Presentation Review

manufacturer: La Patrie date: 01/12/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
La Patrie: Presentation
The La Patrie Presentation is an excellent classical guitar at an amazing value. I highly recommend this guitar!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.4
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Presentation Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2012

Purchased from: Local Guitar Studio

Features: Purchased in fall of 2011, old model. Specs: - 19 frets on a genuine Rosewood fretboard with mahogany neck - Solid Spruce top and solid Indian Rosewood sides and back - Semi-gloss lacquer finish - Rosewood bridge with compensated saddle - Manufactured in Canada The La Patrie Presentation includes all the features necessary for the classical guitarist, with all-solid tonewoods and a wide neck perfect for classical pieces. And all this for $700! The only thing missing from this guitar is a pickup. The guitar is absolutely beautiful - so much so I take it out of its case every day just to look at the gorgeous natural grain of the Indian Rosewood. The overall design of the guitar (especially the rosette) is very simple, allowing the beauty of the natural woods to Shine through. // 9

Sound: The standout feature of the La Patrie Presentation is the sound. This guitar sounds absolutely amazing. Rich, deep tones from the bass and clear, sparkling highs from the treble - the solid tonewoods have an incredible, natural sound. Sounds excellent whether you are playing fast or slow, loud or soft! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up appropriately when I purchased the guitar (it was a floor model at a small local business), and there were no obvious flaws on the guitar except for a few tiny scuffs on the pearl-colored trim. Have dealt with occasional buzzing when playing open strings, but that is probably due to the solid woods changing in response to humidity and temperature. Buzzing has never lasted more than a few days! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Recently, I noticed two shallow cracks in the solid rosewood back, near the bracing on both sides of the guitar's waste. This is probably due to the solid changing as a result of humidity and temperature (I am sorry to say I have not bothered to keep the guitar climate-controlled). Both cracks seem to not affect the structural integrity or the sound of the guitar, so hopefully they can be easily fixed! In addition, my wild rasgueados and strumming have created a few small scratches on the guitar's top. Although I am totally responsible for this, I would have appreciated a more durable finish or even a pickguard (Yes, on a classical!) Overall, the guitar has held up fine and I expect to have it for many years to come. // 7

Overall Impression: The La Patrie Presentation is an excellent classical guitar at an amazing value. This guitar is worth purchasing at $700 just for the beautiful solid tonewoods, not to mention it is made in Canada (not China or Taiwan, etc.). I highly recommend this guitar! // 9

Presentation Reviewed by: justjazz77, on january 12, 2015

Price paid: C$ 475

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: I recently purchased a new LaPatrie Presentation classical guitar. This is an all solid wood instrument featuring a cedar top and rosewood back and sides. It also has a satin finish. Apparently I have to use up 500 characters. Not sure why that is a requirement. Anyway, the Godin folks can't tell me when this was made. I don't know if they don't keep records or don't really care when an instrument is produced. I can only assume mine is probably no more than a year and a half old. Hard to say. // 10

Sound: This guitar, to my ears, does not sound like a traditional Spanish hand made classical. But I don't think it is supposed to. It is a nylon string guitar, and should appeal to most players, especially coming from a steel string background. I play jazz and other instrumentals on this instrument. It has a lush bass and clear trebles and that's what I was looking for in a low price quality guitar. I suppose one could play classical music on it but to me it sounds better playing modern tunes. But in reality this is much more than an entry level guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar shines. From the factory it was perfect. Intonation was outstanding, and the action didn't need any adjustment. Inside the guitar was as clean as any acoustic guitar I've ever seen. The back and sides matched very well. All joints and surfaces neatly joined and aligned. No bridge gaps or gaps anywhere on the guitar. Tuners are ok but are not high quality. They do suffice however. The neck is perhaps a little chuncky compared to a Taylor classical, but that can be overcome with positioning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the guitar long enough to comment. But I have had others from this manufacturer and they were built to last. I will probably put some strap pegs on this guitar at some point. It is painful drilling into the nice finish and wood to do that but when it is over, it is worth it. The finish is very light and can dent easily, that much is true. But I don't really care about that. A guitar is meant to be played. I don't collect guitars, I play them. And a ding here or there is going to happen. // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier I play strictly instrumentals on this guitar. It matches my style 100%. There is nothing on the market that I've seen that even comes close to it in this price range or even double. I know that sounds cliché but I really mean that. I've been at this game for over 40 years now so I think I know a great instrument when I see/hear it. If you are interested please try one. Trust your ears. Don't just take anyone's opinion as holy grail. Just to fill some space I also chose this guitar as it is made in my country. I am tired of Asian instruments, especially from China. // 9

More La Patrie reviews rating category latest review