D-25 Review

manufacturer: Guild date: 10/29/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Guild: D-25
The guitar is all Mahogany with 20 medium sized frets on a rosewood fingerboard. The is finished in a beautiful deep red that you don't see that often on guitars anymore.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
D-25 Reviewed by: DLGuitars, on october 29, 2010

Features: My model was manufactured in 1983, and during this period of time, Guild chose to bowl the back of these guitars to increase amplification and when you play it you can really feel a deep resonance that is a result of that. The guitar is all Mahogany (I am 99.9% sure) with 20 medium sized frets on a rosewood fingerboard. The is finished in a beautiful deep red that you don't see that often on guitars anymore. If you are looking for price, I have seen similar guitars on ebay for 400-600 US dollars. My only problem is that, over the years, the glue holding in the bass bout strap-pin wore out but this is ok for me as I prefer to play sitting down. // 10

Sound: Like I said, thanks to the bowled out back of the guitar you can truly FEEL the sound. The guitar has no electronics but because of the resonance, when miced, it can really fill up a room and thus makes for a great live guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up is great. Everything is properly assembled with hand made qualit and other than the strap-pin, I have had absolutely no problem with any component of the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For me, this guitar has proven its reliability and its durability. The finish has survived kids, dogs, and constant moving. The neck still hasn't bowed for as long as I've owned it. Again the glue wore off at the strap-pins but this is not major and does not affect the sound. I would and have used this guitar live without a backup because of my confidence in its durability. I have been able to rely on this guitar in the past and I am certain that I will be able to rely on it well into the future. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of Acoustic music from blues, rock, gospel with all kinds of techniques from regular strumming to fingerpicking, slapping, and even percussion on the body and I get a warm, resonant and filling sound out this guitar no matter I throw at it. I have been playing for about ten years and was given this guitar around eleven years ago when I was six. My dad has an Ovation and and a number of Taylors that I have full access to but I only choose to play my Guild D25. If this guitar were stolen, I wouldn't settle for a replacement. I would hunt dow whoever stole and get mine back because it has so thoroughly proven itself to me. My overall favorite feature on the guitar is the bowled neck because it gives that extra amplification. In a nutshell you could hand me a $10,000 Martin and I would just put it down to go play my Guild. // 10

More Guild reviews rating category latest review
+ D-125 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 04/07/2014