KG1CEN Review

6.7
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
KG1CEN Reviewed by: Quantumdriven, on december 03, 2012

Purchased from: musciansdiscountwarehouse

Features: I bought a new Kona KG1CEN acoustic/electric/chromatic tuner/cutaway at discountmuscianswarehouse for $199.99 no tax or shipping. My only complaint is that they did the fancy and unnecessary "binding" of the headstock of a more than slightly twisted neck up high in the first fret and 1/2 region. The administrator at KonaHome.com claims the the nut is "compensated," but I say they merely cut the nut slot from shallow to very deep on the GBE side to get their butt halfway out of a sling on that particular unit, lol. // 7

Sound: It's alright. I'll never tell a whopper about it's as good as a Martin 'cause I've never touched a Martin. Wouldn't pee on a Martin, Gibson, Guild, or Breedlove if they were on fire baby. It's good enough, alright? I can feel reverberations in its neck and against my belly, so we're not talkin' about a total trash cardboard box guitar here with this one. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: That being said it's a dang good guitar, so good that I invested in the JLD anti belly system so as to freeze its top in time forever and ever - this was necessary, because as with most cheap guitars its saddle can't be shaved anymore without taking it below minimum specs on how much saddle should be above the bridge. True I could shave the bridge wood, but fer-cryin'-out-loud on a 7 month old guitar that's only got 1/32 inch of natural factory belly in it!?! So we're talkin' the proverbial bad neck-set here, okay? The bridge is fine and not sitting up like Ringo on a drum riser and the slot goes through to 1/64" from the soundboard. And on the matter with the twisted neck; it means that you'll never get the lowest playable action possible on your EAD string without buzzing on the first fret with your small E string. This is because it's impossible to compensate sand the bottom of a nut, okay? // 7

Reliability & Durability: When I get the money I'll for sure be employing a proper Tech to get me a good Tusq nut up there and custom file my string slots to razor close action that accounts for the twist in the neck. And yes its truss rod was set reasonably accurate for slight "relief" at the factory. It's not like some retard tightened it like crazy and caused that twist. // 7

Overall Impression: I also doubt very seriously that it's a "Solid Top" and I'm sickened at such claims. "Solid" as compared to what... Bounty tissue? Come on! You're not EVEN going to get a book-matched "Solid Top" from Kona unless they buy some of Gibson's rejected A-stock (as opposed to AAA-stock) solid blanks and they charge you at least $600 and hold you under contract to gig at least 15 times a month with their banner on your shirt, mic stand, and on the wall behind the amps. And gigging at the Daycare Center for your gf and friends don't count. But I must admit that the guitar is otherwise solid. No way that could be "tone wood" purging and bracing in there but it was well done. And all the bracing is generously scalloped thin planks with sharply crowned tops, as opposed to the shamefully big Lincoln Logs some guitars throw in against their tops. But I will say they used some sort of fast drying shiny and non tonal synthetic glue... But hey, speed is the key and it IS a $199.99 no tax or shipping guitar. The chromatic tuner included on the EG unit is great. I can't speak to the EQ 'cause I don't have an acoustic amp, so of course it sounds like crap through my Orange Crush 15R amp ran through a DigiTech's acoustic model amp. Btw its EQ is called a Prener-LC whatever that is, and I say they missed the boat by not including a Bypass switch that would just let you take the raw piezo without the EQ - zeroing out all the settings except for volume is not the same. Anyway I say nail down one of these babies if you dare. Maybe your neck wont be twisted. But if it is like I said a good Tech can custom cut you a nut and slots to account for that anomaly. I'm just a dirt poor sucker is why I haven't been to a Tech yet. And to be honest I'm afraid I'd break an "attitude" Tech's jaw if he rolled his eyes about my guitar that's, "...Not worth what my fee to fix it is man..." Kaboom!

// 7

More Kona reviews rating category latest review
+ KG1N 7.7 Acoustic Guitars 06/15/2012