CD-100CE Upgraded Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 12/01/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: CD-100CE Upgraded
It's a good all round guitar for all styles and if you're after an inexpensive acoustic with a killer sound then go for it. Great acoustic, very good sounds, great price, can't go wrong.
 7.7
 9.4
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
CD-100CE Upgraded Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

Features: My CD100CE was made in 2011 in China, 20 frets, Dreadnought cutaway, Fishman ISYS 3 preamp. The place I got it from said it was an upgraded version and it says that on the website. It's a brilliant acoustic with lots of good sounds. You have 3 EQ controls, Middle, Treble and Bass, a volume control and a tuner which is powered by a 9 volt battery located in a compartment by the Jack input. It's made with mahogany, spruce and what I believe is called Nato wood.(?) It's got quite a chunky neck on it but I think it sounds and plays better than an Epiphone acoustic. When you plug it in, the sound you get is from a mic located underneath the bridge inside the guitar which gives you a great acoustic sound. It has Fender tuners, which hold the guitar in tune well and a nice rosewood fingerboard. Overall it is a really useful guitar with some good ideas on it. // 9

Sound: It suits any acoustic style really-a good versatile acoustic. I have it running through a Marshall MG15DFX and use an EHX small clone chorus pedal with it. I haven't tried any gain what so ever because I've heard it can damage the electronics in the guitar, and also because it apparently squeels like a pig as well. I have the bass around a quarter of the way up because I found that the lower you have it the more you can hear from the guitar's different woods, with a good amount of treble and plenty of middle. With a bit of reverb, and the volume backed down slightly, you get my most favourite sound which is a nice, resonant and mellow acoustic sound which this guitar achieves perfectly. I've got some really good tones from it over the few months I have owned it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar come all set up and just like any other standard acoustic, the action was quite high which I expected. It had a nice fresh pair of Fender acoustic strings on it and already had a battery in it for the preamp, which I didn't expect. I didn't find any flaws with the guitar. Everything on the guitar was well finished and according to the sticker and stamp on the headstock, the guitar had a complete inspection. The neck had been adjusted just right at the factory and from that first day of playing it, I once again had that same feeling when I play a Fender-that it is going to be reliable and substantial. Nothing was faulty on the guitar either, and you would think that there would be a slight lack of quality being that they probably make thousands of these a day, but no, Fender pulled it off once again for me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I couldn't say I would play an acoustic if I did play live, but I can safely say that this guitar would withstand live playing. There's not really much hardware on the guitar but I know that it will last for a long time to come yet. As for Strap buttons, the wood isn't exactly like basswood-the strap buttons would get a bit dodgy after time if you played standing up all the time. But most people play acoustic guitar sitting down so it's not something to completely hold you back on buying this guitar. I would have no problem going to a gig without a backup to this thing-it is a very well made and sturdy acoustic. It's not that delicate really. I'm not too bothered about finish to be honest. Dents and wear all add to the vibe for me. But if you do get bothered, the finish will hold out for a long time. Fender build their guitars to last. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a good all round guitar for all styles and if you're after an inexpensive acoustic with a killer sound then go for it. It is available in left handed as well, which is what I am-left handed. Great acoustic, very good sounds, great price, can't go wrong. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014