FMEHG Mercury Parlour Electro Hi Gloss Review

Faith: FMEHG Mercury Parlour Electro Hi Gloss
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
FMEHG Mercury Parlour Electro Hi Gloss Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2011

Purchased from: PMT Birmingham

Features: Made in 2010 I believe, certainly bought in that year. Came with a padded hard case. - Top Wood: Solid Engelmann Spruce - Back Wood: Solid Rosewood - Side Wood: Solid Rosewood - Binding: Maple - Bracing: QuarterSawn Spruce - Rosette: Abalone - Neck: Indonesian Mahogany - Neck Finish: Satin - Neck Joint: PJE Bolt On - Fingerboard: Macassar Ebony - Fingerboard Inlays: 'F' at 12th Fret - Fret Qty. 2.7mm - Machine Head: Grover (matte pegs!) - Trussrod: 2 Way - Nut Width: 43mm - Bridge: Ebony - Bridge Pins: Ebony Slotted - Finish Type: Polyurethane Lacquer - PreAmp Pickup: Shadow Nanoflex / SH863 Preamp - Scale Length: 609mm // 10

Sound: More resonant than loud. I've never owned an electro before, and don't have an appropriate amp. It was bought for house/recording use rather than gigging, however it's loud enough without being plugged in, for small indoor venues. I still haven't found a good recorded sound, but that's my own lack of capability so I can't comment on the electronics. However... The setup of the guitar is perfect, and it shows when you belt out chords in proper tune, it's so beautifully resonant you wonder why people bother with 12 string guitars. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws at all. I'm sure the inbuilt electronics are doing what they are supposed to do, and as those electronics are available as aftermarket kit for other accoustic guitars at a not inconsequential price, they are sure to be good quality. This is the perfect accoustic for electric players, the neck feel is similar to the PRS wide-fat neck profile, chunky in the hand but with an action low enough for shredding, though clearly the fret access limit will be a factor for some. I love it to bits though, it's my favourite guitar right now, and I've been playing over 25 years. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Construction feels solid, though in fairness the pegs are perhaps a touch on the stiff side. I can't imagine anything going wrong if you treat it right, it'll take a few knocks - just look inside the soundhole, there seems to be a whole array of foundations holding the thing together so quite a sturdy wee thing. I've had it almost a year now, nothing has loosened or fallen off! // 9

Overall Impression: I play a number of styles, but mainly a rock guitarist. I've had a couple of naff accoustics before, hated them in short time. When I found this unit I was actually shopping for a Taylor Baby. Glad I found it, as for all it was a good 200 more than I had planned to spend I have got a much better sounding and feeling guitar than I think I could get from any other manufacturer for the same priceband, though I see they have gone up about 60 or so since I bought mine. It's slighly less comfortable on the knee than the Taylor, due to the depth, but that discomfort is paid back in unsurpassed resonance & tone in the priceband. I love this beautifully ugly little piece of wood, of course if I broke it I'd get another! I did compare it to the natural finish one, which was also nice but lacked a certain sparkle. I also tried a couple of other Faiths (I'd never heard of them before), and while the big dreadnought does have the edge on volume & perhaps slightly deeper tone, I think this one is a perfect balance for the studio and soloist. // 10

More Faith reviews rating category latest review
+ Venus Hi-Gloss 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 09/13/2011