MG104N Review

7.1
reviews (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
MG104N Reviewed by: NeekaTodd, on december 22, 2010

Purchased from: Argos

Features: This guitar has 18 frets and a glossy finish. Unsure of the wood it is made from but it looks good. Didn't come with accessories when I got it, but that may have changed now. // 8

Sound: Works perfectly for Acoustic versions and classical songs. As it is a Spanish style Acoustic it doesn't do rock too well, but it sounds just fine if you are practicing to then move onto an electric for recording/playing live. Doesn't plug into an amp as it's not an electro-acoustic guitar but has an excellent sound nevertheless. Loud and clear. No buzz or rust on strings even after the 10+ years I've had it and I've never changed them. I've never tried to record from it so I can't comment on how it fares with that but I'd imagine with the right equipment it would be fine. Has a nice tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was excellent. It's never had to be adjusted. The only flaw is an unfinished bit on one of the machine heads but that could easily be filed off if you wanted that perfect finish. Pretty standard looking Acoustic with a pattern around the sound hole. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It probably would not be a good idea to play with this guitar live as there is obviously no way to plug it into an amp. However if you were playing for a small group then it would do the job. Doesn't come with any strap buttons but it was easy enough to add some on with general DIY tools and if I (with no knowledge of guitars at this point) can do it anyone can! The wood did not chip or crack when we added the strap button and has not shown any signs of damage since. It's a fairly sturdy guitar, having been dropped countless times and transported in the boot of our car with no case. The finish is chipped and worn in places but this is mainly due to the fact I was a careless child and dropped the thing all the time. It is still looking pretty great for it's age though. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great beginners guitar due to its cost and sound. It is very lightweight and can be played standing or sitting. I still go back to it to play despite having three other guitars which are all generally better. If it was stolen or lost I might look into getting a more professional Acoustic or even an electro-acoustic as I am no longer a beginner. However since it's pretty cheap it could be a decent backup to have around. The only thing that would have made it better was if there was strap buttons already on it but it was no problem financially or skills-wise to do this myself. // 9

MG104N Reviewed by: Crash91, on july 22, 2006

Sound: If you looking for your first ever guitar, do not buy this one, because it's probably the worst guitar you'll ever see. You cannot plug it into an amplifier, and the sound is horrific. The D string gets very rusty in no time. It is very noisy and annoying, especially if it's out of tune and the strings are rusty. I can't believe I bought this as my first guitar, well, to be honest, I knew nothing about guitars before I bought this. However, it does suit my music style, because I love playing acoustic songs on it, especially by Oasis and it doesn't sound bad, but it don't sound great. My other music style is rock, but it sounds awful playing rock songs. But if you wish to play different music styles, don't bother. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up well at the factory. There was no flaws with the guitar whatsoever except that the strings go rusty quickly, especially the D string. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can never play live with this guitar, because you cannot plug it into an amplifier. There are no strap buttons either and it would be very awkward to play live with this guitar. Despite the finish is wood, it don't last very long, because my guitar fell of my bed one day and the fretboard almost came off. I had this guitar for over four years now, and I just cannot depend on this guitar no more. // 2

Overall Impression: Before I had a electric guitar and a bass guitar, I normally played rock music rather than acoustic music. I actually used power chords and it sounds dreadful on this guitar. Using barre chords sounds completely awful. I wished this guitar could be able to plug into an amp and have a strap holder, so I could use this for playing Oasis songs in performances. What I liked about this guitar was that it helped me a lot with learning basic skills on the guitar. What I hated about this guitar was that the wood doesn't last very long and it sounds awful. If this guitar got stolen/lost (Who would steal it), I would buy a much better acoustic guitar. To end this review, if you are interested in buying your first ever guitar, avoid buying the Herald MG104N. // 3

More Herald reviews rating category latest review
+ HL44 7.5 Acoustic Guitars 06/02/2011