D-125 Review

8.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
D-125 Reviewed by: Jimmy Chaos, on june 22, 2012

Purchased from: Reidy''s Home of Music

Features: This is my review on my Guild D125 acoustic guitar. It's a 2009 model made in China. It's a dreadnought shape with all solid mahogany construction. The neck is also mahogany and is satin finished - unlike the body which is a high gloss finish. The neck profile is a modern 'c' shape. Very comfortable to play. The factory setup was medium action, which is fine for me. I press down hard anyway. The saddle (Nu Bone) is nice and high, so any adjustments I wish to make later on will be easy. The case that came with the guitar is a TKL case, and is very very nice. Much better than the 'tweed' cases that came with the earlier GAD Guilds. This model replaces the old Guild GAD 25. Which had a few nicer touches to it. Like bone nut & saddle, grover tuners and a one piece neck. Guild have obviously sacrificed these appointments to cut costs. It sucks really, becuase the GAD 25 sold for the same price. I feel like I dind't get the value I would have got from buying a GAD 25. The only thing better with this model is the case, and the new style pickguard which is more faithful to the original Guild pickguard. // 8

Sound: This is a bassy snarling beast. It's very very loud. The guitar came with.12 gauge strings, when strummed it distorted badly. I went down to 11's and this helped a little, then I went down again to 10's and I'm very happy now with the tone of the guitar. Strummed it has a woody, punchy tone with plenty of treble bass and midrange, it's a very open, full sounding guitar. Also individual notes ring out lovely and clear. Much more so than a spruce topped guitar. I play most styles of music and this is a very versatile guitar, it handles it all very very well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was medium. Medium action, a little relief in the neck, a nice high saddle should I want to lower the action. So far I've left it as it is. It's not as easy to play as a taylor, but It works for me so I've left it as is. The finsih of the guitar has no flaws it is a 'high gloss' though and looks kind of 'plasticy' under light. This may not appeal in terms of asthetics, but it doesn't really bother me as the grains in the wood are lovely a. The only minor gripe is the holes in the bridge plate are very slightly off centre. I've marked it down a point because of that, but it's a minor thing that someone less observant may have missed. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been gigging this guitar 8 hours a week and probably playing it around another 2 hours a week rehearsing. It's solid as a rock, very dependable, very very well built the soundhole has re-inforced bracing and also the sides have joining braces which add to the strength, in all the consesions Guild made with the appointments, it seems that the build quality remains the high standard I've witnessed on the GAD range. The tuners are decent, I'm not overly pleased, so will probably switch them to Grovers at some point. // 9

Overall Impression: I play most styles really, Blues, folk, rock, 60's, 90's indie, and original stuff... As I mentioned earlier it's a versatile guitar. I've been playing about 10 years so I knew I liked the mahogany tone before buying, I also like the dreadnought shape for it's versatility. This is my sole acoustic guitar at the moment. In that ~400 price range, it's a very nicely built guitar with a very nice tone. It's not a Martin, but it's a lovely sounding and looking guitar and I've really bonded with it. It's very touch responsive so it can manage light ballards and heavy rock equally well. In it's price range, I believe it's the best option out there. If it was stolen... I'd probably go for the dame again, or look for a used GAD 25. // 9

D-125 Reviewed by: wrw0010, on april 07, 2014

- Finish: Glossy

Neck:

- Number of Frets: 20
- Position Inlays: Pearl Dot
- Fingerboard Radius: 16" (406.4 mm)
- Fretboard: Rosewood
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Finish: Satin
- Nut Width: 1.6875" (42.8 mm)
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)

Hardware:

- Hardware Finish:Chrome
- Bridge: Rosewood Base
- Bridge Pins: Ivory Colored Plastic
- Tuning Machines:Die-Cast
- String Nut: Nu-Bone
- Saddle: Nu-Bone, Compensated
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black

Giving a 10 for features based on price. VERY few all solid wood guitars at this price and no others I've found have better features. // 10

Sound: Bassy with clear top end. Good drive in mid-range. Sound is full even with slightly subdued overtones. Actually a little more complex than I expected from a mahogany top. Great sustain and responsiveness and no rattle or buzz at all. Much louder than some other all hog guitars I've played. Really dark and moody sounding in minor keys but also has enough brightness to handle something a little less brooding. Great for blues and acoustic rock and roll. Good for bluegrass but probably not for lead in a large group. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fairly low for factory set-up. Will require only minor tweaking. All fits seem to be tight and straight. Glossy finish on body looks nice and is smooth. Neck has satin finish that allows for easy movement up and down the neck. Neck joint seems to have a slightly less smooth satin finish and possibly a shade different color. Pick guard has a nice shape but the black is kind of boring. I wish it was dark tortoise shell. Generic looking die cast tuners are decent though I believe this model used to have Grovers which would have been better. Nu-bone nut and saddle are well set and finished and provide nice sustain. Bridge pins are cheap looking and all white. Will likely replace them during set-up. Only has body strap button; no button on neck joint. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems extremely well built. Most of the hardware is of good not great quality but will likely last. Rosewood fretboard and frets are well set. The finish looks very well done and likely to last for years. Came with very nice hard case with a well padded interior. I have no qualms whatsoever about the durability of this guitar. The appointments that are of the poorest quality are the ones most easily replaced and therefore least impactful on long term durability (i.e. bridge pins). // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 28 years. I play everything from Tom Waits to Old Crow Medicine Show to Pearl Jam (mostly flatpick) and this guitar seems to do well with all of them. I will say that I'm not sure it would hold up as lead in a large bluegrass ensemble but easily will cut the mix on a 3 piece (e.g. bass, banjo, guitar). Before buying, I compared this to the Martin D-15M and this actually outperformed it in most styles of playing (fingerpicking the Martin was very slightly better). The grain on the Martin was also less stripey but I actually prefer the look of the Guild. If it was stolen, I would not hesitate to buy it again. I wish it has different bridge pins (a quick fix) and nicer tuners (though the ones it has are fine). I also would have preferred a tortoise shell pick guard.

For the price ~ $525 new, I'm not sure you'll find a better sounding guitar especially not in all solid wood. This guitar is more versatile than some other all mahogany guitars I've played which still maintaining the warm\dark feel of mahogany. If this guitar was $1500, I'd probably give it a 8 but since it is 1/3 that price, I'd say it deserves a 10. // 10

More Guild reviews rating category latest review
+ X-79 Skyhawk 9.4 Electric Guitars 03/14/2014