DG-14S Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/11/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: DG-14S
Outstanding features in a high-value solid top guitar. The DG-14S sports Fender's exclusive wood tone finish, which allows the body and neck of the guitar to vibrate more freely for maximum resonance. Clear lows, robust mids, sparkling highs, and great feel and playability are what you'll find in the DG-14S.
 8.4
 8.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DG-14S Reviewed by: punkman_123, on april 11, 2005

Purchased from: My Music Megastore

Features: This guitar has no indication of where it was made, but I'm assuming it was made in China considering the price. It was made in 2004 and shipped over to Australia before 2005. This dreadnought guitar has 20 nice-sized frets layed out on a Rosewood fingerboard. It is a solid top spruce, with laminated maple back and sides and a nato neck. The finish is a nice polyurethane gloss. The rosewood bridge has a compensated saddle. There is no electronics at all. That's right, all natural. The die-cast chrome machine-heads keep their tune well. The guitar comes with an allen key to bow or hump the neck, and a spare bridge. Very good package for the price. // 8

Sound: It plays well. Very well. I play a lot of Dashboard Confessional, Jack Johnson. That kind of stuff and it keeps up well. It has a very bright sound to it. The sound was a lot better than all the other acoustics in this price range. A nice guitar indeed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Every guitar is different, but every DG-14S I played was great. The only flaw in the guitar I bought was a bit of a rough job on the nut, but that doesn't effect my playing. It really is a quality package for the price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last quite a while. Take it on your concerts, it's not likely to go wrong. Every aspect of the construction of this guitar is great, it would last a lot of gigs and I don't think you'd need a backup. But just to be safe, eh? I tend to eat through my finishes, but this one's holding up nicely. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing about 2 years and own a Squier Strat and an El Cheapo Ashton classical guitar. This is my best guitar. The one I enjoy playing the most. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy something else, but that's only because I've had it a while now, and I've got a bit more money. I love the whole guitar. I don't hate anything about it. I love how it hasn't given me any problems at all. It's a really fun and nice sounding guitar. The Fender DG-14S was superior to all the other guitars in it's price range. Other guitars I compared it to were an Ibanez and a Squier. I wish it had better strings, but hey, I can always get them. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014