PR-300 Review

7.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
PR-300 Reviewed by: Strawberry182, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: This guitar features a laminated spruce top, mahogany body neck and a rosewood fret board. It was only produced from 1986-1990 and was manufactured in Korea. My particular model was built in 1967. It has a short neck with 20 frets and dot inlay. It has a rosewood bridge. The nut is plastic and has a width of 1.68". Lastly it has chromed die-cast tuners. The head stock is painted black. It didn't come with any accessories and to my knowledge there aren't any. The tuners are non locking and aren't the best but do the job. // 9

Sound: The PR-300 has a rich penetrating sound and is surprisingly load. It can handle almost anything you can through at it. This guitar really suits the blues and seems to give a song new life. It sounds totally different to any other guitar I've ever played and just seems to have soul. It has some buzz but not much and I feel that this only adds to its overall character. It doesn't have that much variety in the way of tones but that's alright because its unique and I can guarantee no other guitar sounds like it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My only real problem with this guitar is that it has a very high action making bar chords quite challenging to play. I don't know whether it's just mine that was set up this way or if it was all of them, all I know is that it's very annoying. Apart from this the guitar was built to a very high quality. It's over thirty years old and the binding is still fine and there are no signs of rusting or any other flaws. This guitar has probably only been polished twice in it's whole life and still manages to retain its original luster. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The finish is excellent and is still as shiny as it was brand new. This guitar is extremely durable and has been dropped bumped and hit on countless occasions and the only visual signs of damage are a few scratches and a small chip on the back of the neck. It's very heavy for an acoustic and when you pick it up you can instantly tell that it was built to last, unlike some of the newer guitars like my ultra ii which only lasted a month. One thing I will say against it is that when you bash it against a wall the paint tends to rub off onto it. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is very good. If you were ever thinking about buying it than I would recommend that you do so. I would never sell this guitar and if there was ever a fire I know it would be the first thing I'd save from my house. I also ever two Yamaha acoustics and although they're very good they don't even compare to the the PR-300. I would certainly recommend this guitar to any one except people just starting out as it takes a lot of finger strength to bar on. In my personal opinion it is best guitar in its price range. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014