V70CE Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/16/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ibanez: V70CE
This guitar features 20 frets easily access-able because of the cutaway dreadnought shape.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.5
 8.3
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
V70CE Reviewed by: retka, on may 31, 2010

Features: Made in 2008, this guitar features 20 frets easily access-able because of the cutaway dreadnought shape. This guitar has a piezo pickup under the bridge and has a preamp with bass and treble eq. Switches along with a volume switch. The pickups are active and run off of a 9 volt battery. The stock tuners are closed tuners. The cable output is embedded inside the right side strap lock. // 8

Sound: This guitar produces a very bright sound. The strings that come on the guitar when purchased do not have a very good tone and sound very tinny and have no blending of sound on chords. Once replaced, the guitar's tone can be heard more clearly. All highs are produced clearly and effortlessly and can be heard on both the pickup and unplugged. However, the bass of the guitar suffers unplugged and can only be heard when boosted with the preamp when plugged in. While this guitar does not have the best tone, for the family of guitars in the $200 area, it has one of the better tones obtainable. This guitar will suit anybody wishing to play country, some blues, basic chords, and some basic Acoustic work. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup is not very good. Due to bad setup, my guitar already had a crack in the paint on the neck due to too much tension on the neck. The string height is decent of an Acoustic and can be adjusted to useful levels. However, chances are you will have to install fresh strings and do a complete setup to get the results you want of the guitar. Once a setup is done to match your needs, the guitar will stay in tune, keep the string height properly, and will overall play much better than originally from the factory. // 7

Reliability & Durability: While receiving the guitar with a crack in the paint job (around neck), no other major problems have arisen. The actual design, wood construction, structure, and parts of the guitar seem fairly strong and should hold out for several years without any major problems. While I do not gig on an acoustic, if I did, I would use this guitar as the main one with a backup. The hardware such as the straps, preamp, wiring, etc. Seem very sturdy. The finish also seems fairly thick and should not scratch very easily for an Acoustic guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play electric guitar and bass, but this guitar was purchased to act as my main Acoustic guitar. While not perfect, this guitar shines above many other guitars in the budget acoustic/electric category. If you are looking for a first Acoustic guitar or want one but can't afford a nicer one, this one would be a great choice. Again, while tone is not the best, this guitar offers nice features like a decent preamp and a cutaway shape to reach the higher frets without strain on your fingers. My only complaint about this guitar is the factory setup and that I wish it had better tone. // 7

V70CE Reviewed by: azedwick2, on february 16, 2015

Features: This guitar was made in China and it has a very nice, black finish - although because it is shiny and black, dust and fingerprints show up a lot on it. It has twenty frets and the neck and body were in very good shape when I got it. The control panel allows you to control the bass, treble, and volume and it has a battery light that glows when the battery is low, which is nice. It doesn't have a built in tuner, but I have my own tuner so that wasn't a big deal for me. The only thing I don't like about how it looks is that dust and dirt from fingers and stuff do show up quite a bit on it. // 9

Sound: I like to do fingerpicking and country music and I think that this guitar does that very well for me. The amplifier I use with is a Fender Champion 20 and it works ok with it although the metal settings for the voice don't sound as good as the other settings. It has a very rich, full sound and I like that a lot about it - with the amplifier it can do reverb, delay, and a wah effect. It doesn't have a whole lot of different effects, but it's an acoustic guitar that I use for country and quieter music mostly, so I wasn't really looking for a lot of effects anyway. This guitar, however, does occasionally buz a little bit, but not very much and not very often. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was put together rather well and everything seemed in place and adjusted properly. I spotted no problems with it at all in that aspect. The set-up was good, the pickups were well adjusted, everything about it was perfect. There were no loose tuning pegs or controls, which I have had problems with in my other guitar a little bit sometimes, and everything seemed very good and ready for use. I didn't have to do anything to get it ready to play, I just pulled it out of the box and I was good to go. In terms of how it was put together, fit, and finished - it was very well done. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a good guitar that I think will probably hold up very well over long periods of time and a lot of playing. The strap buttons are nice and solid and I think that it is very dependable. If I went to someplace to play it in front of a crowd I think that it would probably be fine without a backup. The finish has lasted well so far and I have used this guitar quite a bit. I accidentally scratched it in a few places, but it doesn't show up too much on the finish. So overall, I think that this is a durable, well made guitar that will last for a while. // 10

Overall Impression: I play country music and fingerpicking mostly and this guitar works very well for that. I've been teaching myself guitar for about two years and own one other guitar, a Matao, a capo, a footrest, and a Fender amplifier - the capo easily fits this guitar and the amplifier does a pretty good job together with it as well. If I were to lose it, I think that I would buy it again although maybe in a different color. I really love the sound that it gives out and it's easy to slide on the neck to make chord transitions so that's good. I think the only thing I really don't like is how much everything shows up on the finish and it's a little hard to get the dust out in-between the strings near the bottom of the guitar. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG927WZCZ 9.1 Electric Guitars 03/26/2015