CD-60 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 05/31/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: CD-60
The Fender CD60 Acoustic Guitar starts with the power and legacy of Fender acoustic guitar design and throws in incredible value to quickly become a guitar that grabs your attention. This is a mahogany guitar with a spruce top, chrome tuners and a clean, distinctive look that just demands to be played. Hardshell case included.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 8.4
 8.8
 8.8
 8.7
reviews (7) pictures (5) 42 comments vote for this gear:
CD-60 Reviewed by: disposed_hero, on august 03, 2006

Features: Made in 2006 in china. 20 frets, 25.5" scale, nato neck, with sonokeling fingerboard and bridge (looks like rosewood). Manual specs say that it has laminated mahogany sides and back with a laminated spruce top, but mine has a solid spruce top and I can't really tell is the sides and back are but they look solid. It has a natural gloss finish. Sealed Die-Cast tuners. 3-ply binding on body top (b/w/b). And black binding on the neck and body back. Mulit-layer rosette. Black end pins with white dot. Black pickguard. White dot inlays and gold silk-screend Fender logo on head stock. For the price it's very good. // 10

Sound: As everyone knows an acoustic sounds better with age. But for a brand new guitar it sounds amazing. The only thing I don't like, is that when you bend a string it doesn't change pitch like I'd like it to, but who cares. I play a lot of metal but I bought this guitar for sitting around a camp fire. I've learned a lot of clapton unplugged and neil young unplugged and it sound just as good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was amazing, very low which I like, there was some fret polish left on the 17-20 frets but it easily came off. The inside of the guitar looks flawless, it would have been nice if it had 2 strap pins but I'm just nit picking. The top looks awesome perfectly matched. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played it a few times with some friends and it holds up well. I've smacked it a few time off a wall of a chair but no dents to the finish suprisingly. I can't say I'd play a gig with it unless I went out and bought a pickup for it but other wise it's great. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 and a half years now completly self taught. I got my first guitar and modded the hell out of it. My next guitar I built from scratch and then I wanted an acoustic, and here it is the CD-60. If it got stolen I'd buy another one because the price is great but I'd still wanna find the guy that stole it and kick his ass. I love everything about the guitar I cant really complain unless I nit pick. I compared it to the Epiphone AJ-100. I choose this one because it sounded better and had way better action. // 10

CD-60 Reviewed by: BennySaid, on january 31, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar And Amp

Features: Made in the USA sometime between 2006 (as it was introduced on January, 2006) and the time I bought it. The body consists of a laminated spruce top, the back and sides are made of laminated mahogany, it is shaped in the dreadnought-style, and is the sunburst-colored model with a polyurethane gloss finish. As for the neck, it has a Sonokeling bridge with a compensated Urea saddle, made of Nato. The fret specifications consist of a 25.3" scale, consisting of 20 frets, with a Sonokeling fretboard (which I can only assume is rosewood, because of it's dark color), the tuners are Die-Cast chrome and are non-locking. Although it apparently comes with a black hard-case, mine did not. // 9

Sound: The guitar is great for my beginner-style playing. It tunes from standard to drop d and back easily and tends to stay in tune after the initial re-tuning that almost always occurs after you put new strings on. The guitar plays very clear, crisp notes and sounds like a top-notch guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar brings to mind the first car I got when I first started driving, as even though I am still learning on it it performs with excellence every time I start. Other than a buzzing that occurred from the 6th string on the 5th fret, which was fixed for free from the place I purchased it from, there have been no other defects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for 4 months, so it has held up extremely well thus far. I have yet to put it to the test of Live playing, but I think that it would be a viable option as a Live performance. I play on it at least a two if not three hours a day, so in my opinion I think it would be a dependable guitar. The finish is beautiful and has been applied very well. Other then marks that I put on it above the sound hole, opposite of the pick guard, there have been no other blemishes. // 9

Overall Impression: A great buy for my second guitar. Fender definitely made a top-notch, quality product. I would suggest it to anyone looking to buy a good guitar at a decent price. Even though I wish I had saved my money to get an acoustic electric guitar, the strong and clear sound the resonates from this people of music-making art puts any feeling of regretful purchasing to bed. // 10

CD-60 Reviewed by: phillyguitar, on october 25, 2006

Features: This guitar was made in 2006 in China. It has 20 frets all of decent or medium size I have come to expect from Fender guitars. This guitar includes the same specs as disposed_hero's review, except that my guitar comes with built in electronics. I'm not sure who makes the pickup, on the bottom of the guitar I have a tone and volume nob. I got a nice deal on this guitar that included a free case which is pretty decent quality, I don't think that is neccesarily standard though. // 9

Sound: The first thing that drew me to this guitar was it's unique sound. I was looking for a cheap guitar and picked this guitar up randomly, but was impressed with how it sounded compared to other's of it's price range. This guitar sounds great for strumming and great for lead playing, and the pickups come through surprisingly nice. The only thing I've been dissapointed with is that fingerpicking doesn't come through as much as I would like. I've played a show already with this guitar plugged into a PA system, and it came across very clean and the quality of the sound was surprising for the price of the guitar. Just a note, replacing the stock strings with Martin, D'Adario or whatever brand you prefer should bring out the tone of this guitar more as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action I did have to play with by adjusting the trust rod in the neck, and at first there was a bit of fret buzz on the low E and A strings. After playing with the action the guitar feels and sounds great. Finish looks great, mine is a sunburst, no defects in that department. All the parts seem well made and put together. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar live and tested it, and it has traveled in the case and withstood just a couple of months of travel and play. This is a section better left completed after about a year of playing or more. This guitar seems like one I'll be playing for years to come though. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very impressed with this guitar. It's cheap, looks great (I've seen sunburst and black), and plays great. I wasn't sure because of the price, and the fact that it was made in China made me a little skeptical, but after a couple of months of playing, I think this guitar is worth every penny. I myself am a rock/blues player, and the guitar has worked very well for my style. If you are looking for an Acoustic on a budget, go for this guitar. // 9

CD-60 Reviewed by: Gnomefry, on april 15, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: My Fender CD-60 was made in China, in 2006. Like everyone else has said, it has 20 frets, 25.5" scale, nato neck, with sonokeling fingerboard, and the bridge is Sonokeling with Compensated Saddle. The finish is Sunburst Gloss Polyurethane Finish. The body is Fender Style Dreadnought. The guitar features Dual Action Truss Rod, Black Pickguard, Scalloped X Bracing, Dot Position Inlays, Compensated Urea Saddle, and a Gold Silkscreened Fender Logo. When I bought it, the guitar came with a hardshell case with the Fender logo on it. // 8

Sound: Compared to other guitars in it's price range, which is how I'm grading it, the Fender is a good pick. It suit's my music style pretty well. I usually play grunge, Indie, alternative, post-punk, metal, and punk. When I use this Acoustic it is used mainly for slide or something like the Violent Femmes. The guitar plays with a very bright and full tone; the notes come out clear and it's not muddy sounding. My only complaint is that it sounds really bad when bronze strings are being used, but that's common and can easily be changed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar, the action needed to be adjusted because it was too high, and it buzzed if you played anything other than a light strum, but that's not really a big deal. The finish was very smooth and shiny. For the four years I've had this guitar, I've never had a problem with the tuners, unlike some other Fender acoustics... The frets were set properly and did not cut me or anything. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can very well withstand a Live gig. It's been thrown, messed with by audience members, and covered in birthday cake and beer, yet it's still in one piece. But, I recommend that you bring a back up guitar because that's just common knowledge. The strap buttons are very solid, and they aren't even close to being loose yet. The sunburst finish is very strong, It withstood being smacked against a table and falling onto a sidewalk, and didn't start becoming damaged until it was taken to a large gig. // 10

Overall Impression: The Fender CD60 fit's my music styles(which I mentioned in the second paragraph). I have been playing guitar for about 6 years, and I own multiple other guitars that are all in my profile. If this guitar was stolen, I would be pretty pissed, but I would probably save up for a more advanced Acoustic. I love that it is durable, has a beautiful finish, and suit's most of my music styles, I can't really think of anything I dislike. It's perfect for playing for a small gig, or a jam session. I wish it dispensed cotton candy, but that's a long way from now. // 9

CD-60 Reviewed by: Wild_Rose, on june 11, 2008

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: STOLLAS A.E Music Store

Features: The guitar was introduced in 2006 and it's made in China and is part of the Classic Design Series. The body is dreadnought and the finish is a beautiful gloss type which shows off the sunburst color of it. It has nato neck and a laminated spruce top, which makes it really comfortable for almost everyone to hold. The fingerboard and the bridge is sonokeling and the last is with urea compensated saddle. // 10

Sound: This is my second guitar, and even with the factory strings (gauges.012 to.53) it sounds great! It suits almost all the styles, especially alternative/rock and ballads! I was playing with the factory strings for 4 months and now I've put a new set of GHS and the sound is a bit different, but still good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is very well adjusted, my only problem was the action was a bit too high for me, so the guys from the store I bought it adjusted just a little bit the truss rod and now the action is very comfortable to play with. I also had a small buzz on 3rd or 4th fret everytime I was pressing the light strings (B and E) but after the truss rod was adjusted, it disappeared! The keys and the bridge are very stable too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing with this guitar for almost 6 months, and it doesn't have a single bump on it, although it may hit the wall a couple of times:p It has only 1 strap button (as most acoustics have) and it's a nice silver one Who gives some flash on the beautiful wood of the body. Because it has a gloss finish, I have to wipe it quite often, because it has many fingertips, but even without doing it the Shine is still there. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm very pleased with this guitar, I just started playing guitar before Christmas '07 after almost 7 years of no play and it's confy, well made, all the features are matching perfectly together and I'm sure that it's gonna last. I suggest this guitar to everyone from amateurs to professionals, because for the money you are paying, it is equal to other guitars Who are worth a lot more! I'm not sure about using it a gig, because my guitar knowledge is not that good, but I believe that it won't let you down if you do it. // 9

CD-60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2011

Purchased from: gear4music.com

Features: Ok, so this was the first Acoustic guitar that I bought and to be honest, it was perfect for my needs as a beginner guitarist. The model that I have was produced in China in 2006 and has laminated sides and back (Mahogany) and laminated top (spruce). In black, the guitar looks ready to perform to even the most advanced guitarists needs, fully equipped with a sonokelling neck and bridge and classic glossed finish. I have now been playing for around two years and even though this is a basic guitar, I still use it for small Acoustic gigs. When you order it from gear4music.com you get a free Fender guitar strap, chromatic tuner and a pack of strings. At such a cheap price, this is a must for beginners! // 8

Sound: I play mainly punk/rock music and this guitar suits both genres to the maximum! Songs like Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" sound so beautiful even when being played by me as an amateur! As this guitar has aged, the sound quality has improved dramatically, as acoustics do, yet, my only problem was when I bought the guitar, the strings fitted weren't suited to bending as I am used to, but, with one change of strings with new gauges, the problem was solved. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as the appearance of this guitar goes, when un-boxed there were no scratches or nicks in the paintwork. The nut had no dried glue around it, there were no splinters on the fretboard and the hardware was rust free and shining in the light of my bedroom lamp. The wood, as far as I can tell, is top quality and no problems have been encountered in this are. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, I have used this guitar for small Acoustic gigs and in fairness it has taken a few knocks, but, apart from a few scratches, there are no cracks or dents in the bodywork. I never have used a backup with this guitar and never have I needed to. Gigging with this guitar is no problem as it holds it's tuning very well even when in D standard or Drop C. I have been using this guitar in gigs for just over a year and there are no marks where my arm swings over the body or where my hand is frequently placed on the neck. The finish appears to be durable and able to withstand years of vigorous playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I punk/rock but mainly punk and this guitar suits songs by bands such as Sum 41 and Green Day. My other Acoustic guitars are a Starsun electro-acoustic and an Epiphone EJ-200 but I still use my good old Fender for gigging. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely buy another one and I strongly recommend that any beginner wanting to learn the Acoustic guitar bus one of these models, trust me, they won't let you down! // 10

CD-60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 31, 2012

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Used

Features: Mine is made around 2010 made in china, natural a big dreadnought that I was looking for for my style but without electric part. All laminated woods for the body. Did not included any case or bag so I'll be buying one for like 20 euros with 20mm foam of protection from Fender. // 5

Sound: I play blues, rockabilly and country and it fits the genre quite well at least for the price range! A little bit trebly and it can get a little bit messed up and confused tones if I play hard with a pick or fast but otherwise it handles very well! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It came almost new for me, even with the original strings on it so I guess the set up is right up from the factory. It's good for me and I find it very easy to play comparing to a Taylor I had before. Kinda hard to take out the pins from the bridge as they can get damage by taking them off... (I used a tool with some rubber protection and it did well but it's a little bit dangerous). There was some oxidation on the frets but it easily came off with some cleaning product and now it looks great! The tuners were a little bit unscrewed and therefore some buzz was coming when strumming some strings but after a tighting it was just fine. Some buzz was detected on the 14 fret of the 4 string but nothing to worry about, maybe some set up made by a professional will make that issue flawless. Neck is perfect! Inside I could spot some glue out off the place but you need to peek inside the body to check that out, just not very good for eye seeing but nothing to worry about. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Not to use on live performances at least without some mic going on because it's not enough loud. You would need to play hard and lose some of the good tone os it. Quality is good and I think it can last decently with a little bit of care. I wouldn't drop it on the the floor though! The finish it's not so natural but okay for this price range. // 5

Overall Impression: I play manly electric guitar, have 2 Strats, 1 Tele and one Epiphone Sheraton for that but I was looking for a low budget acoustic guitar for traveling and playing on the beach without worrying too much so I guess I find the perfect match. It's a good guitar for a acoustic jam with friends and it has that classic look you can't resist. I would buy another if I got this one stolen or lost and for the price I couldn't find a better choice! Go for it you won't be disappointed! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014