Stratocoustic Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/21/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Fender: Stratocoustic
Laminated spruce tops, state-of-the-art, one-piece fiberglass bodies, and electric guitar necks with the trademarked Fender headstock design. Fishman Classic 4 electronics.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.9
reviews (5) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Stratocoustic Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2004

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This is a decent 21 fret acoustic/electric guitar. It features a durable fiberglass body (that doesnt seem to hurt the sound too much). It features Fishman classic 4 piezo pickup system (that actually sounds pretty good plugged in). // 8

Sound: This was my first acoustic guitar. There is a slight stock fret buzz that seems to go away with a little peg work. I would say it is a very versitile guitar: you can play pretty much anything with it (even some moderately difficult solos). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There wasn't any body damage, the guitar came in great shape. However the pickup was hanging out of the inside when it arrived, but it was no problem, I just pushed it back in there and never had a problem with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely durable. The fiberglass body is very sturdy. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a really good guitar. You will have to mess with the pegage to get rid of some of that fret buzz, it is pretty bad out of the box. I have had mine for like 7+ months and havnt had a single problem with it. It is soooo lightweight, you can take it anywhere. I would say this guitar would be good for someone looking for a good ac/elec. // 8

Stratocoustic Reviewed by: matthew_z31, on april 07, 2005

Sound: The Stratacoustic doesn't really fit my main style of music (I'm a Zep-head) but I suppose that it is well suited for learning the basics and some simple riffs and such. As I stated earlier I've only had the guitar plugged into an amp once and it sound pretty good on it. Beware, when going acoustic the guitar has a rather flat tone to it. It has no bass reponse whatsoever, but hey it's a thinline. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar well suits me. I'm not sure if it's just because I've gotten so used to it or what but I really have to adjust to play on other guitars. The finish of the Stratacoustic is very nice and a pick-gaurd would come in handy as the guitar doesn't have one. Other than that I haven't came across anything. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock, some metal, some country, some blues, well heck I play a little of everything and to be honest the tone doesn't fit my needs. In my opinion though, the guitar is great for learning on. Like I said earlier I've been playing about 5 months on this guitar and 5 to 6 months my buddy's prior to me purchasing the Stratacoustic. May God be with the soul that trys to steal my guitar. Afterall it's my first guitar, I love that thing ('nuff said). I love the durability, I would prefer a fuller, richer tone. Played several others while shopping for this one, a Martin, a Taylor, an Ovation and I wound up with the Stratacoustic. Why it over a Martin or Taylor? Because I couldn't afford a Martin or a Taylor. // 6

Stratocoustic Reviewed by: Synectics, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I recently received my Fender Stratocoustic and right out of the box, I was amazed. This was the first Fender instrument I've ever purchased, and if all Fender's are like this, I must say I will become a believer. The Stratocoustic consists of a fiberglass body with a laminated spruce top, and a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard (21 frets), and a standard Stratocaster headstock. The body is only 3" deep, making it almost as thin as a standard electric. Being an acoustic / electric, the guitar has on-board preamp, with bass, treble, mid, prescence (mid-sweep), and volume controls, with a low-battery indicator light (requires an included 9v battery). The tuners are great, and I haven't experienced any tuning slippage yet. And on top of all this, the black finish looks amazing. The guitar is absolutely beautiful, and will steal the flash from a dreadnought anyday. // 9

Sound: The fiberglass body takes a lot away from the overall volume of the guitar, along with, unfortunately, some of the tone. I found it pretty difficult to get it sounding nice and loud while finger-picking, and strumming with your thumb, it just isn't as loud as a regular-shaped acoustic. Despite these short-comings, the guitar has a very unique tone, and sounds great when played properly. And plugged in, the guitar sounds somewhat similar to a semi-hollow body. The built-in preamp adds a great dynamic to shaping your tone, and lets you dial in exactly what you like. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This, I believe, is where the Stratocoustic shines the most. The guitar is absolutely beautiful, and seems to glisten. The neck, being identical in almost every way to a Stratocaster's, is a joy to play on. While I've heard some people complain about the action out of the box, I experienced no problem with fret-buzz, nor have I had a problem with the strings being too spaced from the fretboard. It's a wonder to look at, and amazing to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My first plugged-in session had me worried I would be shipping the Stratocoustic back. The onboard preamp felt very touchy, and I couldn't quite get it to stay on, even though it was plugged in. After some messing around, I got it to come on, and have since had no problems. The spruce top is so beautiful, that I'm afraid anytime I accidently bump it into something, it'll leave a nick on it. If anything, I'd be worried about accidently denting the top. Otherwise, the hardware is solid and unbreakable, and the finish will last. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is my new baby, I can't even let it rest in anything but a proper stand. I love the feel of the electric, but the practicalness of being able to have an acoustic jam session anytime I want. It's a great buy, and is a great fit for almost any style, though, obviously, it's meant for the many styles of rock, due to the very electric feel of this acoustic ax. If only the body was a little more solid, to uphold the tone and help raise the unplugged volume, I would deem this the perfect acoustic guitar ever. // 9

Stratocoustic Reviewed by: mrmystic, on september 21, 2009

Features: Finish: Satin, (Polyurethane) Top: Laminated Spruce Bracing: X Bracing Back and Sides: 1-Piece Fiberglass Neck: Maple Fingerboard: Rosewood No. of Frets: 21 Bridge: Fender Rosewood with Compensated Saddle Machine Heads: Chrome, (Die-Cast) Electronics: BG3-TN Preamp with Built-In Tuner: Volume, bass, middle, treble, low Battery indicator light, tuner On/Off Switch Scale Length: 25.5" Body Depth: 3" Width at Nut: 1.69" Width at Heel: 2.12" Unique Features: Oval Sound hole, dot position inlays, Strat headstock, Fender body shape Strings: D'Addario EXP-26 Phosphor Bronze, Gauges .011 to .052 // 9

Sound: A bit quieter than I would have hoped but still an amazing guitar to learn on and just have fun on. The stocks strings don't do it justice. I highly recommend a smaller string for it otherwise it just sounds a bit off. After changing the strings it works great for softer classic rock, jazz, blues and some country. For metal it is a bit off but still not bad as a cheap practice guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was adjusted perfectly. It is not to low or to high. Everything on is was pretty close to perfect. Only small problem was a few scratches on the front, but I bought it from a friend Who bought it a few weeks before from guitar center so it could have been scratched after leaving the factory. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Almost everything on it seems like it would hold up. I only play it for a small class but if given the opportunity I feel it would be able to perform. Only issue I have is at times the tuner doesn't register right. If performing Live I would check the tuning on a different tuner to be sure on the sound. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a little bit of everything, and it seems to work out for most genres. Only genres it doesn't match that great are classical country and metal. If I lost it I would definitely buy another. One of the only things I wish it had was a different tuner, not just because this one can be off, but I would prefer one that showed how far off you are not just a general direction to tune it. // 9

Stratocoustic Reviewed by: langkaleb, on january 21, 2010

Features: This hollow body is the best on I have ever played. I have played the Washburn j-9 and this guitar blows it away in volume, tone and overall acoustic sound.This guitar is very good for someone who likes to play classical with and electric amp. I played a classical style that inluences my metal so when I hooked up this guitar to a Fender reverb amp and hear the Yngwie Malmsteen sound, I flipped out. This guitar has all the tone options (treble, bass, brilliance, mid, volume) on the top of the body. The tuners were plain stock tuners, Stratocaster holowbody look, fixed bridge, black, japanese made with a rosewood fret board. The only bad thing about the guitar is that when you maybe need to strum quickly, you might hit the battery area and this will throw off your playing, and the sound of the settings. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a wide variety of sounds and tone. I used it on a Fender reverb amp and a Spider 3 Line 6 amp. With out using a Fender acoustic amp, I got a very classical sounding, Yngwie Malmsteen sound.I also used this guitar acousticly much much more than on an amp. It sounds beautiful without an amp. The only problem is that it is not loud when you fingerpick and only you can hear it. I played a show with it and there was no buzzing or ringing or loud open string rings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was amazingly perfect. I didn't have to make any modifications. The action was perfect, the guitar stayed in tune, the bridge was great, the body was EXTREMELY durable. The guitar also looked and felt great. It was black with a fiberglass back and it had a white pinstripe. The neck also had a vertical stripe going up it and was made of maple while the fretboard was made of rose wood. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar sounded great during my live performance at a coffee house. There was no buzz, ringing, or other noise to distract me from putting on a good show. I once tripped, and hit it on the ground like 1 day after I got it, although I was mad, I realized that the body was barely scratched and that the whole guitar was fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I loved this guitar and I wish I still had it today. I will buy another copy of it one day but until then I can tell you to buy this guitar. You WILL NOT be sorry. It really doesn't matter what kind of music you ply, this baby looks, feels and sounds great. The only bad thing is that you have to resist making love to this sexy machine // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014