000-28 Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 04/05/2004 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: 000-28
Solid Sitka Spruce Top. Solid East Indian Rosewood Body.
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
000-28 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2004

Purchased from: Coda Music, Luton, UK

Features: Year 2003, US made 000 acoustic guitar, with all solid woods - sitka spruce on top, I bought this guitar in April 2003. Gloss finish. 14 frets to body without pickup. Hardshell case included. // 10

Sound: As a delta blues player, the 00-28 suits me perfectly, (even "Old Slowhand" uses one - see Unplugged). The sound is mellow and sweet, and I have only had it for 12 months. As it matures over the years, I'm certain it can only get better! The thing is - I ENJOY playing this instrument, it is always a pleasure, never a chore. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The first thing I noticed on opening the case was the beautiful smell of wood, and it is still a pleasure everytime I open the case. The finish was excellent, as is to be expected with a quality high-end Martin. The frets were beautifully finished, and the action was just right. I changed the strings immediately to Elixir Nanowebs lights, and the action remains spot-on! The first strum of the day just brings a smile to my face, and it's a sunny day... // 10

Reliability & Durability: My guitar gets used daily, and I have come to rely on it; indeed, it's my benchmark when trying other guitars. I have no problems with it staying in tune, as the quality of the tuners is up to the mark. I use it for practice, writing and playing live, and would feel uneasy playing live without it. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated above, I'm a bluesman although I'll have a bash at other stuff at parties. All the old blues favourites like Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Arthur Blake, Bill Broonzy are complemented by Eric Clapton and Beatles (I know - not blues). The Martin carries it off with ease. I started playing in 1960 and own 11 other guitars, but the Martin 00-28 is the one of choice. // 10

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ OM-28E Retro 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/04/2013