HF-12 Review

review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
HF-12 Reviewed by: Akula KO, on may 21, 2012

Price paid: € 242

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I'm not sure when the guitar was made but it certainly was a recent creation. It was, according to the official Hfner website, handmade in Germany and the label inside the guitar say that too. It has 19 frets though only 18 usable ones as the sound-hole cuts into the 19th fret a bit. It is a solid matte spruce top with annegre/aningre back and sides. It doesn't have any electronics but those can be added separately later. The tuners are gold plated with pearloid buttons. No accessories came with the guitar though the cardboard case it came in did include a handle for transport if you didn't buy a case separately. // 9

Sound: The sound is great I think. I looked up a lot of reviews on youtube and the sound you hear there is very accurate to what you get. My impression of this guitar is that it is very generic but I mean that in a good way. I think this guitar is very versatile and can be used for playing any type of classical guitar music with a good result. However if you specifically wanted flamenco/classical Spanish guitar sound then I would pick another guitar, perhaps with a Cedar top. I have no set style and I like to experiment with various types of classical music so I picked this guitar because to me it is a jack-of-all-trades rather than being a master of one. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is solid. It is German made after all! The action is higher than it stated on the official website though: it stated 4mm but it's 6mm. Sure its just a little but it still feels a bit high for me. I will most likely sand down the bridge a bit. Besides that the tuners, bridge, nut, strings, finish were all perfect. The wood was not scratched or flawed in any way I could see. It also smelled very nice, a very natural woody smell which was a plus to me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes it would play okay live but since it has no pickup system it would have to be played in a small room only to really appreciate the sound it makes. There's no strap buttons but a classical guitar is played seated though if you tucked it under your arm you could probably play it standing up. The gear on the guitar is solid. Again, German quality! // 10

Overall Impression: When I pick up this guitar then I like playing "medieval" songs like "Greensleeves", "Herr Mannelig", things like that. I also enjoy playing the acoustic music of Bathory, In Extremo, Finntroll and other Folk Metal bands. I admit that electric guitar is my thing so my experience with classical guitar is limited but I do know what to look for in a guitar before buying it. Like I said it's an all-rounder so it's good to get if you're not sure what type of music you like most. Were it lost/stolen I would buy it again or I would get a Manuel Rodriguez C1 Spruce Top, also a good guitar I feel. I compared it to other products of course but the sounds I heard on reviews and the fact it was made in Germany was enough to convince me to get it. The only negative is the circle pattern around the sound-hole: it's not very original/pretty but you can't see it when playing so hey, that's the audience's problem. // 10

More Hofner reviews rating category latest review
+ Verythin CT 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014