F-50 Review

manufacturer: Guild date: 04/02/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Guild: F-50
Sound is wonderful. Fit of the guitar is great. Very solid, beautiful woodworking.
 6.6
 5.2
review (1) pictures (5) user comments vote for this gear:
F-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2012

Features: 2008 Tacoma Model "Black" F-50 Traditional Series. - Jumbo - Body Back: Select Arched Laminated Figured Maple Back - Body Sides: Solid Figured Maple Sides - Body Top: Solid AAA Sitka Spruce - Hardware Finish: Gold - Bridge: Ebony - Bridge Pins: Bone Bridge Pins - Tuning Machines: Gotoh SE700 Series Open Back - String Nut: Bone - Saddle: Bone Saddle - Pickguard: Nitrocellulose Lacquer // 7

Sound: Sound is wonderful. Scalloped Red Spruce Bracing, Ebony Headcap with G"-Shield Logo, Dovetail Neck Joint with Slim Heel, Lightweight Laminated Birch Tail-Block, 30' Radius Top, Black/White Striped Rosette with Abalone Center Ring, Natural Mother-of-Pearl and Abalone V-Block Position Inlays, Bound Body, Fingerboard and Headstock, Tortoise Shell Pickguard, Dual Action Truss Rod, Bone Nut, Saddle and Bridge Pins. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is wonderful, finish breaks my heart. Fit of the guitar is great. Very solid, beautiful woodworking. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Very solid build, finish? Strap buttons are rock solid. I'd not hesitate to go without a backup. I think the finish is very hard, but please read the delamination notes. // 5

Overall Impression: My new "black" F-50 (built in Tacoma) was delivered from Twin Village Music, Lancaster N.Y. In mid December of 2011. The guitar played wonderfully and it was love at first strum. Around the first of February (2012) I noticed some finish delamination at the lower bout, near the strap peg. I immediately called Twin Village, and Elderly Instruments of Lansing, Mi. (the closest dealer to my home). Elderly didn't even want to discuss the unit since I didn't purchase it there. Twin Village directed me to Eric DeBarr's guitar hospital (an authorized Guild repair facility). Eric inspected the guitar, and immediately called Guild. It was sent back to them from Eric DeBarr about three weeks later. They still have the guitar and told me a minimum of 90 days to repair/replace. Twin Village told me a refund was "not an option". So here I wait for the great sounding guitar with the finish peeling off to be returned to me, hopefully in better condition than it left. // 3

More Guild reviews rating category latest review
+ D-125 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 04/07/2014