HW300 Review

8.7
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
HW300 Reviewed by: Brojo, on february 24, 2007

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

Features: This is a Hohner HW300 dreadnought acoutstic guitar. It is constucted with a mahogany back and sides as well as a select mahogany solid top. The neck is also made of mahogany with a 20 fret rosewood fretboard. It also has a feature rarely seen on lower model acoustics, the nut and saddle are made of Nubone, which from what I have read about it man made ivory that adds to the overall tone of the guitar. It also has a pinless bridge system which allows you to replace strings without having to worry about bridge pins. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classical rock to metal (more classical on this guitar) and the guitar couldnt be more suited for it. The Nubone adds a great resonant tone to the guitar. Overall soundwise this guitar is a great beginner to intermediate guitar, It happens to be my second and I've been playing for about 2 years. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was pretty much perfect. I got the transparent black finish, there were no factory flaws in the finish what'soever. The strings that came on it were D'addario players choice and they were somewhat oxidized so I changed them to Dean Markley blue steel strings and they've been perfect. The action was one of the lowest I've seen on a guitar with this low of a price. The neck was also a suprise because it didn't have a thick neck, it was very slim like an electric guitar. Overall a great fit and finish // 10

Reliability & Durability: I do believe this guitar would withstand Live playing, at the moment I have yet to perform Live, but during practices with my band it holds up without a problem. The hardware thusfar have proven itself nicely and does not show any signs of breakage or extreme wear. The only problem I have with the guitar is that it has only one strap button on the bottom of the body (I don't like having to tie my strap above the nut) and the button is made of plastic. Both problems are easily fixable with a screwriver, a drill, a small bit and steady hands. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for my classical rock playing and I would definately recommend it to any beginner or someone looking for their second acoustic. If I lost this guitar I would definately buy it again. Overall the features are wonderful and you can't beat the price. // 10

HW300 Reviewed by: MANSKIRT-MAN138, on march 03, 2005

Features: This is a steel string dreadnought. The finish on mine is transparent black, though several other finishes are availavle. There were no obvious blemishes. The 20 frets are set in a rosewood fingerboard. The neck contains an adjustable truss rod, which is accessable through the sound hole. The guitar has a solid top made of mahogany. The back, sides, and neck are also made of mahogany. Enclosed chrome tuners are very smooth turning, yet resistant to accidental change; this guitar keeps its tuning once the strings are streched, unless you change it on purpose. There is only one strap button located at the bottom of the guitar's body, but you can either install your own second button or just tie the top of your strap infront of the first fret. This is not a big deal. All in all its a basic guitar that is exellent for beginners and is perfectly suitable for more advanced players, though some may want to upgrade to something a little more advanced. // 10

Sound: I mostly play Folk and punk, and this guitar suits me perfectly. I play at small open mics at my school and surrounding community and even un-amplified this guitar is more than loud enough to be heard at the back of the audiance. The sound is very good, rich lows and bright highs. Chords ring true, as do single notes struck. It's a good guitar for rhythm or lead. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: If there is one part of the guitar that needs improvement its the action. It is very high. Though it is possible to adjust the truss rod to lower the action, you loose volume in doing so. After playing with such high action for a while you get used to it and it does a great job of developing calluses. Once you can play this guitar without buzzes you can play just about anything. Aside from the action the rest of the fit and finish was exellent. There are no blemishes to the finish. The frets have no burrs and don't buzz so long as you press down hard enough. The wood is very good, as is the hardware. The only reason this category gets a 3 is because of the action. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is tough as nails. Have no fear playing this guitar live. The strap button is solid, and my strap has never fallen off. I've dropped this guitar a bunch of times, and it has never detuned. All that's happened from the abuse I've put it through is a smallish blemish to the finish on the back of the body, which was easily buffed out. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', easily a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This is perfect for punk and Folk playing, people who want to play anything fast on an acoustic should look else where, the action makes it difficult to play anything technical. Though the durability, and tone are exellent. I recomend this guitar to any beginner, especially since the you're getting a great deal for the price paid. // 8

HW300 Reviewed by: S1dewinder, on january 17, 2006

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: This guitar has a dreadnought body, mahogany neck and body, a rosewood neck, enclosed tuners, 20 frets, and is available in many colors, mostly transparent. The location in which it is made is not noted. The year is also not noted, but is most likely sometime after 2003. // 9

Sound: With the strings I have on it now (Ernie Ball Earthwood Lights), I get a nice rock/blues sound out of it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had no flaws when I purchased it. It was set up very well for the price they charge for it. I have seen guitars for the same price that are not nearly as nice as this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can easily withstand live playing. The hardware seems like it will last for as long as I own it. The bottom strap button is made out of plastic, which is one of the things that I dislike about it. I would still use it at a gig without a backup, because I would trust this instrument that much. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and a little bit of blues on guitar, and this acoustic fits me for just being a beginner. I have only been playing about a year, and I only own a Squier bass and a Peavey TNT 100 bass amp. This guitar will probably last me for a long time, probably until I need an acoustic/electric. If I ever lost it, I would probably end up buying the same guitar again. It is just that good. The only problem I have with it is the plastic strap button, but I can see about replacing that. If you are a beginner guitar looking to buy an acoustic for yourself, or if you are looking to buy a guitar for another beginner, this is the way to go. // 9

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013