CD-140SCE Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/14/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: CD-140SCE
Quality and value in a great cutaway dreadnought guitar is what the CD-140SCE is all about, with a Fender-designed dreadnought body, solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, gloss-finish body, satin-finish neck, die-cast tuners and Fishman Classic IV T electronics with built-in tuner.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
reviews (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
CD-140SCE Reviewed by: musicalgirl, on december 17, 2007

Features: I bought this guitar in September of 2007. It was released on 1/2006 and was made in China. It is part of the classic design series and is a single cutaway Fender style dreadnought acoustic/electric. It has 20 frets, all of which are easily accesible, and has 14 frets clear of the body. It has a solid Spruce top with mahogony back and sides, with a gloss finish on the body and a satin finish on the neck with a rosewood finger board. Ithas a Fender/Fishman classic 4T active on-board preamp with integrated electronic tuner, volume, bass, mid, treble and mid-sweep range controls. It also has die-cast tuners. // 9

Sound: I play folky, bluesy, alternative unplugged material and it suits me and and this type of music just fine. It has a lovely rich, full sound with long sustainability, meaning the notes just ring out forever. I sometimes plug it in to a generic 10 w (drive is the name) practice amp and to keep the acoustic sound I have the gain turned down. It does not make any horrible noises, and is brilliant for both open and barre chords. It is also great for lead though this is not its strongest attribute, nor mine for that matter! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came set up perfectly for my style of guitaring, but one may want to lower the action a little for string bending and lead work in general. There are no flaws that I can detect, everything looks, sounds and performs perfectly. it has great action, fit and finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think it would stand up well on stage as it holds its tune forever, unless string bending, and on the whole I consider it a fantastic rhythm guitar all round. My Fender strap stays on fine, the finish seems solid with no obvious wear and tear and I love playing my Fender! // 10

Overall Impression: As I stated above, I play folky acoustic alternative type music and my guitar is well suited to me. I have been playing off and on for 12 years, more off than on but for the few months since I have had this guitar I haven't missed a day of playing. I was looking for this style of guitar when I purchased it, which is why it is so suited to me, and I am sure any one else playing acoustic guitar would also like it. I picked this one over all the others in my price range at the shop as it was the one that appealed to me the most. If it was stolen or lost I would get a similar type of guitar. I have only ever owned acoustic guitars and these are the guitars I love to play. I love the finish on my guitar and the fact that it's a Fender (my first) and I love the beautiful sounds I can get out of it and it gets out of me. I do wish I had a hard case for it as it came with a bag and I wouldn't mind a nice acoustic amp to go with it as well. // 10

CD-140SCE Reviewed by: sneamia, on april 14, 2010

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

Features: This guitar was bought April 2010, manufactured in the past year or so. It was manufactured in China. It has 20 frets, 14 exposed. It is a cutaway, and the fingerboard is rosewood. It has a solid spruce top and scalloped bracing, which are said to contribute to the bass response and overall tone. The dreadnaught body is laminated mahogany and the neck is nato. It has a high gloss, satin finish for the body, and the neck has a matte feel. The bridge has your standard compensated saddle. The active preamp requires a 9V battery. It has a 3-way EQ, a phase button, a volume knob, and a built in tuner. The tuner is more for a quick check than anything. It uses Fishman Presys pickups with pre-amp. It comes with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze custom light strings. // 9

Sound: I largely play praise guitar, which is mostly strumming. It sounds good plugged into a sound system. It has a full-bodied sound, and the bass response is very confident. For a guitar in general, it has a very impressive sound. When compared to other guitars in it's price range, not much can stand up to it. Of course, tone is very subjective, though much more experienced guitarists have commented on its full sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was cursory at best, the technicians made sure it was playable, and stopped there. The truss rod was visibly bowed, the saddle was roughly 1/16" too high, and the strings at the nut were a hair too high. The action at the 12th fret was barely playable. The nut should ideally have half the wound strings above the nut, but the strings were buried in there. Also, the custom light strings are thicker than I am used to. I personally adjusted the truss rod to almost completely straight, I sanded my saddle down with 150 grit sandpaper, and I plan to file down the nut to my liking. If you don't care as much, you can drop $75 and have it properly set-up. The intonation is acceptable. The spruce top, while it is solid, has knots throughout. Overall, when it came in the box, it was not surprising given its price. It needs set-up to get it in top condition. The picture displayed is actually an older version of this guitar. This guitar has a more traditional, straighter bridge. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself appears durable. I expect this guitar to last me a decade or so, until I can find a guitar with a better sound. It will hold up for live playing, though it's never a perfectly good idea to use without a backup. Strings break, even if the guitar doesn't. Certain acoustics are built for beginners, to be used for a year and replaced by a real guitar. Above a certain point, acoustics are built to last. This is one of those acoustics that are built to last. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an amazing guitar. I cannot imagine playing anything else for the next few years, and it is definitely the kind of guitar that I will "grow into." And after a few years, I expect the sound to mature and become even more impressive. I have played guitar for almost three years now, but this is my first acoustic. I've played other acoustics extensively, but this guitar sounds better than many Martins. An extremely objective statement, but I hold to it firmly. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014