AC2040-OPN Review

Ibanez: AC2040-OPN
reviews (2) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
AC2040-OPN Reviewed by: chadbo, on january 22, 2013

Purchased from: Tundra Music, Toronto, Canada

Features: The Artwood AC2040-OPN is an acoustic guitar from Ibanez that is made in China. I am not sure when the guitar I have was made. However, there was a tag on the headstock when I opened it that said, "inspected by Bill July 2012," so I am going to say it was made in 2012. This guitar is made of all solid wood. The top, back, sides, and neck are made from solid mahogany. The fingerboard and bridge are made from rosewood. The bridge pins are the Ibanez Advantage II black plastic. The saddle and nut are made from bone. It came pre-strung with D'Addario EXP light gauge phosphor bronze strings. The details of the guitar are very nice. There is an abalone rosette, black binding with a thin white line detail on it, and abalone fingerboard dots. The guitar also comes with gold colored grover rotomatics. The strap buttons are gold colored and they are located at the bottom of the guitar where the neck meets the body, and at the bottom of the body. The finish on the guitar is done with open pore style. It feels like it has just been stained. You can run your fingers across it and you can feel all of the grains of the wood. I like it. I am not a big fan of a glossy finish. // 9

Sound: The guitar has a mahogany top so right off the bat, it's automatically is going to have a different sound than any spruce top guitar. You have to be looking for a guitar with a bluesy/rock tone when searching for a guitar with a mahogany top in order to appreciate them. It is a grand Concert design which gives it a lot of lower end sound and a real punchy mid-range sound. The top end isn't there. However, since I have purchased it, I have put some 80/20 Bronze strings on it, and that has really opened up the top end sound. All of the trebles are there now. Being a Grand Concert shape I was expecting it to sound great finger picking, and it does. I tried strumming it like a dreadnought, and it shocked me when it sounded fantastic! I have never heard a Grand Concert guitar sound great strummed. Usually they sound over-powered when strummed hard, but not this guitar. It seems to really "sing" when strummed hard, and never gets over powered! It will get every bit as loud as a sitka topped dreadnought! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action right out of the box was really low. It played fantastic. I tuned the guitar down a 1/2 step to play some grunge music, and the strings began to buzz on the frets. I have since then raised the action just slightly with adjusting the truss rod and no more buzzing on the frets when tuned down, and the action is still pretty low when tuned standard. The guitar appears to be well built. I can't find a finish flaw at all on it. The best part of the guitar is the neck. Every Ibanez guitar, acoustic or electric, I have ever played has had a nice neck that allows for fast Chord changes and doesn't slow you down at all when moving up and down the fingerboard. The best way I can describe it, "It plays as smooth as butter!" // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am not sure if this guitar would hold up to a lot of traveling and moving around. The guitar has an open pore finish when makes it a target for scratches. Personally, I wouldn't let anybody else touch this guitar without inspecting the length of their fingernails and if they have a belt buckle or anything else on them that may sratch this baby! I could be overprotective, but this guitar is may baby, and I don't want someone hurting it. LOL! If anybody is going to ding it up, it's going to be me! The guitar seems well built, but the type of finish on it scares me sometimes. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that this axe is GREAT! The sound is fantastic! It has a lot of mid-range and bass, and with the 80/20 bronze strings it now has a nice touch of top end tone added to it's sound. If this guitar was lost or stolen I would be heartbroken! I had to import the guitar from Canada because this particular model isn't sold in the USA for some reason. It took 2 months to get it in my hands here in North Carolina. I would definitely by another one, but this time, I will Drive to Canada or Mexico and just buy it in person so I don't have to wait so long to get it! Ibanez hit a home run on this guitar! I have played many all mahogany guitars before purchasing this one, and this guitar would hold it's own next to a Martin 000-15. I took a risk in buying this guitar without playing it, but it sounds great. I did play this guitar's cousin which is the AC240-OPN before. It has the solid top, but laminate everywhere else, and it sounded fine, so that led me to believe that the AC2040-OPN with all solid wood would sound at least as good as the AC240-OPN. I was impressed on how much better the all solid wood guitar sounded compared to the one with the laminate back and sides. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014