IJV50 Jumpstart Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/26/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ibanez: IJV50 Jumpstart
This special Jam Pack Quick Start package comes with everything you need. The Ibanez V50 acoustic guitar in the package features a spruce top for excellent tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 8.1
 8.7
 7.5
reviews (3) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
IJV50 Jumpstart Reviewed by: metaldud536, on december 23, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I got this guitar as a Christmas present in 2005. It has 20-21 frets (the 21st one doesn't count since you can't really fret it). It has a laminated top. The body is made of Agathis and the neck from rosewood. It has a natural looking finish and the back has a dark red color. The body style is that of a dreadnought. It comes with a gig bag, a strap, a tuner, a smaller bag, a set of medium picks (.71mm), and some tools and a couple of replacement parts. Also comes with a DVD which features Paul Gilbert. You get the DVD online though. // 9

Sound: I like metal, but an acoustic is a great way to get started. So I can't really give this a bad rating. It sounds like an acoustic should sound and for what it costs now $99, it sounds pretty good. There is no fret buzz or anything. Replace the strings with some Martin Phosphor Bronze lights (.012s) and you have a keeper for sure. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little too high for me, but that's just me. This guitar had no finish flaws but the tuning peg for the bottom E string was loose or got loose, so just take a screw driver and tighten it up. I've had no other problems since then. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand playing Live, the strap button is solid, I can depend on it, and I would use it in a gig without backup. I've had this guitar for almost a year now, I should know. The finish will last on the front but I'm not sure about the dark red finish on the rest of the body since I let it drop a couple of times on the neck and it's wearing off. // 7

Overall Impression: I play most types of rock so this guitar is a good match. I've been playing for a year and it's kept me entertained. If it were stolen I would buy it again. So the guitar itself is nice except for some part of the finish will wear off with a couple of bumps. The strings should be changed if you want to give it a more life to it. The gigbag is alright but I would suggest one with padding. And the tuner is only good if like playing in standard tuning. It's a starter guitar so think about this one if your getting into guitar. // 9

IJV50 Jumpstart Reviewed by: 3HitKO, on december 14, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar was made in '08 in Japan. It had 20 frets embedded into a rosewood fretboard. It had what looked like a laminated spruce top and mahogany back, sides, neck, and headstock. It had a Stellar natural finish that reminded me of a Taylor. The body was a dreadnought and it had the usual Acoustic bridge. // 10

Sound: I usually play classic rock but some of the songs require an excellent Acoustic sound (such as the Eagles, the Beach Boys, early Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson). This guitar delivers with ease despite the price. I can get a good bluegrass sound out of it without trying. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't usually care about the action unless I can't fret higher than the 7th fret. The action on this guitar was just perfect for me; not too high, not too low. The bridge worked best with GHS Jammers Lights (0.12-0.56). The only flaw I could find was that the low E string buzzed the first day I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I never played this alive but I think it would survive even a crazed Lollapalooza gig. The strap buttons never let me down and I once hung it from my neck and played without any arm support. I wouldn't bring it to a gig with a backup because it stays in tune easily and I once punched the body hard to prove it was "indestructable". The finish seemed solid and I never saw any wear. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and this guitar works for Eagles, Beatles, and Bob Dylan covers. I've been playing since 2007 and the successor to this guitar was a Silvertone Revolver. If someone stole this guitar from me, I'd buy another one because of the excellent price. // 10

IJV50 Jumpstart Reviewed by: mattwigan, on january 26, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar teacher

Features: The guitar is made in Japan in 2008. It has 20 frets on a rosewood fretboard with pearl dot inlays and has 6 strings. It as a laminated spruce top and agathis body, and headstock. The shape of the guitar is a dreadnought so is quite large to hold. The finish is natural and the bridge is standard. The tuning pegs are spade head shape tuners (I think). The guitar comes with a gig bag, tuner, guitar strap, picks and a small carry bag for the accessories. // 8

Sound: I play a range of music but mainly rock music anything from surf to metal but find that this is great when I play pop/rock (Oasis, Beautiful South, Snow Patrol etc) and Country music (Kenny Rodgers, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash). It sounds great for the price bracket and I can't complain at all about this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action as someone as already said was a little high so I sanded down the saddle and now its perfect and a joy to play. There were no flaws with the finish on the whole guitar which I thought was fantastic for the price. I did change the strings on it straight away to D'Addario strings so I can't review the stock strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As your not really rocking out with an acoustic I believe it is good enough to gig with but I would take a back up because not to would be crazy right?. I think the guitar would stand the test of time and I see no problem with it so far, also the strap buttons never let me down so far. // 8

Overall Impression: My summary for this guitar is that it is pretty inexpensive to buy and you do get alot for your money. Brand new it is probably around 90-100 tops, its well worth the money for a beginners acoustic. I must be honest I play alot on my electrics but wanted an acoustic for unplugged songs and I am so glad that I got a good one especially for the money I paid. Its much easier to pick up and play than an electric but you can leave it around the house and just pick it up and play (no leads, no amps, no fuss). I would seriously recommend this to anyone thinking on buying a budget acoustic and its much better than all the encores and other cheapo's for sale. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014