PR-150 Review

8.2
 8.5
reviews (9) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
PR-150 Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on may 01, 2006

Features: This is my first guitar, so naturally, like some starters, I bought it in a starter kit, so it came basically right from the factory, with no special tuners, strings, etc. It did, however, come with 4 picks (which I have lost), a strap, and a nice gig bag. I am pretty sure it's a maple body, with satin finish. Mine is 2-color sunburst, but there was another colour, that was that blondish colour that is on most acoustics. 21 medium frets dot, the solid maple neck. Other than that, it is pretty much a normal guitar. Though I would have liked a little more to this guitar, like a cutaway, this is a fine guitar. // 7

Sound: This guitar can do pretty much anything, with a little tuning. I've used it for Lamb Of God, and classical. My music style involves playing tabbed songs, and this guitar fits the bill nicely. As I said, it will play anything. For sounds, it can be classically trained musicians Tool, or a black metal musicians Tool. From vibrato to shred, it is everything I need. My only complaint is that the 6-3 strings sound perfect, but strings 2 and 1 sound too much of a jump. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is like a freakin' tank. I have dropped this down stairs. Bashed it off walls. Hit drums with it. Still functions like a guitar should. No problem withstanding live playing. I would even depend on it without a backup if it had electronics. In my 4 moneths of owning this, rust hasen't even come near it, the finish is perfect, even after being smashed in to walls (by accident). // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I'll play anything you throw at me. This guitar is flexible enough to do that. I haven't played more than a year, but this has started me off and shot me up. There is nothing I wished I had asked before, because I know I would fit my bill. There really is not much to hate, except that it doesn't have a cutaway, but for $150, what do you expect? For if it was stolen, the theif would be lying 6-feet deep by now. It really is that good. I prefer acoustic to electric, and I could even compare this cheap $150 model to other more expensive models, simply because of the wide range of sounds vs. and electric. As you know by now, I wish it had a cutaway. Besides that, this is a guitar that every starter should start on. Simply the best. // 10

PR-150 Reviewed by: Macktruck, on june 15, 2006

Features: I bought it as a player pack so it had extras. The guitar itself is made from mahogany I think. It is a dreadnought style body. I got it in Vintage sunburst, really cool. 21 frets. all the extras that came with it were really nice; padded gig bag, electronic tunner, picks, instructional dvd. Epiphone also has a lifetime warrenty on all its products. The guitar is made in china, which sucks because all guitars should be made by people we can trust (Americans). But at least it is inspected in the US and the company is based in America. It is a very playable guitar and I havent had any problams yet. // 10

Sound: The sound on this thing is awsome. Very well suited for country and acuoustic rock. But if you want to do alot of soloing on it, or single string plucking, I would recomend new strings. Very rich full sound. Great acousic guitar for anybody. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was completely ready to play when I got it, all I had to do was tune it alittle and I was ready to play. The finish is perfect there wasn't a single scratch or nick on it. There still isn't even after getting banged into walls, tables, steel bars, and just about everything else. Everything was perfect in this area. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definately trust this guitar live, even though I'm not quite at that level yet. everything is really solid and will definatley last. I would most definately not bring a back up guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said this guitar is great in almost every way. The only let down was that it was made in China, but unless your gonna dish out thousands of $$$ than your guitars aren't gonna be made in America. If this guitar was stolen I would definately buy another one. It is a great value at any price. This guitar could sell for way more than what I paid for it. I played many other guitars including Gibsons and this one played as good if not better than all of them. The only way this guitar could be better is if it came in Camo, or with the Rebel flag painted on it. // 10

PR-150 Reviewed by: played[out], on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This was my first personal guitar befoer this I was using my friends Fender. I bought it with a package that included a gig bag a piece of crap strap some thin picks a gig bag a tuner an informational CD about the guitar and a gig bag. The accesories where in there really just for spice they didn't do much cus I threw out the strap the picks got all jagged when I was speed picking, I used the CD as a target for my airsoft gun the only thing I realy kept was the bag and the tuner. The guitar is a large body with 20 frets and a rosewood fretboard the body is plywood it has a sunburst design on the front I do like that it did have a place to put the strap into right under the neck where it meets the body kindof like a Gibson electric does. // 5

Sound: At first epesially the first week that you play it the fret board starts to warp and contort but that can be fixed by tightening the nut in the fret board. The sound is great especially for playing Zeppelin and old classic songs lke the House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was great comming out of the box nothing wrong no scratches whatsoever and no damage the bridge made the strings alittle too close to the fretboard at first but I fixed that with some folded paper under it. Nothing else was bad about it then that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is really made for the beginner and nt for the gu doing gigs I took it to school one day and I don't have any clue how it happened but I lost a fret and a pin. The guitar was in it's case all day. And the laminate finish especially on the back wares like crazy when playing on a hot summer day and your clothes rub on it, and the finish seems to always grab onto my chain when I walk with it and gut grooves into the back. // 4

Overall Impression: For playing clasics and fingerpicking songs like "Blackbird" by The Bettles it's great the problems come when you try to excessivly strum chords and then the body can't seem to fluctuate between high and low chords easily. The neck also seems to bend easily despite the continous tightening of the bar in the fret board. // 8

PR-150 Reviewed by: jaketyler11, on december 10, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Freind

Features: 21 frets, thick neck, Mahogany, Sunburst Finish, Non locking tuners, and black pickguard. Never gets out of tune just by playing, it gets out occasionally when you put it in its case but I have a bad case so that could be the problem. It also has the classic Epiphone headstock. // 9

Sound: Good for country and blues music, one problem is when you get it out of tune it's really hard to get it back in tune. It's not too noisy the the high e and B strings can get a little loud at some times but overall it's just fine. It had a very very bright sound and alot of variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Great setup and the pickups were adjusted just fine, it had no problems. The guitar didn't have any flaws or problems. The only thing I did to it was raise the strings a little to make it easier to pick for the type of songs I like to do. Overall it had barely any problems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty much indestructible. I have hit on things so many times but it has not once left a scratch or a dent. The strap buttons have never had a problem. I think you should always bring a backup just in case a string breaks or something like that. // 10

Overall Impression: It's great for any type of music, I have been playing for four years and I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Junior. If it were stolen or lost I would buy another one because it is cheap and has good quality. I didn't compare it to other guitars it sounded good on the floor model and it was cheap so I bought it. // 10

PR-150 Reviewed by: Gohard1993, on july 11, 2011

Features: My guitar was made in Indonesia. It has 20 frets on a Rosewood neck. Its Top is made of laminated Spruce wood, the body and neck are made of mahogany. I have the Vintage Sunburst finish so its black and orange. Its a Dreadnought guitar so no cutaway. The bridge has bridge pins. // 6

Sound: I like to play alot of Country songs and also Worship songs so this guitar is great for country and pretty good for Worship. I also like to play more Indie singer/songwritter stuff and its not so great with that because the strings are kinda slow. The sound is great and real loud not to bright though. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Now this this one of the few things I don't really like about the guitar its action is really high and I have light gauge strings on it I was learning barr chords when I got this and thought I just sucked but when I played my friends guitars I was hitting thoses chords like nobodies business. I can play the barr chords on this guitar now but its the best for beginers but other than that its pretty great. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take some ruff play but if I were performing somewhere important I think I might just take a backup guitar. The strap buttons are great I haven't had any problems with them. The finish is thin and does wear off but I do play pretty hard and about two or more hours a day. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for three years now and this guitar has really helped me improve I have two other Guitars one Acoustic the other eletric but I love this one the most and since I love to play Country music this is a great guitar to have. If this guitar was stolen its kinda 50/50 on whether or not I'd by this guitar again or get something eles because like I said the action is pretty high witch is the worst part about this guitar. My favorite Thing about is the sound I played about 20 other guitars and for 150 bucks this wins hands down even with the high action. I played a Yahmaha guitar that cost over thousand dollars and yes it did sound better than this guitar but not by much. This woud be the absolute best guitar if the action was lower and if it had a cutaway but other than those things its awesome. // 8

PR-150 Reviewed by: mscndlv01, on august 29, 2011

Features: I have a 150NA instead of a VS, so if there are differences, I'll try to list them. 20 frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Mahogany? Maybe, I can't find the specs for this thing anywhere. My dad bought this for me after my mom refused me a guitar, and I'm in love. We bought it used, and this thing holds up like a champion. // 9

Sound: It has a great sound, very balanced, and I tune it rarely to be honest; it holds such a great tune. I play acoustic based songs, so chords and such, very slow and melodic, but I occasionally play a tabbed song, and it fits so many styles. It doesn't plug into an amp, but you can buy a drop in for it, and it will do just fine. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was put together perfectly, I really couldn't have asked for a better guitar. When I got it, even used, I was able to just start playing it, even though I had never really played guitar before. It was almost two years before something went mildly wrong, and legitimately, it was that the strings broke. I didn't know at the time how frequently to change strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar now for performances at a coffeehouse, no huge crowds... Yet... Yesterday (mind you, I've had it for 5 years, and it was used) the nut under the low E broke, but it was a simple glue it and wait deal. One tuning knob broke, but other than that, there's the SLIGHTEST bow in the neck which is only to be expected. I play it for at least an hour every day, for the past year or so, and it holds up wonderfully. I've fallen on the staris, slammed it in the doorway, dropped it on hardwoord. Nothing. There's a chip on the headstock, and a scratch on the bottom, from resting on a rock. The finish is basically unpenetrable, and there's no sign of the guitar breaking anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: For style, it's a wonderful match for me, maybe a little dry I suppose. I wish it had a cutaway, and I wish the sound was just a little bit warmer. It's full bodied, no doubt, but at this point, I've moved up from beginner and I'd like a warmer, richer sound. Were it stolen, I'd be heartbroken, I'm in love with my guitar, it's my baby. I really can't help it. I would no doubt buy another, or hesitate to recommend it. Besides the emotional attachment (lots of terrible days were eased with my baby), my guitar has such varied use, and is so easily playable, I would honestly say if you were buying a first, or even intermediate guitar, buy this one, because there's no way you could regret it. ESPECIALLY not for the price it runs at new. // 10

PR-150 Reviewed by: mrnike992, on june 21, 2012

Features: Made in 2011, not quite sure where. 20 Medium-Jumbo frets. Laminated spruce top, with mahogany neck, back, and sides. I got the Vintage sunburst finish, mainly because I didn't care what finish I got, and this was cheaper. It has a Dreadnought body, and a rosewood bridge with a synthetic bone saddle. It did not come with any accessories. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits what I bought it for, which was just to have an acoustic. I usually play electric, but I felt that I needed an acoustic as well. I usually play any acoustic songs I need on it, like "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica or "Hotel California" (Acoustic) by the Eagles. It can be a bit noisy at times, and the bright/full sound depends on the strings. Right now I have some 80/20 Martins, and it is pretty bright sounding. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fine. I don't normally adjust things with guitars so cheap. Everything looked fine. Little dirt on the back, wiped right off. Not sure why there was dirt.. Oh and two of the tuning pegs were loose, I easily tightened them and retuned the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems durable. Haven't had it that long. Strap buttons are nice and solid. I will have to depend on it, it is the only acoustic I've got. I would have to do a gig without a backup. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I do worry about the finish however, it seems a little bit thin, and easily scratched. Also has worn off a little on the back. // 9

Overall Impression: I play any acoustic songs on this guitar. Good match. I have been playing for about 2 years. I also have an Epiphone electric and an old Gibson. If it was stolen, I might by another, depends. I love that it does what it needs to do. I hate that... Well I don't really *hate* anything about it. Favorite feature? I guess the price tag. I think it's pretty good for how cheap it was. // 10

PR-150 Reviewed by: gorpster, on march 15, 2013

Features: Made in China this dreadnought with laminate spruce top and mahogany back, neck, and sides was my first guitar after not playing for 20 + years. I liked the looks and the price and the fact it came with gig bag, tuner, etc. I also compared it to many other "entry level" guitars in the same price range. We I first started playing guitar, many years ago, a cheap guitar was just that sounded band and fell apart. I have had this now for 5 years and play it almost every day. I did lower the action as it was a little high, adjusted the truss rod ever so slightly, added a JJB Prestige piezo pick up, and bone end pins. I am going to add a bone saddle in the next 2 weeks. // 8

Sound: I had to try several different strings before I found the ones I like the best. I found the D'Addario EJ16 work the best for full sound non-amplified. The bass does get lost after the strings age a bit though. After lowering the action the playability down the neck was much improved. I recommend that a first timer play it for a while before making that drastic move and the higher action will help develop the finger strength. Playing right out of the box, open chords and bar chords to the 3rd fret were no problem and sounded good. Some string buzz out of the box playing with a capo on the 4th fret and above. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the VS, Vintage sunburst, because I liked the way it looked. My low E string tuning peg is starting to get a little weak so I may swap out tuners after I try my bone saddle experiment. I have had 2 "professional", meaning they play weekend gigs in addition to their day jobs, musicians pick this guitar up and play it, not knowing it was mine. While it won't be confused with a top of the line Gibson, Taylor, or Breedlove, they felt it played and sounded like guitars in the $700 range not $150 to $200. These guys don't hold back on their guitar thoughts either. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I sated I have had this guitar for 5 years and the finish looks great. Like I said the low E tuner, actually the pin or bushing is starting to get weak but I wouldn't count that against the guitar at all. Being all laminate this is my outside, campfire guitar. I know it wont get damaged by wind, sand, rocks, etc. It just holds up. Loud enough to be heard and not too tinny sounding. Stays in tune in the cold as well due to it's construction. Before putting the pickup in I played it "miked" on several occasions and it sounded just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am very pleased with this guitar. I did go out an buy a solid top, acoustic/electric, with a cutaway for playing in a performance style, there is a difference, however I find myself still playing this guitar daily. I would buy another one in a heart beat if anything happened to this one. My only complaint is that the neck seems large for those with smaller hands like my daughter, however that is minor. The guitar works great for finger picking, flat picking, or just strumming around the house, deck, camp fire, etc. // 9

PR-150 Reviewed by: exarmyguy26, on may 12, 2014

Features: It is a bottom of the line 21 fret dreadnought. Mine was made in Japan, according to the serial number. Mine is sunburst color finish, which I think if nothing else, makes it a good looking guitar. I saw one review saying, it was what he thought was a maple body. It is all laminate material. "Select Spruce" top with Mahogany back, sides, and neck. Rosewood on the fret-board and bridge. Imitation bone nut and saddle. Surprisingly nice nickle tuners, but a real pain to put bigger than .11 gauge on the low E(at least mine was). // 5

Sound: The sound definitely reflects the lack of solid wood in the guitar, in my opinion. With the right strings the sound is still great for what it is(a very inexpensive guitar). The lows and mids on this guitar are surprisingly good for the price. The other review about strings 1 and 2 is right on. They just have a certain "twang" to them that isn't right. If you are playing a song that uses Dsus4 for D, Cadd9 for C, and Em7 for Em, I would strongly recommend going without a pick. That extra twang from the 1 and 2 strings will be painfully obvious with those chords if you play them with a pick instead of just your thumb. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I have zero complaints in this department. This was my first guitar and was super easy to play right away. Action was nice and low. I personally love the neck on this guitar. This neck is wider than a lot of other guitars, but it is pretty low profile in the back. So if you really like to lean on your thumb while you play, it is a perfect fit for you. If you like to wrap your thumb around, you probably won't care for the fit of the neck. As far as the finish, like I said, very good looking guitar IMO. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If I have one negative thing to say here, it is about reliability rather than durability. I'm not sure if it is the weather where I live or the epic beating my kids gave it early in its life, but it doesn't do the best job of staying in tune. I found my, at the time two year old, twins with it somehow out of the case. My son was plucking the strings at the neck as hard as he could, and my daughter was using the body as a trampoline(she was probably 25 or 30 lbs at that then). After tuning it up to pitch, it was no worse for ware. I am convinced It would take some planning or just extreme carelessness to significantly hurt this thing. // 8

Overall Impression: As my first guitar, it does hold a special place in my heart. I rated this guitar as if I was comparing it to every guitar I have ever played. If I was rating it specifically as a beginner guitar, or specifically as a inexpensive guitar, my numbers would be higher. The main attraction is the price. If you are a beginner, you don't want to spend a ton of money on something you might give up on. At the same time you don't want a guitar that is so cheap it sounds like crap even if you are playing relatively well. I think this is a happy medium between those two ideas. As a first guitar you will be ready to upgrade to a better sounding one after probably 6 months depending on how fast you pick it up. If I had it to do over again, and I knew the difference a solid top made, I think I would spring the extra 100 bucks for the Epiphone AJ-220s, which has a solid spruce top. If I am in the mood to go pickless on some country I still love to play it now and then. // 6

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014