DG-11 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/22/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: DG-11
The guitar features 20 frets with the neck joining the body at the 14th fret. The top is maple and the neck, back, sides are Mahogany and the fretboard/bridge is rosewood. The beauty of the mahogany is comparable to a more high end instrument and the guitar as a whole is very appeasing to the eye.
 9.5
 8.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
DG-11 Reviewed by: TW909, on january 22, 2009

Features: I got my Fender DG-11 as a gift 5 or 6 years ago. The guitar features 20 frets with the neck joining the body at the 14th fret. The top, I believe, is maple and the neck, back, sides are Mahogany and the fretboard/bridge is rosewood. My DG-11 has a natural finish but most I've seen have a black finish. The beauty of the mahogany, on my model at least, is comparable to a more high end instrument and the guitar as a whole is very appeasing to the eye. The rosette is basic black and white rings and the body is bound with a black'white ply. The action is low and it is extremely easy to play. The tuners are basic fenders and there are no electronics. // 10

Sound: The sound is smooth and round. There seems to be a nice balance betwwen the highs, lows and mids the natural harmonics all ring with clearly. I play with a pick for the most part and the click of the pick plus the rich sound lends itself to almost any style that I play. Strumming or fingerpicking the note ring clear and clean. The fretboard/neck is fast with a very comfortable action. The low price of this guitar does not represent the highend sound it produces. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't made any adjustments to the guitar since I received it and I don't experience any fret buzz. The guitar sits comfortably in your lap and your arm drapes easily over the body. There is no cutaway so accessing the frets above 14th is a bit tricky(but this is an acoustic not an electric). There were no loose or sharp edges to the frets and everything plays very smooth. The low action makes this guitar just as playable as my les paulwith a rich, natural sound that is just loud enough! The natural finish is smooth but the maple is not the best grade or perfectly bookmatched but is still very beautiful. The wood on the back, neck and sides is a beautiful, deep red with some interesting grain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm fairly sure this guitar is in the $200-$300 range and at that price it cannot be beat. I've had mine around 6 years and the guitar plays as good as the day a got her. Yes, the strap button is solid and the sound is rich and wet when recorded(even directly into the external mic on my Fostex MR-8). My guitar is by no means without it's battle scars but the finish has not flaked or worn through anywhere on the guitar or around the scratches. I keep it out of the case and don't really ginger the guitar and it still rings loud and clear. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and this acoustic allows for speed and Precision but when you slow it down the tones being produced are are soft and resinous. My buddy has an older highend dreadnought and this guitar is much more pleasant on both the eyes and the ears. I don't know what I'd do if it were stolen but it would be missed. The Fender DG-11 is made in accordance to specs of Fender Musical Corps and my model was made in Korea. Happy playing. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014