HBD120CEBK Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 04/04/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Harley Benton: HBD120CEBK
Harley Benton HBD120CE acoustic guitar -- dreadnought model with cutaway, built-in pick-up system with 4-band EQ, spruce top, catalpa bottom & sides, rosewood fretboard & bridge, cream binding, die-cast machine heads, 43mm neck.
 7.7
 7.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
HBD120CEBK Reviewed by: Doowhop, on april 04, 2008

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I have used this guitar for about a year now, and I'm impressed with how much guitar you can get for so little money. A good Dreadnought guitar, with 6 strings and 22 frets, it comes with a cutaway body and an inbuild pickup system of a 4-band EQ. The top is made of spruce, bottom and sides are catalpa, fretboard and bridge are rosewood, and Die-Cast machine heads complete this model. Can't quite say when or where this instrument was manufactured, but it's rather new and I think it's made in Germany (low transport cost, relatively low price). // 7

Sound: It sounds very nice for a guitar this cheap. When I started playing, I thought I'd have to save my money for a Taylor or Martin, or Takamine to get a considerable Western guitar, but I'm surprised by the rich, bright sound I get when I play my folky, rockish style, as well as the clear transmission of each tone when using lead melody/ accentuating. There's barely any variety, but hey, it's an acoustic guitar. I have used a Behringer 15W amp and a Fender cable, it sounds really good too. But I tend use it without electronics after all. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up is pretty good, it was well-tuned into standard, I could start playing right away. Big yay for that. After playing for about 2-3 months, I think I noticed a little loosening of the strings, which forced me to re-tune. I know now, I have to do this every 2-3 months again. But I consider this rather normal, so the only thing that really bugs me are the constant fingerprints showing on the body. The shiny-gloss finish is an invitation for dust, fingerprints and other crap to settle on the body. I think I'm gonna get a quantity discount for guitar polish and towels at my local music dealer's. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The machine heads do withstand a lot of tuning/adjusting, the strings seem reliable too (except for the loosening part) and I can definitely depend on it. I've used the Guitar for camp fire playing, for "gigs" in church and for composing at home. The finish is durable as it should, but I'm not sure about the strap nobs. They seem to wear down a little, the more I used the guitar to act with the music. But it's still a good instrument. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for any style of playing I suppose. It suits my folk-rock, alternative style pretty well, and I could use it anywhere I went. Because I ordered per Internet, I didn't ask anything, but next time, I'd test-play the guitar anyway before buying. It it was stolen, I'd ironically clap my hands for that bastard Who did, and possibly buy a Takamine or Martin, but for guitar newbies, this might be the best low-price steel string model to start playing with. I'll keep and take good care of it as long as possible, because for the first ever bought-Guitar, I notice the sentimental value that overweighs my intentions to buy a new one. A good piece of Guitar though. Thumbs up for HB on this, overall. // 8

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review