FL650 Fandango Review

manufacturer: Kremona date: 03/17/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Kremona: FL650 Fandango
This cutaway nylon-string acoustic guitar is quite cool. It has the wide neck typical of classical guitars, and has and spans 18 frets.
 9.4
 9.2
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
FL650 Fandango Reviewed by: Shredalist, on march 17, 2006

Purchased from: Skip's Music

Features: Made in Bulgaria 2004, this cutaway nylon-string acoustic guitar is quite cool. It has the wide neck typical of classical guitars, and has and spans 18 frets. It has a solid spruce top, back and sides of walnut veneer, gloss finish, and a rosewood fingerboard. It has an active Fishman Classic 4 pickup which has controls for: bass, treble, mid, volume, and brilliance. Straight up meet and potatoes setup. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classical repertoire, flamenco rip-offs, and acoustic madness spawned from the void in my head. It plays all of the above very well. The signal can get quite harsh, but only if you crank the Treble and Brilliance all the way up. However, when you tweak it the right way, it has an amazingly rich and full sound. Damn me to guitar hell if you wish, but I plug this into my Line 6 Spider II 112 amp. It sounds incredible! Especially when you turn the reverb all the way up. Harmonics come quite easy and "sul tasto" playing sounds particularly warm. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had no flaws in its mint state; it played like a dream from the beginning. The action was quite normal and the pickups were exactly as I needed them. No structural problems whatsoever. The finsh, a high gloss, was done quite well, with the exception that it gets damaged a tad easier than I would like. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has stood up to live playing with no problems, with the hardware never being a cause for concern. There are no strap buttons to speak of, so why worry about them? I can depend on it and have used it without a backup with no foreboding feeling looming in the back of my mind. Like I said, the finish seems quite thin, but it's not like I headbang while playing this bad boy. // 8

Overall Impression: With this guitar I play classical repertoire, esoteric Folk, and other musings. It plays everything exceedingly well. My other guitar is an electric Yamaha EG112C. My amp is my Line 6 Spider. I've no regrets with this guitar; it's everything I want thus far. If it were stolen, I would paste my guitar's picture on telephone poles and fences everywhere (there's no Amber Alert for guitars). I love its rich and warm sound, and the fact that its electronics allow much tonal freedom (the cutaway kicks ass too). I've played other classical guitars before, and they didn't have the cutaway or the dynamic sound quality that this guitar has. A steal in my opinion. // 10

Comments