CD-60 All Mahogany Review

review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
CD-60 All Mahogany Reviewed by: DarkRidder, on january 25, 2013

Price paid: € 145

Purchased from: Estudio 3 - Local Store

Features: So, this is a 2012 model, Made in China. Has 20 frets, 25.5" scale, All Mahogany (This means that neck is solid mahogany and body is laminated mahogany). The finish on it is Natural Transparent. It has pearl dot in lays, small ones (really nice), and a black pickguard, alongside with die-cast tuners and white pins with black dots. For the price, I couldn't ask for more. As far as I know, some people have solid top ones, but those are just special editions made for US only, as they do with the hardcase offering. // 10

Sound: Ok, so I am starting to play (again) and my music styles are rock, metal, jazz and some blues. It can handle very well John Mayer (played "Your Body Is A Wonderland" with a friend and sounded incredibly) and all the rhythmic he puts into its musics. The harmonics are easy to take out, even the tapping ones, so this is amusable to play. It has a rich full sound, because of the mahogany tone. Metal songs do come nice as well, as it can give that punch on bass that makes the sound awesome. I think it can play a lot of genres but if you want a brighter guitar, this is not the best buy. As this is not one looks for on a mahogany guitar, this is a top notch piece. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came really nice on her, being low as I like. Low level strings and adequatly tensioned. Possibly I would consider taking a higher gauge so it to be more smoother, but an acustic guitar is supposed to have higher tension... In the other end, the guitar body was flawless and so appeared its "guts" (can I say this here?). It does not have locking strap pins, but you can always put them... The varnish top on it is just beatiful (check NGD thread on forum to see). The guitar neck was well built and finished, without flaws on the frets! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems solid, and is indeed heavy so I think it can withstand a live acting. The tuners are nice, but probably need replacement after a long time. Strap buttons are solid, but do not lock, so giving jumps with her isn't a good idea... She seems really solid, so I could go on a gig without backup easiy. As I already said, the finish came perfect and I think it can handle hardtimes, although respecting the instrument is always nice. Fretboard wood is well treated and shall keep the forthcoming years wihtout wearing off. // 9

Overall Impression: I am really impressed with this guitar. From the day I tried it until now, I can't believe I bought a 150 bucks guitar, neither did the storekeeper. I tried a lot of guitars before buying this one, from 100 to 300 bucks, and these models seemed the best, easily (opted for the no-cutaway because of budget issues). I played guitar for 2 years with a friend, 2 years ago, and the stopped because I didn't had a guitar. He had an RG350EX Ibby, really nice guitar, but I decided to retake the journey from the acoustic level as it opens more doors to me. There is not a single thing I regret for this guitar. Ok, it's not a Gibson, neither it was supposed to be. But for the price, almost guaranteed you won't find better. If it were stolen, I would buy the same guitar again. I am really in love with its tone, the mahogany sound on her is just beautiful to listen, as it is hearing a friend playing "Paddy Sun - Sunflower" on it. The sound is just gorgeous. I was told about Yamaha FG720, but those are much more pricey and in my opinion lack the punch this one has. For those looking for a budget acoustic guitar, do yourselves a favour and try it! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 07/29/2014