GA-45S Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 05/30/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: GA-45S
This is a beautiful guitar, and its sound matches its looks.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.5
 4.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
GA-45S Reviewed by: bigalreturns, on june 02, 2005

Purchased from: Woods Music

Features: I paid 300 for this guitar around 3 years ago, when it was reduced from 500 in the shop, and I think every penny was well spent! It's held its value as well, I see similar aged guitars selling for 250+ on eBay! It's got a 20-fret fretboard. It didn't come with a scratchplate, but as I don't like using picks neway, I don't care! // 8

Sound: I love playing acoustic versions of songs by bands like Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, and anyone else who's songs adapt well to the acoustic. This guitar is perfect for me as it has a great full sound, perfect for strumming. The only area it falls down in for me, is that it is very quiet when fingerpicking higher frets (12+, although this isn't a major problem for me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set-up when I bought it. After 4 years of playing its developed a slight mis-intonation at from fret 10 upwards on the high e string, but this doesnt bother me much, as only a small bend is rewuired to sort it! sure it could be fixed with a visit to the shop as well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built solidly. It got hit by a rebounding dart last year, and it barely even scratched the finish! The strap button was very loose however, and has required superglueing into place. Other than this I'd have no problems gigging with it, as I think you could drop an amp on it and it would just laugh in your face! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a beautiful guitar, and its sound matches its looks. I've been playing for around 6 years, started with a 3/4 classical, before buying this after much saving. I now own a stagg 12-string acoustic and a Gretsch Jet II. These are both nice guitars, but neither compares in sound to the Fender. If it got lost or stolen, I'd probably cry 'cause I can't afford to replace it, but when I'd saved this would definitely be top of the replacememnt list! So please, don't steal it! If you want a beautiful sounding acoustic, maybe to complement your bands sound, then look no further! // 10

GA-45S Reviewed by: dmking2, on may 30, 2006

Purchased from: Garret Park Guitars

Sound: I like playing everything from blues to metal to country (ok, mostly just Johnny Cash when it comes to country). Being an acoustic I haven't tried to put it through the paces of metal, but for blues, jazz, country, folk, etc. this guitar does quite nicely. I've only played it through an amp once and it sounded phenomenal. The only effects I've tried were a little chorus and reverb the one time I played through an amp, and it just added a completely different dimension to the sound. It's got a nice full sound that I haven't found in other guitars in the same price range. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Natural polyurethane gloss finish with no pickguard. Abalone inlays. Tortoise shell binding on the body and fingerboard. Okay, this guitar is beautiful. Abso-friggin-lutely beautiful. The overall finish, binding, and inlays make this guitar almost as satisfying to look at as it is to play. Action was fine from the factory. A bit higher than I was used to toward the upper frets, but easy enough to adjust to. I really only play up to about the 12th fret on this guitar anyway, so the somewhat high action up high really isn't an issue for me. The only issue that I had with the guitar were the factory strings, but I changed those out for some Elixer .013's and it just came to life. If you haven't tried Elixer strings yet, do yourself a favor and get some, you'll be happy you did. I honestly can't find anything to complain about with this guitar. It looks great, it plays great, it sounds great. One of the nicest acoustics I'm played in quite a while. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar out yet, but I have a feeling that it will hold up quite nicely, treated with the proper respect of course. Like any hollow-bodied guitar, I don't recommend dropping it down the stairs or anything, but if you don't beat the snot out of it, I suspect it will hold up quite nicely. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an amazing guitar, and if it were stolen, I'd find the shit stain that took it and beat HIM to a pulp. Then I'd go buy another one. Like I said, I have no complaints at all about this guitar. It's a great instrument for the money and one that I think a guitarist of any level would appreciate having in their collection. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014