliant with setups so I had to bring it to the music store near me and forked out another $50. But I'm not blaming the guitar for that, the music store shouldn't have charged me really, but I'm an idiot and didn't know how to setup a guitar as this was the first Acoustic I bought. The finish is excellent and the pick guard is beautiful. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It will definately withstand live playing with ease, you need it miced up, as its not acoustic/electric, but it sounds nice recorded, everything seems solid, I've banged it a few times and it has a minisculee chip, other than that it is great quality wood. The strap buttons are solid enough for me, they have never failed me yet. The finish is great and I've heard over time the wood gets better and the sound gets warmer so I can't wait for 5 years to come by.I wouldn't depend on it without a backup because I never take risks but I haven't had to use a backup when using this on stage, the grover tuners are amazing, they stay in tune for so long, at home I could tune it every 3 weeks, and I play everyday for about an hour and a half, they are brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I play almost anything on Acoustic and its really good, love the sound, especially when playing Red Hot Chili Peppers and Mumford And Sons (in particular "Snow (Hey Oh)"). I've been playing for about 2 years, and Acoustic for about 4 months, I've developed really fast even though I'm self tought and this guitar has seen me through. I wish I had asked the guys to give it a setup Canada so that screwed me up a bit. If it were stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again to be honest but ONLY because there are so many guitars that are in the same price range that I never tested, but just for sheer beauty and playability I would buy it again if I had loads of money. I love the look, pick guard, tone, playability, grover tuners, inlays and the finish, I love this guitar. My favoruite feature would be the tone of it. I tested a couple others, including a yamaha, dove and Fender in the same price range, but I loved the whole presence of this guitar, outstanding beauty and tone, it beats what I tested for sure. The only thing I wish it had was million $ bill taped to the back, other than that it needs nothing, except a setup. Overall I LOVE this guitar and to be honest I would buy it again based on what guitars I've tested. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Ultra III 7.7 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014