DG-8S Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 12/06/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: DG-8S
6-String Dreadnought Body Style. Nato Top and Neck. Rosewood Fretboard. 20 Frets. Natural Finish.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.6
 Features: 8.3
 8.1
 8.2
 7.9
reviews (9) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2005

Features: Solid Spruce top, whick i thought was pretty impressive for a value pack guitar. Classic acoustic look, very nice actually, i think i'd rather the classic acoustic look then a fancy ass one. Came with a load of stuff thats pretty useful if you're a beginner, or you like to take your guitar on the run. Nice overall guitar. // 9

Sound: Has a very nice, and clear tone. It does have a bit of a buzz on the low E. But I find it doesent happen all the time, and its only really noticiable when you strum hard. Probably just needs a little truss rod tweak. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Contrary to what many people say about this guitar, the action on mine when I got it was actually too low. I cant see how people say these guitars have an extremely high action because it was no different then the other guitars in the store. No flaws or anything like that, it was put together rather well actually. I was impressed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems like a rugged piece of equipment. I would say live playing wouldnt be a problem, but its more of a campfire/party/have a laugh kinda guitar I believe. It's one of those guitars you just leave around the house whenever you feel like writing or playing that riff that you have in your head. // 8

Overall Impression: I went out looking for a guitar I wouldn't be afraid to smack up. Something to bring around to just break out when friends were over havin' a few beers. After looking through some used sales ads and crap like that I wasen't pleased. People wanted an arm and a leg for something not worth the gas money to go buy it. I dropped into a local music store one day to see what they had and the employee showed me this guitar. Instantly I couldnt believe the quality sound it had, it really does sound very very very good for the price you pay. Skeptical of the "value pack" guitar, I picked up a few guitars in the $400-$600 price range, and I'm not gonna lie to you like 99% of people do, these guitars sounded better, but not much, and certainly not enough to pay hundreds of dollars more for. And when it comes down to it, it's a Fender, it's gonna be a quality product, Fender didn't get thier repuation by selling people crap. I'd say, it's a great beginner guitar, and a decent Intermdiate player guitar, because it really isnt like the guitars you usally find in these packages, this thing is actually a decent guitar. And well worth the money. So if you want something you can bring around, and wont have to worry about spending alot of money or it letting you down, I'd go with this one no matter how old you are or how long you've been playing. // 9

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Purchased from: Absolut Music

Features: A standard dread, made in China, with a beautiful finish. I bought it in 2003. Came with all the standard "Pac" stuff. Tuner, bag, strap, picks, strings, and a video. I gave all that to a friend as I had better stuff already, but they were all good standard beginner stuff. // 8

Sound: At the time I bought it I was playing Traditional Country, Bluegrass, and "Midwest" Rock with a My Grandfathers '39 Gibson 000. Later when the Band decided to move into Rockabilly I had a Dean Markley pickup installed. I also added a strap button on the heal for comfort. I've played our Bass players Taylor & Gibson J200 & wouldn't trade it for either. I run it through a Peavey EFX 10 (Absolut Music again) with a touch of Doubler & 3 on the Reverb. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm still playing the factory setup. I couldn't find anything that I didn't like about the finish. The only complaint I have ever had seems to be a common one. Buzz on the low E. I know one other guy who has one of these (on my recomendation) and the other reviews here also mention it. A few months ago I installed brass bridge pins just cause I thought they looked cool & low and behold the buzz is gone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliable & durable? You tell me. If playing rhythm in a 3 piece Rockabilly band ain't hard enough on a guitar I use Herco Heavey thumb picks and tape them on. Whacking that against Martin EXP. 012s for 2 solid hours twice a week. It ain't the guitars fault that I'm about 1/2 way thruogh the pick gaurd. But it stays in tune. We always have a backup for me (my buddys Taylor) and our lead player (he plays a G&L ASAT with an Affinity Strat for backup wich he's never needed) but they're just there for broken strings. And that's not unusual for me, but again, it aint the guitars fault. But if I had my choice of any guitar to keep as a backup, it'd be another DG-8S! // 10

Overall Impression: It's perfect for me. Aside from not being factory amplified. But then again I don't care for Piezos. I've been playing for 30 years & I've had a Yamaha, a Gibson 000, a Hofner, a Harmony (my Dads) a Strat, & a Tele. I've played Martins, 5 other Gibsons, a Taylor, Ovation, & everything in my favorite shops acoustic room. And I don't plan to ever buy anything else. OK, so if some letters on the headstock are worth a thousand bucks to you go ahead. But rest assure that I'll be telling jokes about you in between numbers at the gig Tuesday night. Oh yeah, one more thing. Almost every review I read tells what they'd do if thier guitar was lost or stolen. Well I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd call Casey and tell him to pull a DG-8S out right now, install my Dean Markley pickup, put on the EXPs with the brass pins, and I'll be there to pick it up in the morning. // 10

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2004

Purchased from: MJ's Music

Features: I'm not absolutely sure what year it was made, but I got it 2003 Christmas, first hand, so it was probably 2003. This was made in china and ahs 20 frets. It has solid top and has a genuine satin finished mahogany body and a rosewood neck. The body is dreadnought and has a normal neck with normal frets. // 8

Sound: I think that this guitar suits me, I have only been playing for around 3/4 of a year but already can play pretty good (according to friends who also play guitar) I normally play grunge/punk tunes but with the acoustic I play some other styles of music like Indie, but on the acoustic. I think that the guitar has a nice sound to it, abit heavy and 'compressed' but other than that its a nice sound. The only thing I have to complain about is the low E string always has a buzz on it, which can get really annoying, but a trip to the local guitar shop can get tat sorted out (I just haven't done that). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the action is slightly high (like most acoustics) as im used to an electric guitar but I have grown to be used to it, in the future I may have them slightly lowered. When I got it from the guitar shop it was out of tune and i had abit of difficulty getting it in to tune, but I found it right eventually and now it hardly every needs tuning. This acoustic looks like the rest of the Fender Dg series (acoustic). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar will definatly withstand live playing, I play this guitar most days for hours on end and there is no sign of it ever being used really. I admit im not very careful with my guitars and have a tendency to knock of bash them abit, either that or my sister does that for me, but even from the knocks and bangs the guitar still seems to be fine and has no damage to the finish. The strap buttons are plastic, which is pretty bad, but saying that they haven't broken since I have had it, and i use it mostly standing up with the strap. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this guitar is very good value for the money that it costs, I think it will probably be aimed at the beginner to intermediate players. I have been playing for around 3/4 of a year, yet most of my friends that have been playing for over 3 years say that I play pretty good. I own a Yamaha Pacifica, this guitar and a small amp that came with the Yamaha. If this was stole again I would definatly reconsider buying this again, I would probably look around for any new guitars too, but this guitar is definatly up on the list. The only thing I can think of that will make it better is for its low E string to stop buzzing, but once again that can be sorted quickly. // 8

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2005

Features: I just received the Fender as a gift last year. I never really paid attention to where and what year it was made. I have not counted how many frets the guitar has on it, but I am assuming the number is the same as the other review states. In addition since I am fairly new player I stick mostly to the top four frets and anything after those I don't pay attention too. The neck however looks more maple than rosewood and the it is a solid top with a satin finish. // 8

Sound: I practice playing a lot of classic rock (Crosby, Stills and Nash; Eagles) and country songs (Alabama and Hank Williams Jr.) and the guitar is great for this type of music. The sound is clear and the chords I play ring true. Since, I am basing this purely on my first guitar it does fit my selection of music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well since I took it out of the box and was given some basic chords to strum it sounded very well. After about two hours of practicing a small adjustment on the strings and they are ready again. I have had the opportunity to play a friends Martin guitar and did notice that this guitar strings ride higher above the fretboard, however it does not effect the quality of the sound, it just means your fingers get tougher quicker. I would have to say for pulling this guitar out of a box and playing it right away was a treat. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will last as long as the owner treats it as a true instrument and takes the time to conduct regular maintenance and cleaning it should withstand the owners play. Also, if the owner keeps the guitar cased when not playing it should be last long enough to pass down generations of players. It is just like a car if you don't take care of it, it won't last that long. // 8

Overall Impression: As I stated before, I received the guitar as a gift last May 2004 and the Fender is a great match for the type of music I want to learn to play. I also think that it is a great beginner guitar for those who want to start playing and continue to play. The only thing I wish it had is a front strap button. If this was lost or stolen, I would possibly purchase it again. My disclaimer however is as one becomes more proficient in play your taste and quality in instruments also change. So this would be a consideration prior to purchasing this guitar again. On a sidebar note, if I had a niece or nephew who was interested in playing guitar I would not hesitate to purchase this guitar for them to play. // 10

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2010

Purchased from: Florida Discount Music

Features: Fender GS8 s made in China. Natural finish traditional style Dreadnought. Natural look. Comes with gig bag, tuner, strap, CD, steel strings. This model comes with a wood front. 20 frets. // 5

Sound: Sound is OK for a beginner guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar action was a bit high on the lower frets. The upper ones were just fine. Will play it a while and see just how the adjustments have to be made.' The guitar has several flaws around the frets. Some worker missed placed the no 12 fret location dots on on fret 13, then of course corrected it. However, you can see 2 very small marks on fret 13. The stain on the neck is sloppy. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Since I just got this guitar Its difficult to answer these questions. However, I will say that only time can answer these questions. If I had to respond I would reply in the negative. // 5

Overall Impression: I am a novice, and just taking lessons. I would never have bought this guitar knowing what I know about it now. I saw an Alverez that I should have gotten, now I have a bad case of buyers remorse. The guitar looks cheap, if you take a very close look at it you can see several flaws that I had mentioned earlier. Having said all this. I would say that for a beginner guitar its a step over department store junk. The gig bag that comes with it is flimsy and in time will rip. It has very little padding. The tuner is OK, but there are better on the market for not that much money. The strap is useless and I would not use it at all. The intro CD that comes with it, is really very basic. I am at a loss as to why this product has gotten so many good review. I just can't understand it... // 3

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2011

Features: I received the guitar pack as a gift, what a great gift! Assembled in China, this 20 fret, solid spruce top dreadnought with a rosewood fretboard and maple body has a beautiful clear lacquer finish, I think. It came with a gig bag, tuner, tuning head, strap, truss rod adjuster, an extra bridge with shims, extra pegs, and an instructional dvd. Great package! // 10

Sound: I have played for 20 years and have never owned a guitar straight out of the box. Being skeptical, I put it to the test immediately! I play mostly rock and folk, and tend to play my guitars a bit rough. I have yet to experience the buzz on the low E I have read about, and it seems to stay in tune rather well! It has a nice full, crisp sound and great sustain, and though the action is a bit high, it's overall playability is great! I would recommend this instrument even to professional musicians, especially as a backup for those onstage performers that need a good sounding guitar in a pinch! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not being a luthier, the fit and finish seem perfect to me! Everything seems to be aligned correctly, nothing loose at all. I was pleased to find it came with a strap peg on the bottom, and a bolt on strap button on the top, eliminating the need to tie the strap on at the headstock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Being rather hard on my guitars, this one seems well constructed! I am prone to walking around the house, unintentionally banging into furniture etc with guitars, and so far (after 2 months of daily playing) not a scratch! The hardware seems nice and solid. My only concern is how well the string pegs will hold up after a couple years, or by the 50th string change, but I'm still playing on the strings that were on it from the factory! I would certainly use this guitar for live playing, perhaps even without a backup! // 10

Overall Impression: I like to rock out, so I'm not all that gentile on my guitars. I've been playing blues, Folk and rock for 20 years, mostly as a rhythm player. But playing lead on this guitar is no problem! If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would absolutely purchase another one! At the moment I own no other equipment, but over the years I've had lots of other guitars and equipment. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a new and used instrument store, and have seen far less quality instruments for a much greater price! Sure your going to pay more for those top of the line guitars, a lot more! And there will be those whose quality is markedly better than this guitar! But you will be hard pressed to find a match in quality vs price than what this guitar offers! The only feature I wish it included is a built in pickup, just something simple. I might just install one myself. Other than that, I would say this is one of the best deals out there for a simple no frills all around good guitar! Go Fender! // 10

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Purchased this off craiglist but it was clear that the girl who I bought if off had clearly given up on guitar and had bought the Fender package. Came with gig bag (nothing to brag about but fine for casual and careful transportation, some picks, electronic tuner (works fine though I've used better), a strap (which is still in the packaging) and a spare set of strings. I don't think it comes with a capo though so I bought one. I also picked up a hardcase for $25 at a local pawnshop since I'm taking it on the plane. // 9

Sound: Made in China...I was nervous at first but the guitar sounded great. I do understand some previous users' complaints on the low E, but I can live with it for the price. I'm planning to upgrade once I get better and use this for as a backup or for travel. I'm playing mostly pop/rock songs that I'm learning from youtube and it works fine. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was good and low. My buddy who is more experienced than me said it was pretty fast. I even played a few other guitars at the Guitar Center and noticed that my action was much better. That's about all I can comment on other wise. Everything else from the build to the finish seemed fine and in good shape. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't plan on live playing. The strap buttons and the bridges are made of plastic. The bridges seem to hold the tune fine. I don't care much for the strap buttons since I play sitting down. Overall, the hardware seems like it will last, no loose parts or rattles. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar for beginners and also a guitar that intermediate and advanced players won't complain about. I definitely could tell that this wasn't a $500 guitar but it honestly was able to hold its own. If you are looking for a reliable guitar for a decent price or if you are looking to buy a first guitar and want all the accessories needed to get started, this is your guitar. // 9

DG-8S Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2011

Features: This is a solid-top spruce guitar I bought in late 2008; I'm assuming it was made within the year. It was part of the value pack that comes with gig bag, tuner, strap, etc. It has a high gloss, classic Acoustic finish. I'm also assuming that the back and sides are laminate; it is a very basic Fender model. // 8

Sound: I'm a woman interested in country, bluegrass, alt country, etc. It is a straight acoustic; no electric capabilities. No amps, no effects. I do notice the low E buzz that others mentioned; however I assumed previously that it was my own lack of skill that caused it. It can produce a pretty big sound; however I try to play much more quietly because 1) I suck and 2) I live in an apartment and the neighbors hear me singing plenty enough as it is. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Here is my beef: I read many reviews before buying a guitar, and all of them said that this guitar is great for beginners - but these reviews were all written by more experienced players. This guitar is NOT GREAT FOR BEGINNERS. The action is HORRIBLE - it is way too high and almost impossible to fret any chords on the B or high E string - and it just gets higher as you move down the neck. Just so you understand where I'm coming from, I had a few classical guitar lessons as a kid, and I am 5'11" tall. My left hand measures 7.25" from base of palm to top of middle finger, and my middle finger is 3.25" long. I have large hands and long fingers; I knit and crochet and sew and have a great deal of manual dexterity and hand strength. At my first lesson last week, my teacher was surprised and impressed by my left hand positioning. Over the weekend I went to the guitar shop and played a variety of guitars - a Seagull, or a Taylor, or a Martin among them, all in the $350 - $550 price range - and I had NO problems fretting the chords on the B or high E. I come home and try to practice, and it's a disaster. I'm going to take it to a repair shop to see if they can adjust the truss rod and fix it; otherwise I'm selling it as fast as possible. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Finish is good; I'm pretty careful with it so I don't know how it would stand up to rougher use. I don't play live and have no intentions of doing so anytime soon. The strap attachments seem fine - the button on the bottom is solid, and the top of the strap is affixed with some black cord and a clip. // 8

Overall Impression: I am hoping to learn country and bluegrass. I think an Acoustic or Acoustic-Electric is a good fit. I don't own any other guitars currently; in the past I owned a classical nylon 6 string, a 4 string electric bass, and a 5 string jazz electric bass. I wish I'd asked to take it out of the package and check the action before I bought it, and I most definitely would not buy it again, as I can't stand playing it. It looks nice, the sound is decent, and it holds tuning marvelously well; however none of that matters if you can't stand to play it. My ex-bf convinced me to buy this over the Seagull that I wanted, saying that if I invested the time, I could upgrade once I got better at it. I should have known better and gotten exactly what I wanted, because if I get something I love I'm more inclined to play it. This is all hindsight, but if I were advising someone on what guitar to buy, I would say go for what you like that is the best you can afford (and this guitar was not then and is not now the best I can afford.) // 3

DG-8S Reviewed by: Jim.bowers, on december 06, 2011

Features: I bought this package two months ago in 2011 and I love it. The fit and finish is excellent and the sound is great. I tried many different models in the acoustic room and thought it sounded as good as others costing hundreds more. I did end up putting a new set of strings on it as the ones that came on it were cheap and not flexible enough. I have not had the problem with the low E buzz others have reported so perhaps they have solved it or I got lucky to get one without it. I play it daily and expect it will last for years. I would definitely buy it again! // 10

Sound: The sound is excellent but I have to re-tune it every time I play it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is great and put together well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play it live but play it daily and it looks as good today as when I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock with it and play somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I tried Taylor and Martin acoustic models and this sounded every bit as good as they did. I chose the Fender DG8S because it was so well put together and came with the other gear in the package deal. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014