Concert Review

manufacturer: La Patrie date: 10/01/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
La Patrie: Concert
It's the top-of-the-line of the mahogany/cedar models. It receives eight coats of lacquer that are buffed down to a highly responsive high gloss finish. This special process takes eight days to complete.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Concert Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar Shop

Features: The Concert is the top-of-the-line of the mahogany/cedar models. It receives eight coats of lacquer that are buffed down to a highly responsive high gloss finish. This special process takes eight days to complete. It's a 2003 calssical guitar. It has 19 frets. There are no electronics, no cutaway, just a plain, nice looking classic guit. All the regular woods for this guitar. The binding on the font and back of the body really is a nice touch. It is a full sized classical body. // 10

Sound: This solid Cedar top guitar sounds like a charm! The mahogany neck feels incredibly confortable, the trust rod helps to make it thiner. The sound is awesome as usual with the mahogany/cedar combo. The bases are strong and the mids are fantastic. Fairly clear tone up to the end of the fretboard, fairly responsive bass. But the highs are bright and the volume is above average with factory strings. You just should replace them immediately. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The woodgrain is perfectly bookmatched and the finish is nice. Laquer finish body and natural neck feels good. Rosette is silly with little butterflies on it. The neck is straight and the frets are even. The nut may be hand cut. Well balanced even with a truss rod. Action seems fine, no buzzing anywhere even when played loud. The finish is superb and all fret posts are parrellel with each other. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid guitar. Much more than you would thing in this price range. The neck shows little signs of wear. Sides and back are fine. The table should be protected from some cracking by the binding around the top and back. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar sounds much better than other much more expensive guitars and the craftmanship is just superb. This is a great classical guitar, great sound, easy to play. It's one of the cheaper solid-top with a solid tone guitars that you could find on the market. Overall this is excellent instrument! // 10

Concert Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2012

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Shop in downtown Kitchener

Features: Bought it used from a second-hand shop, so I'm not sure the exact year. It's pretty new I think. Handmade in Canada with solid Cedar top, solid mahogany back and sides. Newer style classical with a truss rod to easily adjust the action even down very low for Spanish/Flamenco style. Tuners are pretty cheap, but I haven't had any problems with them yet. In any case, these are easily replaced. Plain, no-nonsense construction. For the price, you can't beat this quality. // 9

Sound: Very mellow sound. Lows and mids are very rich, with lows perhaps a bit too boomy because of the Cedar top. The highs are also a bit flat--I'd like them to ring out more. I don't think I'd be too ashamed to play concerts with it, assuming I had the virtuosity. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Construction is flawless. I did have problems at first with the high action. This may have been why it was sold to begin with. But it's extremely easy to adjust because of the truss rod and simple, straight bridge (you can actually just slide it sideways to lower it instead of sanding it down if you don't mind the asymmetry). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The bolts holding on the neck got loose. To get at them I had to tear away a piece paper covering them. The tuner bolts may also have gotten loose, but this is pretty normal. Haven't had any other problems with it yet. At the moment it's the best guitar I own so I'm hoping it will last a long time yet. I've taken it any number of places gig bag slung over my back while riding on a bicycle, so I think it would stand up well to touring. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all styles on it, even classical! But seriously, I play a little classical, but a lot of the time I just strum rock, Folk and country though I think the cutaway version would be better for those styles. Overall I'm very happy with this guitar, although if it were lost or stolen, I might rather have one with a spruce top for more brilliant highs. Also, it's a Canadian guitar - so why not use Canadian wood for the whole thing, like Maple for the back and sides? Save the rainforests! If I get another Canadian-made guitar, I'd like one with all Canadian wood. Mine is a lefty which I believe is available on all models at no extra charge. La Patrie deserves extra points for that alone. Probably one of the best classical guitars for the price - excellent quality, excellent value and made in Canada! // 9

More La Patrie reviews rating category latest review