DG-85 Review

7.9
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
DG-85 Reviewed by: Humbleplayer, on april 20, 2011

Features: I have to admit that what first drew my attention to this guitar was the finish. I have not seen a nicer finish on a "low end" guitar yet. Mine has the classic Acoustic look, or natural finish, and I receive compliments on its appearance regularly. The kit which I purchased supplied everything you'll need except picks and a capo. Some will find the instructional DVD which is include to be of great help. The tuner works fine, as do the accessory tools for changing strings (extra set included). // 9

Sound: As previously mentioned, the appearance of this guitar is what made it stand out initially. However, once I picked it up and sampled the sound I was floored. In my humble opinion, the sound quality was far better than other manufacturers' similarly priced guitars. In fact, I just couldn't talk myself into spending an extra $100-$200 even though I had come prepared to do just that, because the sound quality wasn't much different in that price range, if any better at all. Overall, this guitar offers a nice balance of fullness and brightness. All the posts I've read so far indicate a slight buzz on the low E string and I would agree, although it's almost not noticeable when it does occur, which isn't always. There's no question this is not a Martin or Taylor. Those guitars will impress you the very moment you strike a chord. But, dollar for dollar, I think this is the best value, bar none. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Another selling feature is the action on this guitar. I am baffled when I read other posts suggesting this guitar's action is difficult. It was one of, if not the easiest guitar to play in its range. Out of the box, it plays fine with no additional adjustments necessary. Several players far more advanced than me have played it and agree that it is a rather easy Acoustic to play. Perfect for beginners but fine for more accomplished players too. No noticeable flaws in my guitar and as I've said before, the finish is beautiful and gives the impression of a much more expensive instrument. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not play live, yet, my I do play frequently and occasionally strum pretty hard. The guitar shows no signs of breaking down and stays in tune exceptionally well. 2 years after my purchase, the finish still looks like new. Of course, I hate a dirty instrument so I polish it every few months when I replace the strings. I can't say it enough; this is a good looking guitar! // 9

Overall Impression: I am not a professional player, much closer to a beginner in talent. But, those I know who are more accomplished like this guitar nearly as much as I do. I would buy another one in a heart beat and if I decided to give it to one of my more accomplished friends, they'd be delighted. Sounds very good, looks terrific and I expect it to last a long, long time. Highly recommended! // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014