FNCEHG - Neptune High Gloss Review

manufacturer: Faith date: 04/04/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Faith: FNCEHG - Neptune High Gloss
This all solid body guitar really leaves nothing important out when it comes to features.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
FNCEHG - Neptune High Gloss Reviewed by: Man of Faith, on april 04, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1500

Purchased from: Wright Guitars (Mt. Barker, SA)

Features: Top Wood: Solid Engelmann Spruce Back Wood: Solid Rosewood Side Wood: Solid Rosewood Binding: Solid Flamed Maple Bracing: Quarter-Sawn Spruce Rosette: 5mm Abalone with Fibre Border Neck: Mahogany Neck Finish: Satin Neck Joint: PJE Bolt-On Design Fingerboard: Macassan Figured Ebony Fingerboard Radius: 16" Fingerboard Inlays: M.O.Pearl 'F' at 12th Fret Machine Head: Grover Rotomatic Gold Nut / Saddle: TUSQ Nut Width / Bridge: Nut 43mm / String Spacing 55mm Bridge: Macassan Figured Ebony Bridge Pins: Macassan Figured Ebony with Abalone Dots Strings: Elixir Finish Type: HiGloss Top / HiGloss back & Sides Case: Faith Hardcase (Came FREE!) Pickup / Preamp: Shadow Nanoflex II Pickup / SH863 Preamp This all solid body guitar really leaves nothing important out when it comes to features (I say this because I wouldn't mind a tuner and some more flexibility adjustment-wise inbuilt to the pickup system, but that is a very minor detail.) The woods are all solid and bookmatched, making for a beautiful looking guitar. The preamp and pickup system when plugged in sounds very close to an Acoustic - just louder, was very impressed by this. The Grover Roto-matic gold tuning heads are the smoothest I have ever felt on a guitar and make tuning fun (Who would have thought!?) Value for money is a major strong point on this guitar. More expensive than most base-range guitars, but cheaper than most professional performing guitars (ie: Higher range Taylors and Martins). I assure you, you will NOT find a nicer guitar in this price range. 9/10 just because a little more flexibility in the pickup/preamp system would be desirable in some circumstances :) // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar really is second to none. I explained in the previous 'features' section that you will not find a nicer guitar in it's price range. I will now go even further and say that you will find guitars even more expensive that still don't sound and feel as good as this guitar. I played many many guitars before finally settling on this one. I played Martins and Taylors, Takamines and Matons, Cole Clarks and Martinez'. To be honest with you, there were a few guitars that really 'sang' for me. But my bank account was not too quick to resonate so freely (if you know what I mean - hint: $5000 LTD edition Taylor). As a baby jumbo, the Neptune has a beautiful low end bass that you would expect to find in a full jumbo, but it is much slimmer overall - making it much easier to handle. The low end is quite strident, giving clear notes easily distinguishable from each other in chords, whilst not being 'boomy'. The high-end is sparkly without being irritating. The mid-range frequencies are just nice and compliment the overall sound. Intonation across all of the frets is fantastic and the sustain is long-lasting. The beautiful overtones that result are simply heart-warming :) As a finger-picker all of these things certainly tickle my fancy. I also play in Church playing chords and it performs this with the utmost Precision and clarity. I believe this guitar is incredibly versatile. Having only plugged it in at the shop into a relatively nice Acoustic amp (~$1000 mark) I cannot really give you any more detail than that is was as I have pointed out above. You could only tell that the guitar was plugged in when you turned the volume up or down. Otherwise it was like there was another Faith Neptune (but louder) mimicking my every note! Just beautiful. That being said I think I should also mention that this guitar has a lovely loud voice played acoustically. 10/10 - for the price there is no way you can fault this sound. * As a side note, I tried the Trembesi series of the Neptune shape and I just didn't find it to suit my taste. The bass was warmer, without as much attack as the bass on the High Gloss series. Though I would still recommend you try out any of the Neptune guitars! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action coming straight out of the case was pretty good, though it started to get a little higher as you moved up the frets toward the bridge. I had the Luthier at the guitar shop do the action for me and he took it down at both ends - for free no less! The action now is simply beautiful - nice and close. No string buzz and no other noticable defects with the guitar in this regard. The top and back are perfectly bookmatched, bridge is flawlessly routed. Looking inside the guitar I was very impressed that all the bracing inside looked beautiful. I think you can tell just how much effort has been put into a guitar if there are no glue blobs hanging off bracing and everything looks neat and tidy on the inside. This is what we have here, a beautifully made guitar that has been finished with care. The high gloss coating covering the back, sides and front is lovely. Smooth and thick enough to give good protection. Very beautiful looking guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am not a large performer - haven't played many gigs etc. and this is only my second electric/acoustic guitar so I can't really comment on it with too much authority. The guitar does seem very solidly built - feels like it will last. The hardware is all very solid and the strap buttons immovable. I am making an assumption on what I can see and feel, but I guess only time will tell! 10/10 based on assumption. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression. I cannot say much more than the fact that I LOVE this guitar. It has me hooked and all in love with guitar from the moment I pick it up till the moment I.. well, when I eventually get around to putting it down ;) The price was the biggest thing for me. Playing guitars even up to $2300 that didn't impress me as much as this Faith Neptune. I would recommend that anyone looking for a really REALLY good upgrade to their first or second guitar check out the Faith guitar brand. I dare you to find a guitar for as cheap that sounds as good. All Faith guitars as of the moment are supplied with a free Faith hardcase too (which is really nice - has a lock and nearly shag-like material with padding in it - soft and smooth to keep that guitar nice and clean and scratch free) 10/10 - because there was no 11 :D // 10

More Faith reviews rating category latest review
+ Venus Hi-Gloss 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 09/13/2011