HBD110 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 08/28/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Harley Benton: HBD110
This is one of Harley Benton's cheapest acoustics. It's your typical dreadnought model. For a beginner, this is probably a good instrument to start off with.
 3.1
 6.2
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
HBD110 Reviewed by: BaptizedinFire, on august 28, 2012

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This is one of Harley Benton's cheapest acoustics. It's your typical dreadnought model; a headstock with a fairly forgettable design, rosewood neck with 20 frets, laminated spruce top, chrome tuners and only one strap button (I had another one drilled into the bottom of the neck). It comes in various colours of which I can't mention all, although mine is Natural. The guitar has no electronics. It does look quite nice, it fits well on my wall as decoration. And it has all the features one can demand in a guitar for less than 100 dollars. A hex key is included in the package. // 6

Sound: What can I say? This is a pure campfire guitar. It's fairly simple, comfortable to play and sounds good as long as you stick to the lower registers. As with most cheap guitars, the intonation may leave a bit to be desired when moving far up the neck. Being the dreadnought that it is, the sound is more on the full side rather than bright. And the factory strings were totally fine, which is not very common! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came from the factory with a good set-up. The action is just the way I want it, and all of the screws seem to be firmly in place. The frets are fine too, and I can't really find anything to complain about in this department, so I'll leave it at that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar can withstand many things. Of course, it may be tested throughout a lot of drunken parties and gatherings, so we'll see how well it holds up through that, but right now I'm counting on this guitar. The strap buttons seem solid. I probably wouldn't use this for "real" live shows, but that's not because I think it'll break, but rather that I would simply prefer a more "pristine" sounding guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar suits most acoustic music, from Dylan to Suzanne Vega to Flight Of The Conchords. For a beginner, this is probably a good instrument to start off with. And for those of us who have been playing for some time, it's just cool to have a guitar like this lying around for occasions when you don't really want to use a precious instrument. The only downside that I can think of is that it simply doesn't sound amazing. You know when you're at a guitar store trying out different models, and some of them just blow you away? Well, this is not one of them. But it sounds decent enough, and for a price of less than 70 dollars, this is as good as you can get. Look at it this way: If this guitar can get you laid even once, it's already paid for itself! // 6

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review