HW200 Review

7.3
 6.3
reviews (5) user comments vote for this gear:
HW200 Reviewed by: kablam007, on september 16, 2004

Features: The Hohner HW200 six-string acoustic offers proffesional grade tone for a reasonalble price. This particular model has only 18 frets, making it perfect for beginners. The neck, sides, and bottom are made from a dark mahogany while the top is made of a natural-colored, solid spruce. Hohner HW200 also includes a hardwood fingerboard and an adjustable tension rod. // 8

Sound: The Hohner HW200 really helped me get into acoustic guitar playing. Prior to my purchase of the product, I was strictly an electric player. This guitar, however, offered me a full, rich sound that produced bright and open notes and chords that an electric could not produce. If you have seen bands like Phish on stage, who are typically acoustic, then you are familiar with what a rich hardwood reverb tone on the open stage should sound like. My only dislike was the 18 fret limitation. However, this guitar was sold at a good price and is great for those of you just getting into the acoustic scene or just learning guitar. I had alot of success with this guitar when playing songs off of Nirvana's Live In New York album. Because it is not an acoustic/electric the user may want to consider a different guitar for live, on-stage playing. In short, this product is simple yet effective. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well put together from what I can see. The pickups are in alignment and so far I have not had to perform any maitenence on it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The fretboard may wear slightly after a couple of years if you play all the time like myself. There is only one strap button at the bottom which means you will have to tie one end of the strap behind the first fret. But don't let that bother you because this product comes with the strap and the lace. A 5-year old could figure it out. Overall, the finish will last for a good while and the guitar will be able to sustain quite a bit of rough-housing or neglect that a younger beginner player might instill upon it. I have also found that this guitar will stay pretty much in tune even if you toss it around a bit. // 6

Overall Impression: I began as an electric guitar player who was into punk rock when I was youger. Then I matured a bit and got really into Jimi Hendrix's style of playing and BB King. Now, I play some mainstream stuff just for kicks but I am more serious about jazz and some blues. Though I learned how to play guitar on an electric, I think I would have been better off learning with the HW200 acoustic because of its great tone quality. I have a better ear for tuning nowadays, but when I began with an electric I was always a little off. This acoustic guitar is perfect for those who want to enter the wonderful world of guitar playing. I taught myself to play guitar, but I have, over the years, spoken with guitar teachers who thought I should have bought a product like this one back when I was a beginner. Eventually, when I needed an acoustic to take with me to college, I bought this and was very impressed. It was pretty nice for a descent price. This is a good stepping stone guitar on the road to more mature guitar playing. // 8

HW200 Reviewed by: Heaviest Thing, on july 25, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Store

Features: This is just a simple strait down to the bridge acoustic guitar. Great for beginners of all ages and even intermediate players short on cash. I honestley think this is a great guitar. Just simple so easy to play not even funny. This is a guitar made with maple tap and mahogany sides and neck. This guitar doesn't lose its tuning very easy and is just well built. Its 18 fret neck is good for begginers. The only thing theats bad is that only 12 frets are easy to get to the rest you have to make a stretch. // 8

Sound: This is a good guitar for the rock acoustic stuff I play and the blues I play with my teacher. It has a really good sound espically for its price it's mind boggeling. But the sound is very good but not loud enough due to the fact that it's not a dreadnought. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a very good guitar but when I bought it the strings were to hard to play then I bought some medium gauge strings still the same problem so I sent it back to the factory and they sent a good brand new one to me so it worked out really good. The only thing now is that it only has one button for your strap so I suggest either putting one in ar tie the strap at the neck. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a great duarable guitar its takin' even getting hit bye a sealing fan and staying in tune (but there were few nicks). But it's been takin' to alot of places and its lasted me awhile so I'm happy with it and I would deffintley gig with it but as I said earlier its not loud enough but I can deal with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is deffinantley worth picking up and playing it if you can find it. I like it so I hope you would pick it up and play it just to be open with certain brands the are name brand like Martin or Ovation. If it were stolen I would deffinantley be pist and beat the crap out of whoever stole it. // 8

HW200 Reviewed by: since51592, on may 05, 2008

Features: The HW200 was made in China, I'm not sure when it was made. It is an 18 fret dreadnought. The body cuts it off at the 12th. The frets are a little small for my taste. The appearance of the guitar is nice. Glossy finish with a black finish line around the body, and the back of the guitar is a darker color. there's a nice sticker inside the body that has the company signature. The tuners are kind of cheap. When I restrung the guitar the little white decorative circles fell off. there's no top peg for a strap so, you have to tie it around the neck. I bought the guitar by itself so, it didn't come with any accessories. // 8

Sound: This guitar was my first guitar, so it sounded good when I first played it, but when I played some my friend's other guitar it just put the Hohner to shame. This is not to say HW200 is crap, it's just not anything special. I usually play acoustic versions of alternative, or classic rock and such on this guitar. After playing this guitar for about a year, the sound is quite dull to my ear. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the strings on this guitar is awful. I don't know if it was a fluke out of the factory or somthing, but you need to put a lot of pressure on these strings. Other owners have sent this guitar back to get it readjusted. It's nearly impossible for me to play any kind of barre chord clean. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would never play this guitar Live, it's more for beginners. Even at that, the action is obsurd, and would throw off even beginners. This guitar is really solid on the other hand. I've been real rough with it and it's not going to break or anything anytime soon. But the finish chips real easy, especially on the edges and on the fretboard. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar was the guitar I learned on about a year ago. I went through a lot of uneeded frustration dealing with the difficult strings. Unfortunatley, this is my only acoustic at the time. Before buying this, I should have had someone play it for me, since I didn't know how to. The strings would have definitely dealt with then and there. If I lost this guitar I could care less. I would actually love to stuff it with dynamite just for the heck of it. The only thing I like about this guitar it that sentimental value of it being my first guitar, everything else is mediocre or sub-par. If you are thinking about getting this as a first or beginner guitar, get somthing higher quality please. // 6

HW200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2009

Purchased from: hobner store, kolkata

Features: My model is the Hobner h-265. Its a f-hole guitar, was made in kolkata in the year 2002. It has got 22 standard frets, a thin neck, maple with rosewood fretboard. Solid top. The body is made of ashwood, with a satin fnish(although a flamed finish is optional). it is a cutaway body, very comfortable when the guitarist is sitting, but very uncomfy when you're gonna stand up and do gigs, because it is almost 4 inches thick. it is a normal fixed bridged guitar. there is no intenal pickup. the tuners are non locking. all in all its a very simple guitar and very good for begginers. // 5

Sound: the steel strings have a nice effect. It is best for playing rhythm and blues. After I had fixed a pickup I was initially using a cube Stranger 20 watt amp, but later I moved on to 40 watt. the sound(without an amp) is hollow and very deep. The guitar in the hands of an expert is very versatile but in the hands of a novice, it is very noisy. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: the action is beautiful, best for singing at home. The guitar was tough but eventually the satin finish was scratched. The external pick-ups where a bit shaky. The bridge position was very good. The only flaws I notices was that after a few weeks, the turning pegs became very loose. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Frankly, the guitar was never meant for gigs. its a basic guitar meant for beginners. the hardware was a tad bit off-balance. The strap buttons were solid and are likely to stay in position. If someone want to do a gig, it is advisable to have a back-up or make it a back-up.the finish did last for long, but eventually it started to wear off. // 6

Overall Impression: It was my first guitar and it proved to be a wonderful companian. I have been playing it for 5 years and I learnt tough riffs and leads on it. Apart from it I own an Epiphone les paul. I wish I had saved a bit more and bought a Takamine but still I should have asked for a better bridge. I love the hollow and deep sound it produces without an amp, but the most irritating thing is that it tends to get out of tune very frequently. My fav feature is the tough truss rod, it never got a hard touch for all those years. I didn't have the chance to compare it with other products, I got it immidiately. The most important thing which was missing was the pick-up. // 7

HW200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2010

Features: Eighteen medium sized frets, not entirely sure of woods are finishes. I've been told what it was, but I have a few doubts. No electronics, just a basic acoustic. Relatively small size, good for beginners. I give it a five in this area because I don't know much about it (I bought it second hand), and I don't know much about Acoustic guitars. // 5

Sound: The tone is surprisingly good for such a cheap guitar. A nice rich sound. I've compared it with my friend Adam's guitar, and with a thousand dollar Taylor. It blew my friend's guitar out of the water (But that is not saying much) and held up nicely to the Taylor (Though, I can't say it was equal). Two complaints: The trebles never sound spot on, always just close. Second, there's only one strap button. You have to tie the strap to the headstock, just above the nut. You'll figure it out. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It's never been adjusted, other than a string change or two. There are no flaws mentionable. Apparently I need a bunch more characters then what was in my first sentence, so I'll tell you about turtles. Turtles are wonderful reptiles, and I'm sure they would pick this guitar. It'd suit their needs well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The original owner took good care of it, and obviously didn't use it much. It's stood up pretty well to my year and a half of abuse, including dropping it numerous times, knocking it against things, and it being kicked. The only damage that's been done to it is some chipping of the finish around the edges, and the strap button broke in half. Nothing to cry about. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a diverse style of music. A smattering of punk, some Beatles and pretty much everything in between. Really, the only styles of music this couldn't match is when you need an electric guitar. I've been playing for nearly one and a half years. This was my first guitar. If it were stolen, I'd probably try to get it back. One thing I HATE is there's only access to twelve of the eighteen frets. I wish it had a cut-away. I did not pick this guitar, it was a gift. But it's perfect for a beginner. // 8

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013