DG-11E Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 03/03/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: DG-11E
20 Frets. Laminated Top. Single pickup with Volume, and Tone control. Piezo Passive pickup. Nato Neck & Body. Rosewood Fingerboard & Bridge. Crome Covered Tuners.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 7.7
 8.6
 6.8
reviews (6) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DG-11E Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2004

Features: This is a really nice guitar. Features include.. 20 Frets. Laminated Top. Single pickup with Volume, and Tone control. Piezo Passive pickup. Neck & Body is Nato wood. Fingerboard and Bridge is Rosewood (fingerboard stained) Tuners are chrome covered Overall I like the guitar. // 8

Sound: The sound is GREAT unplugged. But once you plug it in, it sounds horrible. I play worship music at my local church, and for that it works great. I try to avoid playing plugged because the sound isn't that bad, but it is highly preferd to play unplugged. But for a 250$ guitar the sound is great, I can see myself playing it for years to come. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't changed anything about the guitar. The action is great, the bridge is fine, and the guitar doesn't show any flaws as of so far. The black paint seems to be hard to keep clean though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The realiability of this guitar is awesome. I've used it on gigs, without backup many times. The guitar only has 1 strap button, but I bought an additional strap lock that saddles around the neck of the guitar. This is a VERY tough guitar, it can withstand to be dropped without any damage to the neck or body. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style of music, this guitar is awesome. I don't regret buying this guitar one bit. Even though I was bummed that it only came in black, the rest of the guitar is awesome. My favorite feature on this guitar is the sound. It sounds great when unplugged, and I love playing so. // 8

DG-11E Reviewed by: iamrulian, on january 07, 2005

Features: I got my DG-11E as my first guitar in 2000. Made in Korea with 20 frets and laminated top. I like the reflective black finish on it, overall the guitar looks good. Rather country IMO. It's got a pickup and volume/tone control. The tuners do a good job of holding a tune. I added a strap button to the neck with glue so I wouldnt have to tie the strap to the neck. // 8

Sound: Unplugged, this guitar make a really beautiful sound. It is very warm and resonnates very well. The pickup on the other hand could be much better. When plugged this guitar loses it's warmn and has a very crispy metallic sound, specially on the higher notes. As far as variety goes, this guitar can play anything you can and was a good guitar for me to learn on. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I wasn't a big fan of the action when I first got it. This guitar was the one I started to play on, so like all beginners holding those strings down were painful. However, after I got some knowledge and played other guitars I realized the strings were too far from the fretboard. So I made some modifications and lowered the neck guide and bridge to bring the strings closer and the guitar became much better to play. I didnt get any buzzing sound from my E string and it still sounds great. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing with this guitar for about 2 1/2 years now. It's suffered some incredible accidents and yet it still sounds wonderfull unplugged. This is one rugged guitar and mine has the scars to prove it. The finish is very durable if you maintain it from time to time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alternative acoustic rock and classics. I've only been playing for about 2 1/2 years and this guitar has been with me the entire time. This is a great beginner's guitar or a great layback guitar. I'm now more knowledgeable of guitars so my next one will be a level up from the DG-11E, but if you are looking to start to learn or a guitar to simply have fun with this is your guitar. // 8

DG-11E Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Features: As I am getting back into playing the guitar, I decided I need one first. I have always like Fender acoustic guitars and picked up th DG-11E. Guitar Center was having a blow out sale, so I got the guitar, gig bag, stand, tuner and 24 picks for $260 out the door. When I got home and opened the box, I was kind of disappointed that the two way tape holding the wires from the volume control to the cable port had come loose and flopped around inside the guitar. But for the price I paid, I can fix it myself. // 8

Sound: I like to play a lot of acoustic music and so far I have not been let down. I haven't ran it through and amp yet and really don't think I am going to. The sound is full and rich. The action is set kind of high, but I don't plan on adjusting that until I get better and retrain my fore arm muscles to play again. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a little high, haven't ran it through an amp so I don't know how the pick ups are, strings seem quality. I am really impressed that it doesn't come out of tune at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't stand up and walk around to play, so the lack of a front strap button doesn't bother me at all. I am not a professional musician, I just play for fun and I see this guitar having a long life and reliability for its future. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play everything so this set up works well for me. I played for about 5 years and took 10 years off, now that I have this guitar, I am wondering how I lived without it. If it was stolen I would buy another one, no disappointments. I compared it with other guitars in my price range, ($200 - $400) and this one by far is the best in the price range, just my opinion. // 10

DG-11E Reviewed by: emoguitarplayer, on november 24, 2005

Features: I'm pretty sure it was made recently. Laminated top, Dreadnought, tone and volume controls and I had to buy the bag separately. There's only one strap button so make sure you have a strap suitable for that. // 8

Sound: When it's not plugged into an amp, it has a really awesome sound. It's a low and deep sound, the way I imagine an acoustic to sound. On an amp it doesn't sound as much like an acoustic but it may just take time to get it to sound right and it could just be my amp. It has an electric guitar sound to it on my amp, which I don't really like. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set up is awesome. I think the pick ups are a bit weak. Maybe they're not well-adjusted? Everything else seems to be in awesome shape. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live and it works fine. Strap buttons hold fine. I could definitely play this guitar without a backup. I think this guitar will last me for a while. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my first and only acoustic, but I did play acoustic before I got it. I play punk and slow acoustic stuff. If this got lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the sound but hate the pickups. I didn't get to hear that before I bought it. However, I definitely think this guitar will last me a long time and keep me satisfied. // 9

DG-11E Reviewed by: rad82, on december 21, 2005

Features: My DG-11 was made in 2005 in Korea. It has 20 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. It has a laminated spruce top. It has a nato back and slides with a natural finish. It is a dreadnought with no elctronics. It came with six picks and another set of strings. // 8

Sound: I like the sound of it. It seems to suit basically any style of music, just your classic dreadnought sound. Since there is no sound control on it (obvioulsy if you know this guitar) I'd say it has a good volume: not to loud, not to soft; good to sing with. The sound was definatly the biggest reason I picked it out. I also liked that power chords sounded great on it, unlike other guitars I've played. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I personally think it was well set up. No flaws, but I'm not to picky to begin with, as long as my fingers can get from point a to point b and it sounds good while the strings dont get out of toon too often. Maybe it could be a little more fancy, like have some graphics on the fret board, but that really doesn't affect the playing of it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this is definatly a good durable guitar, great for those "sittin' 'round the campfire with your friends and family just playing because you love to" type of events. I've dropped it a few times, being the klutz that I am, and it still almost looks like nobody has ever even played it. // 9

Overall Impression: I like basically playing every type of music on guitar, and this can suit my needs, from ska to mellow chill music, to even some punk songs. I've been playing for 5 years, this is my third guitar, but I've played lots of other guitars I didn't own, and this is one of the better acoustics I've played. // 8

DG-11E Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center on closeout

Features: As most of the other reviews have alluded to, this is a pretty standard setup dreadnought acoustic. The guitar has 20 frets, onboard peizo pickup with tone and volume controls, and I believe nato back and sides. The model I own has a gloss black finish, which I always thought was striking on an acoustic. It would be awesome if it included an onboard tuner, but this is a small personal complaint. // 8

Sound: I was actually really impressed by the sound of this guitar. I've been playing for over 12 years, and I've heard guitars costing twice as much sound like crap in comparison. The sound projects well without the boominess some dreadnoughts suffer from. The bridge is in an excellent spot for light/heavy palm muting and the harmonics really seem to jump out when playing. I've read where people gripe about the sound plugged in. Many peizo pickups sound sort of nasally through an electric amp- I suggest turning the tone all the way down or using an Acoustic amp. All in all, it probably won't pass for a Marin D28 to ears that know, but for what it cost I couldn't be happier with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is surprisingly fast for an acoustic. Even more impressive, the intonation was dead on- every fret, every string was perfect. No buzzing, dead spots, or cruddy sounds to speak of (6 years now and counting). Tuning stabability seems pretty good, which is important if you gig a lot and don't get a lot of time to sound check. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As stated above, I've had over half a decade of success with the instument with no major problems. It seems to prefer some types of strings over others, but I suppose that's not unusal for an acoustic. Though I've drug it through numerous states, apartments, gigs, etc. and it has gotten its fair share of digs and thumps, its never appeared unduely abused or have any paint flake off. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I've been happily surprised with the DG-11E. It has a warm, rich tone and quite decent plugged in sounds (if you take the time to mess with it). For a reasonable price, you get a respected name brand wit good feel and awesome vibe. But, more importantly, you get an instument you can live with, day in and day out. It doesn't ask a lot, but it gives a lot in return. Is this the nicest Acoustic ever made? No. Is this the nicest Acoustic ever made for the price? Maybe... // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014