DG-20S Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 07/29/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: DG-20S
Warmth and clarity combine to create the tone of this instrument. The DG-20S has a solid spruce top, and mahogany neck, back, and sides to create its tone, while giving the guitar its traditional appeal.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.3
 9.1
 7.5
reviews (3) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
DG-20S Recently reviewed by: jeffo46, on july 29, 2014

Features: Mine is a Korean made, 1999 model. It has a solid Spruce top with bracing. The sides and back are made of Mahogany and the neck is made from Nato which has a Rosewood fretboard. It has 20 frets along with the standard Fender Die Cast tuners which keep this in tune forever. It is a Dreadnought design which suits me just fine. I can't however, find any information anywhere as to what years these were made and what the retail price on them were. I got this in a trade just last week and it was the bargain of a lifetime IMO. // 10

Sound: I made the switch from electric to acoustic, back in March after 42 years of doing so. I needed a change and was tired of dealing with the band scene. This guitar just sings like a bird as far as tone and sustain are concerned. The action on this, is nice and low although I suspect that the previous owner put in a new bridge saddle because there are no file marks on it for the strings to settle into. But I don't have a problem with that at all. This guitar sounds great and I'm sure would hold up to a Martin or a Taylor IMO. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Believe it or not, I actually traded a Squier SA-50 along with a few sets of strings for this and I know I got the better part of the deal to say the least. The only thing I noticed, was that there was no pickguard and no signs of it being messed with in that area either, which has me concerned if this is a early model that was made without one? I've seen photos of later models with one, so I now have one on order which I will put on it. There are no flaws on this although I'm not a fan of the stock plastic bridge pins which will be soon replaced with some Graph-Tech Tusq ones. Other than that, I have no problems with this baby at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seeing that this one is already 15 years old and still going strong, I don't think durability will be a problem here at all. I know I can use this on a gig as the only guitar without needing any backup at all. The finish is aging a bit, but it looks just fine and adds a sort of rustic look to it which I enjoy. I know I'll be using this for many years to come. These older models from Fender are IMO, more durable than the Chinese made crap that is flooding the market today! I'm actually considering getting another one. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing now for over 42 years and I am having a blast with this guitar. Pity the fool who tries to take it from my hands, for he will be needing life insurance of the highest caliber, he will! This blows away IMO, any of Fender's Chinese made acoustic product that they have out today. I couldn't even see myself playing any other acoustic guitar than this one. As a matter of fact, I'm going to look on eBay to see if any of these are available so that I can add another one to my collection. // 10

DG-20S Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2004

Features: 20 frets, 6 string dreadnaught acoustic guitar from Fender. Solid spruce top and body, mahogany neck. Natural finish. // 8

Sound: Ok let me get this straight from the beginning. This guitar sings. It has a totally incredible sounds. When I went into the shop, I was trying out several guitars in the 200 range. I wasn't really having a lot of joy finding anything that really stood out when the shop owner suggested I try the slightly more expensive one. I thought, well there's a surpirse, guitar shop guy trying to sell me a more expensive guitar. Wehn I picked it up and gave it a quick strum, it blew me away. The difference between this guitar and its lower priced 200 mark competitors was incredible. This guitar has a rich full sound, with a nice bright top end and full mod range and bassy tone. It really sings, lots of sustain and a gorgeous tone. I tried a few Martins and an Ovation in the 500+ range for comparrisson, and this Fender was equal to a few and better than the rest. I can;t get over how great it sounded, so I bit the bullet and paid a little over my budget. Haven;t regretted it at all. My only criticism, is that if you give it a good hammering while playing it tends to sound a little boomy, but hey, its a drednaught, they all do that. Also, this thing is loud enough that you don;t have to beat crap out of it to be heard. I play mostly rock, blues, Folk, and I'm starting to get into singer/songwriter stuff. This suits all of these styles, it sounds equally as good being strummed or picked. Its a real all rounder. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish and craftsmenship on this guitar is fantastic. Beautifully constructed, no marks, visable glue, feels pretty solid and it looks fantastic. The bridge, nut and machine heads are all of great quality, doesn;t look like any corners have been cut building this. I sometimes can;t belive what a great guitar this is for what I paid for it. The factory set up was ppretty good, I'm finding it a little difficult to play, but this is the first acoustic I have had instead of an electric in about four years. Compared to the others I tried in the shop, this one by far had the best action and set up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's still new, so not sure on this one. It sounds good so far, and when I jam with my friends, it stands out from the others. The build all looks and feels solid, I will be using this as my number one guitar for practice and most likely gigs too. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 7 years now and have spent 7 years playing electric guitars. I decided to make the leap over to acoustic mostly because I have joined an 'unplugged' type band. Playing acoustic is a new experience for me, but of all the guitars I triend in various stores, and compared to my friends guitars, this one sounds outstanding. If this got broken or stolen, I would be heart broken, this guitar has made me fall in love with guitars and playing them all over again. It sounds corny but it has inspired me to expand my playing styles and abilites. IF it got stolen or broken, I would first kill whoever broke or stole it, then I'd go buy a new one. // 10

DG-20S Reviewed by: mike2005, on august 13, 2004

Features: My Fender Acoustic is a 2004 made in Korea. It's the DG-20 CE Natural, w/ the cutaway. It has 20 frets, a laminated mahogany body, w/a rosewood neck. It's got you basic equalizers for an acoustic-electric. The tuners are very smooth and stay in tune. // 10

Sound: The sound is very bright, very impressive for the price through my joke of an amp it doesn't sound as bright when turned up more than halfway, but still maintains a good sound below 5. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a little high, but still very playable everything came perfect, no flaws what so ever. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've knocked this guitar into a few walls and chairs w/ no visible damage. The guitar is built solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much classic rock, modern rock, and some emo. This will cover every acoustic song in these categories, as it should. I've been playing for almost a year and this is my first acoustic. Before this guitar I had a Squier Strat. If it were stolen I would buy it again. I love everything about this guitar, there is nothing I would change. I compared it to an Ibanez in roughly the same price range and chose this one because of the looks and name. I knew the Ibanez was a good guitar, but something about a Fender made me go for this one. I would definately recommend this guitar as a great first acoustic or first guitar in general as well as to anyone just wanting to get a cheaper acoustic w/a great sound. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic '50s Stratocaster 8.8 Electric Guitars 07/28/2014