American Legacy Review

manufacturer: Esteban date: 01/07/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Esteban: American Legacy
You'll get three hours of fun and knowledgeable guided instructions on how to play an acoustic/electric guitar. Get your New American Legacy Guitar and receive Estaban's Guitar Chord Chart Poster and as a free bonus you will also receive a 2-DVD set of Esteban Live At Red Rocks Concert.
 Reliability & Durability: 4.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 4.5
 4.2
 5.3
reviews (4) 49 comments vote for this gear:
American Legacy Reviewed by: KaiserX, on may 30, 2006

Purchased from: Television

Features: I strongly believe this guitar is made entirely of cheap plywood. The fretboard is painted black, you can tell if you chip off the paint, which I did, 'cause the guitar is a hunk of junk. Also, the plastic pearl-looking inlays are glued in by Elmer's glue and come out of enough pressure is applyed on one side. I have no idea where it was made because the label that came with the guitar came out when I got it, I have reason to believe it was Mexico. I bought the acoustic-electric version for the sole purpose of seeing just how bad it was. And believe me, it's bad. The tuners are flimsy and need to be tuned (which requires that you have great dexterity) everytime you play. Came with a case, a very short strap, a faulty cable, an allen wrench (the only thing that was not dissapointing). Oh, and it's a dreadnaught acoustic-electric. No cutaway. // 1

Sound: For something that was produced this badly, it actually has a decent sound. Not full or anything but I expected it to sound like a broken banjo. It doesn't resonate much but its good enough for beginners to practice on. It sounds terrible on an amp, don't even bother. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very poorly assembled. The action is freakishly high, but I sort of like that because it strengthens your fingers faster, every other acoustic guitar I have played is so much easier to play than the esteban. Again, the wood is terrible. It's thin and feels as though you could easily poke a hole in it. Tuning pegs are loose. The best part about this is the volume and tone control that's built in on the side. It's not bad. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Don't take it to a live show unless it is to burn it or smash it. Please don't embarrass yourself like that. Don't even play it for your girlfriend, unless you want her to dump you. // 1

Overall Impression: Like Flamenco? Classical? Acoustic rock? Well this is not the guitar for that, this guitar is best used as a finger excercise machine and nothing more. I had a Takamine Jasmine before this, it was $180 but it was good, full sounding easy playing acoustic/electric cutaway dreadnaught. I wish Esteban would stop tricking everyone on his infomercials and sell this terrible product. The man loves guitar, he should know there is nothing worse than having a retarded guitar. Shame on him. // 1

American Legacy Reviewed by: soja82, on january 07, 2008

Features: No specific date of the making of the guitar. It was hand made in China. 22 fret guitar and a good Rosewood neck for medium and large hands. I can fit my hand perfectly on it. Esay to play chords. it's acoustic/electric and has a 3 band equalizer with volume control. it's a dreadnought style and feels comfortable. It comes with not a hard case, but padded case, an amplifier, strap, polishing cloth, extra set of strings, cable for the amp, a not-so-strong sholder strp thingy, tuner, picks, and some sort of tool. // 8

Sound: It seems good for any style of music execept styles like Slash, buckethead or eddie Van Halen. I have and acoustic/electric amp and when I push the button for it to sounds like an electric guitar, it bust, then I have to set up every thing again, pull out the cables, turn off and on the amp, reset he equilizer, and not prees the button until I am far away enough from the amp. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Since it is handmade, there may be flaws or not. Mine came in one piece, no flaws. If you like to stand, it feels great, it may give some pain to your arm while sitting, but sounds great. For me, the high e string's end pin it o hard to take out. Dents can happen fast is you keep something under it. The strings that come can bust if you keep it tight. That's a couple down sides of a great quality guitar. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great and reliable, but can buts in your case if you drop it hard. Well, it is sturdy and still looks good today. The finish is thin where dents can easily happen. I wouldn't just bring this guitar for gig just in case the strings break and I have no tools. The guitar will last long though. If you want a good quality handmade, buy this guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: I play rock, alternative, pop, spanish, reggae, and dub. It suits me well and I love this guitar. If you are a beginner or expert, I recommend this. It is the best guitar I ever had. It shure beats firstact guitars. I hate that it dents easily and that you have to reset when the amp blows a lot but I wil love this guitar no matter what. // 10

American Legacy Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2007

Purchased from: HSN

Features: American Legacy Turquoise limited edition acoustic/electric. Package included a 10 watt amp w/ overdrive, 10 ft cable, hardsided faux leather case, 5 instructional DVD's, guitar strap, case strap, extra set strings, picks, and allen key. The dreadnought sytle guitar has a spruce top, Catalapa wood sides, back and neck, plus rosewood fingerboard. The turquoise-look inlay around the soundhole and framing a mother-of-pearl inlay of the US on the back adds a luxurious look to this instrument. A built-in pre-amp with equalization, Fishman pickup and 1/4" output jack let you plug into any acoustic/electric guitar amplifier or PA system. Esteban's 10-watt amplifier, featuring volume, treble, bass and overdrive controls projects customizable sounds with authority. // 8

Sound: I am a begining guitar player. To my ear the guitar has good sound. To compare, I went to the Guitar Center and played much more expensive Martin and Gibson Acoustic/electrics and the Estaban seemed very similar. The pickup is supposed to be a Fishman but the equalizer says Opus IV. After a Google search the EQ appears to be a Belcat Opus IV 3 band. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is beautiful. The finish is perfect and the inlay appears well fitted. Set-up seems good, but I think the action could be better, in fact the papers that came with the package indicated that the guitar should be adjusted by a guitar tech for ones personal preference. I have only used the amp a few times and it works fine. I tune the guitar every time I play and it always takes a little tweaking but you could just pick it up and play if you wanted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If I were accomplished enough to be playing Live for money, I am sure I would buy a better guitar. Initally though, the guitar hardware seems well built and for my use it should last a good long time. Strap button is solidly attached to the guitar, and is shaped so that the strap stays securely attached. The finish is beautiful, time will tell how long it will last. // 8

Overall Impression: I wanted the guitar to learn to play. I like Folk, Country, and Classical. I really enjoy playing this guitar and for the money would by it again. Some adjustment of the guitar would be a good idea but out of the box it plays very well. I like the guitar, now if only I could play half as well as Esteban. // 8

American Legacy Reviewed by: GibsonSGgirl101, on april 18, 2007

Features: This guitar 'package' was ordered from Home Shopping Network for my birthday. I was sure buying an Esteban guitar was a gamble, and I really wanted a new acoustic, so I convinced my parents to get it for me. Plus, it came with a nice hard shell case, a few crappy books (with like 2 words per page), a strap, an allen wrench, DVDs of him at the Red Rock, 5 CDs of 'lessons' (if you can call it that) and an amp. Oh yeah this is an electric acoustic guitar. He made it look so reliable and nice on TV, but that's what he's good at isn't it? Faking people out. So I was excited when I got it, and it smelled nice (like new paint) and looked nice and sounded nice at first. the action was actually low on mine and was easy to play, so low that it began to rattle and I had to get it repaired. The guitar is pretty, I won't lie, but when you examine it closely you see the flaws they made when they manufactured it in Mexico. It's supposed to be some nice inlay, but the paint is chipping in places. The pick guard wasn't cut at the right angle or something so it doesn't fit the soundhole appropriately. The neck is painted black, you can tell prety easily. I'm not too familiar with the type of wood and I don't feel like looking it up so I'm gonna leave that out. The guitar has a dreadnought shape. The strings are bad, even the replacements. They broke within a few months. Overall I was impressed by the number of things the guitar came with, but the quality was bad. You can't argue with the price though. // 7

Sound: It depends at times but I kind of like the sound on this guitar. It's my first steel string and I think it has a very resonate sound. Very kind of echoey, like I can't explain it but when I first heard it I was impressed. Before when the action was low, it rattled all the time, to the point where I couldn't ignore it any longer and had to get it repaired. Of course there are beter sounding guitars than this in the world, so. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said, this guitar is nice looking. But if you examine it closely you see the cheap flaws and it reminds you, "o yeah, this is an Esteban" The frets aren't cut to the exact length so if you run your finger up the neck, the metal almost catches your finger. The action was set comfortably low on my guitar but it started to rattle, and I payed $60 (about double of how much it cost the Esteban company to create this guitar)to refit the saddle and the nut. Very cheaply made, I can go on and on about this all day. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand Live playing? Absolutely not. Does the hardware seem like it will last? nope. Are the strap buttons solid? Yes actually. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yeah I'll use it at my school concert (yeah right, I wouldn't even trust it there). Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Finish on the fretboard is crap, inlay is pasted on. This guitar went 6 months without having to be repaired. you make the decision. // 3

Overall Impression: This guitar is pretty, TV made it look nice so I bought it. It looks like crap when yuo look closely and you really start to see the flaws they made in assembly. I like how it came with stuff and a nice case. I'll always keep the case, it's probably worth as much as the guitar. The price was good. So, I would definetly not buy this guitar again, although I'm kinda glad I did because I learned some things about the quality of Esteban guitars. // 4

More Esteban reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Legacy Signed Custom Series 5.6 Acoustic Guitars 02/20/2012
+ G-200 5.8 Acoustic Guitars 02/15/2012
+ G-10 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 06/03/2011
+ Deluxe Steel String Guitar Pack 4.2 Acoustic Guitars 11/01/2010
+ Starlight Steel String Cutaway Limited Edition 5.7 Acoustic Guitars 03/11/2009
Comments