Hummingbird Custom KOA Review

8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Hummingbird Custom KOA Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 20, 2010

Purchased from: Gibson Customshop

Features: This guitar was made 2006, hand made by the TOP luthiers in the Gibson Acoustic team. This square shoulder Acoustic is made out of the stunning KOA which can be found in Hawaii if I remember correct. Gold Grover Mother of Pearl Keystone Tuners, hand carved ofcourse! Like the rest of the guitar! It comes with a perfectly fitted hardcase, built like a tank. // 10

Sound: I'm a Jazz, Blues and Indie musician. And this guitar couldn't be better for me. Superior tone, great playability and volume. Sounds like a guitar should. The aesthetics are unmatched. I chose this model over a J-45, Martin D-28, D-35 and D-45. This particular guitar outshown them all in tone and volume. Handles about everything acoustically. Overall the best sounding Acoustic I've ever owned and its an eyecatcher // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said earlier the top builders made this one. Flawless. My black pearl. Everything was made under my demands. There was a minor flaw with the hand painted pickguard. The corner of one of the birds on flight had lost some colour, haha. But I'm not that much intrested in how a guitar looks like. It's how well it sings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should be treated with more love than you would give your wife on your honeymoon. It has a very thin body that needs love. Especially nordic winter time. But without the "thinness" this guitar wouldn't sound like it does. It fits great for live performances unless it involves heavy drinking before you get on stage. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a long period of time. And so far, this is beyond anything I've ever played. Since I went to the factory I got all my questions answered before I ordered this guitar. I couldn't ask for more. This is truly one of Gibsons best works. My favorite feature on this guitar is the KOA. It's so stunning and it sounds so beatiful. If this guitar was stolen... Don't get me started. There is nothing to hate about this guitar. Except for the fact that I treat in every evening with a piece of cloth and dream about it. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014