AEG8E Review

8.9
 6.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
AEG8E Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2008

Features: My acoustic-electric guitar is an Ibanez AEG8E with the natural finish. I think it was made in china in 2006. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard and mahogany neck. It has a laminated spruce top with agathis sides and back. it has a thinline cutaway body style with an active Ibanez under saddle pickup. It also has an Ibanez SPT preamp and chrome Ibanez smooth Tuner AS which are non-locking. It came with the manual, a wrench for adjusting the neck, and a cable. // 10

Sound: My music style is mainly acoustics with church and worship songs. It suits my music style very well because it sounds great plugged or unplugged. I put it through a Marshall MG50DFX and the clean just sounds great! It has very minimal feedbacks except when the volume is up so high and I am very close to the amp. The preamp does the job very well, I can make the setting with more bass than treble for a heavier sound or vice versa for a bright, clean sound. The guitar can do harmonics very well and also some pinch harmonics. It is very good for both strumming, picking, and plucking. Even if you strum too hard, it would still sound good. You will only get some fret buzz if your action is too low. It has a very good sound for it's price and its thinline design. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up very well. No flaws, no scratches, no dents, it was very smooth. The action was set-up a bit high so the people in the store had to adjust it but it was not a problem, I only wanted the action to be a bit lower. I've got no problems with how the pickups were adjusted. The fretwire were in very good condition! Smoothly filed and constant althoughout the neck. Controls wer also stable. Everything about the finish to every detail were done very good. The stock strings were Di'Marzios when I bought it, I just replaced them later after they rusted. All in all, good quality materials were used. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It definitely withstood Live playing! I carry this guitar in church and use it almost every week and I plug it in their amp, an Ibanez TBX65. The guitar sounds great! And it never broke down on me. I've had this for almost a year now and nothing seems to have changed from the time I bought it. Only some minor scratches and dents due to a few bumps. It's gloss is still with it, you only have to wipe it after every use to maintain it's gloss. I can absolutely depend on this guitar. I have several acoustic guitars but I only bring this one when I play in church or have gigs. The finish is not thin, it will definitely last when taken good care of. But a hard bump on it will somehow dent the finish and put a scratch on the guitar. Lot's of playing wouldn't be enough to make the finish wear off. I play this thing around 3-4 hours everyday! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good match for my style of music: blues, jazz, mellow and soft music, some pluckings, hard stummings, or even alternatives and drop D tunings! By the way, the tuners hold the strings pretty tough. I rarely make adjustments in the tuners because the strings stay perfectly in tune even after some time of playing! I have had this for almost a year. If it were stolen/lost, I'd definitely go for another one! this is really worth the price! I compared it to some Peavey, Yamaha cpx and apx series, and other Ibanez acoustics and it beats them all! Especially with the workmanship quality and price! I only wish the headstock had a lining so it would look cooler! also a pick guard would be nice. Other than that, it is a fantastic acoustic-electric guitar for the price. // 10

AEG8E Reviewed by: PrimitiveGuitar, on february 16, 2012

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Music Mania

Features: I Brought this years ago as my second ever guitar when I started to play a lot more. I can't remember the exact year I brought it but it was around 2008-2009 so it will have be made sometime around then as well. - Made in China - 21 frets - Ibanez SPT Preamp - Ibanez SPT preamp with 3-band tone control with shape control and a built-in tuner. - Balanced XLR & 1/4" Outputs - Powered by AA batteries - AEG Body shape - Mahogany Neck - Rosewood Bridge & Fretboard - Pickup: Ibanez Under Saddle Pickup - Tuning Machine: Chrome Ibanez Smooth Tuner (non locking) - Nut & Saddles: Ibanez Ivorex II - Bridge Pins: Ibanez Advantage Bridge Pins - Strap Button: Ibanez Strap Button for Acoustic Guitars I really like the features on this guitar, especially the cutaway on the AEG, it makes it very easy to play the higher frets which can sometimes be a challenge on acoustics. I also like the pre-amp on this guitar as I like the control of your sound with the tone and shape controls, built in tuner is also very useful. // 8

Sound: Before this guitar the only other steel string I had every heard live was my dads Martin dreadnought (amazing guitar). For the sound of my acoustics I have always used his Martin as a basis of what I want my acoustics to sound like. Compared to the Martin the Ibanez has a very trebley tone with lots of highs and mids. Tone does lacks a lot of bass which almost makes it sound a bit dull. When the guitar is plugged in (I only ever played it through the jack input) it has a very crisp bright tone and the bass can be pushed up using the EQ. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on the guitar was reasonably good. The finish is real nice and looks real good with the binding, so no problems with that. However the action was quite bad and I had to get the bridge piece sanded down, which can be a bit of a mission. The only problem I have with the finish (if it can be considered that) is that the nut has become discoloured. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would play this live, the batteries last for ages, unless you leave the tuner on of course. Finish and wood are real good and take quite a beating before they get damaged. The tuning pegs hold the tuning real well, the only string that really goes out is the G string. The strap buttons are real solid and I have never needed to tighten them. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, classical, jazz and a range of other stuff on this guitar and its good for most of it, just that one problem with the tone sounding really dull and bass-less. I own many other guitars, mostly electrics, but this remains my only steel string guitar as I am happy with how it plays and don't mind the sound too much. If I lost this or it got stolen I would probably get a different guitar that sounded a bit better and probably wouldn't get an electric acoustic. Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, rate and ask questions! // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ SAS32EX 8.6 Electric Guitars 10/20/2014