HL44 Review

9.2
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
HL44 Reviewed by: AC/DCnut, on january 20, 2009

Purchased from: Roadhouse Music Store

Features: I have no information as far as the year and place it was made go. It features a smooth laminated top. I have no idea about the woods that are used. It seems to chip quite easily though so it's obviously some kind of softwood. The body is a Dreadnought as you can see. No electronics on it of any sort. No idea abut the brand of tuners. Came with a case that has lasted for 5 years. Included a set of unbranded free strings and a learn to play VHS. // 5

Sound: I don't use it often to be honest, I play mostly classic rock and metal so I only use it for the occaasional song such as "Hero of War" by Rise Against or "Through Glass" by Stone Sour. I do occasionaly use it for bits of songs like the intro to "Paradise City" purely because it sounds good. And that's just it, this guitar sounds great. It didn't used but ever since I put a hole in the body where I was intending to put a strap button it sounds awesome. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Pretty good factory setup I have to say. I didn't even have to tune it, the strings are great, not one of them has snapped in 5 years of hard playing. Nothing on it has broken in 5 years. There is a mosaic style ring around the sound hole. It's really hard to describe and I can't get pics on here. The pic is from the internet, mine is just a natural wood colour, if you really want photos though then I can send some to you. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It probably would withstand a live concert if you just sat down with it, it's not electric though so you'd need a microphone to play Live. No strap buttons. The finish hasn't worn off at all, apart from a few scratches. I don't think that the scatches are to do with the finish though I think that the scatches are more related to the softness of the wood. // 4

Overall Impression: It's the only acoustic guitar I own but I have played others and a big difference is that this guitar is very light compared to other normal acoustics. If it were stolen then I would find the guy Who did, take it back and lock him in a room with another man in a pac-man costume until he went insane, oh yeah. The best bit is that it sounds cool. I just wish that I cold plug it into my amp. // 5

HL44 Reviewed by: Woffelz, on may 11, 2011

Purchased from: Argos

Features: I got this cheap guitar for my birthday in 2007. It has 21 frets and a laminated top. Since I cannot find any specifications for the guitar online, I would assume that this guitar is made of cheap woods [probably spruce]. This guitar was made in 2006 and has no cutaway. This guitar also came with an unknown brand set of spare strings and a tuition DVD. // 7

Sound: I intended to learn classical guitar on it, but never got round to doing so. The nylon strings provide a warm tone which are pleasing to the ear. Sometimes, I like to grab a pick and play the Acoustic guitar part in "Master Of Puppets" and it fits it so well. Great sound for a 50 guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: For a classical guitar, I find the action to be just right - no strig buzz. Unfortunately, the intonation was out a bit and I still haven't corrected it, even though I've had this guitar for 4 years. As this is a beginner guitar, adjusting the intonation would be a very difficult and demanding task. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar could withstand live playing without a backup. I've had it for 4 years and it hasn't broken. The wood in the body does feel fragile. Over the years, lots of chips in the wood have appeared. The finish hasn't worn away though [not including where the wood has chipped off], so I am sitting on the fence for durablity. // 6

Overall Impression: At the time, I wanted to learn classical and this guitar definitely suited it. I've been playing for over 4 years and I also own an Ibanez RG120, a Stagg L320, a cheap Gear4Music Electric-ST and a Roland Cube 15X. The woods on most of these electric guitars are more durable, so I'm not that impressed with the HL44. If this guitar was stolen, I would maybe buy a higher quality classical guitar that is more durable. The durability and the factory set-up was the weak points of this guitar, but sound and value for money make up for it. // 7

HL44 Reviewed by: tahirhh, on june 02, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Bought this guitar off ebay a couple of months ago to try and get into some classical and Spanish playing. Came with nylon strings. Not much I can say on materials as I can't find out what its made of anywhere on the web but they seem very cheap. It has like a vinyl pattern on the top around the sound hole which looks nice. The bridge, saddle tuning pegs are all plastic. No fret markers on the fingerboard but there are some on the side of the neck. It looks nice but feels cheap. // 4

Sound: It has a very nice deep tone to it, sounds very nice when playing Spanish or flamenco stuff, the sound is also quite loud. It sounds too mucky for playing rock. No fret buzz when I bought it and still almost none even after I lowered the action. Unfortunately the intonation is quite poor and it sounds out of tune if, for example playing with a capo the 7th fret and playing open chords and high notes sound fairly dull. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar the action was way too high and playability was an issue as well. I lowered the action by filing the saddle and nut but it still feels a little too high for my liking. Playability is still an issue when playing barre chords and such. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is easily dented probably down to the cheap materials used but you wouldn't really expect much better for the price. There are no strap buttons which is a real let down. It would probably last you a good couple of years though if you stayed with it. // 4

Overall Impression: To be honest its more than I expected for the money and has a nice deep sound. I wouldn't really recommend it for a beginner though as its not very playable and you'd probably get bored and give up so I'd recommend spending a little more money and buying something that will last you longer. Its a nice bit of fun though for playing in the garden or at a picnic and you wont be worrying if you dent or lose it. // 5

More Herald reviews rating category latest review
+ MG104N 7 Acoustic Guitars 12/22/2010