Dreadnought 12 String Acoustic Review

manufacturer: Gear4Music date: 02/25/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Gear4Music: Dreadnought 12 String Acoustic
This guitar can suit a lot more genres than I expected; blues, jazz, rock, country and pop all sound great with the right settings on the amp and EQ. Lots of variety makes it a very useful instrument.
 8.6
 8.4
 8.7
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Dreadnought 12 String Acoustic Reviewed by: Unossofrus, on february 25, 2014

Features: This is a full size dreadnought bodied 12 string. It has 19 frets on a very wide rosewood fingerboard and pearloid-dot fret markers (up to 15th). The back and sides of the body are Sapele and the top is Spruce laminate. It has a natural finish with a gloss coating and darker brown back, sides and neck. The bridge is dark rosewood and there are colourful inlays around the sound-hole. This guitar is electro-acoustic and so, features a standard 7545R 4-band equaliser with bass, middle, treble and presence control (and obviously volume). The tuning pegs are individually spaced and chrome coloured; an Alan key was provided to adjust the truss rod. These features are well worth the low price. // 10

Sound: My playing style varies greatly, which is why I play so many different instruments but I got this guitar so I could play more country and blues music. I have a Belcat 25C acoustic amplifier with chorus control and the twelve string sounds absolutely fantastic through that. There is almost no audible scratching from the strings when plugged in and the double strings makes a very harmonious sound. This guitar can suit a lot more genres than I expected; blues, jazz, rock, country and pop all sound great with the right settings on the amp and EQ. Even power chords sound awesome on this as you play the same chored in two octaves. Lots of variety makes it a very useful instrument. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar, unfortunately was not set up very well. The action was too low and not all the frets are perfectly level, however the frets were sanded very well. The tuning pegs do not align perfectly and the battery occasionally pops out (an easy fix but still annoying). The finish is very good and the detailing is spectacular but this is let down by the ugly "non-recyclable" symbol on the back of the headstock and the ugly and badly placed scratch-plate (I replaced that immediately), the colour was OK but the tear-drop shape is not my thing, especially when not aligned to the body. You get what you pay for, so to speak. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very heavy and so, should be quite strong. I've only knocked it against my desk once since I've had it and it only has a small chip in the ABS binding. The EQ should last a fair while as I have an instrument with the same EQ that has lasted well over a year. The strap button and tuning pegs are secured very well to the body and should last a very long time. The finish is a very thick coating of gloss so it shouldn't wear off in a hurry. This guitar hasn't failed me yet, and the company thinks it can last a very long time as they sell it with a 4 YEAR WARRANTY. So I'm sure I can safely use this at a gig without a backup (might bring spare strings though). // 9

Overall Impression: I got this guitar as a gift for Christmas last year. It was kind of awkward on the morning when I opened the box to find that the company had SENT THE WRONG GUITAR! I received the cheaper version without the EQ and had to wait for 2 weeks for a replacement. Once replaced, I fell in love with this guitar and I still haven't put it down. I can play any song on this and it will sound good. It is the cheapest electro-acoustic 12 string that I could find but it is so worth the low cost and is probably the best value for money thing I've ever had. it would be replaced immediately if lost or stolen (plus £3.99 for a better scratch-plate). The only thing I wish it didn't have was the "non-recyclable" sticker on the back. // 7

More Gear4Music reviews rating category latest review